PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dublinpiper90

Can't Leave
Jul 31, 2023
North Carolina
I'm new to English blends, so far the early morning pipe is my fav, I enjoy night cap however it didn’t take long to learn is a very slow smoke for me or its a nicotine bomb, has anyone tried my mixture 965 or know a blend similar to early morning pipe. 🔥

Last edited by a moderator:

Coreios

Lifer
Sep 23, 2022
United States Of America
Revelation, Barking Dog, are fantastic.,......my fav Balkan Sabranie. I didn't get a big nic hit out of Nightcap. I smoke KY. Fire blending straight though so probably just me. But those are all good blends. My wife can tolerate Burma Road which isn't the best in my opinion however, it satisfies me and I can be around her. When I get tired of her I smoke Nightcap.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Im new to English blends, so far the early morning pipe is my fav, I enjoy night cap however it didn’t take long to learn is a very slow smoke for me or its a nicotine bomb, has anyone tried my mixture 965 or know a blend similar to early morning pipe. 🔥
From the same stable but now no longer -
available Dunhill Durbar and Dunhill London Mixture

Not sure why STG mothballed those 2 blends

midcentry

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
Utah
I'm in the same boat, love EMP and Nightcap, but never got around to trying 965. Scored a really good deal on a Dunhill MM965 tin that i will be getting today, so i will report back once that gets popped!

Reactions: FLDRD

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You might llke to try C&D Stratfordshire. It's strong but nicely balanced, plus it comes in bulk so you can sample an ounce or two without committing to a whole tin. Also you might sample C&D Tuggle Hall, which has the unique feature of being burley baed, also in bulk. I find 965 enjoyable, and it is available in a "match" blend in bulk.

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Im new to English blends, so far the early morning pipe is my fav, I enjoy night cap however it didn’t take long to learn is a very slow smoke for me or its a nicotine bomb, has anyone tried my mixture 965 or know a blend similar to early morning pipe. 🔥
I always thought Old Dublin was extremely similar though, in my opinion, a bit more latakia forward. If you really like lat bombs, try Star of the East

Reactions: dublinpiper90

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I'm new to English blends, so far the early morning pipe is my fav, I enjoy night cap however it didn’t take long to learn is a very slow smoke for me or its a nicotine bomb, has anyone tried my mixture 965 or know a blend similar to early morning pipe. 🔥
I see this is quite old, but I'll cast a 2nd vote for Presbyterian being quite similar to EMP and enjoyable.
I don't think MM965 is similar, but I like it, perhaps Old Dublin just a little better, and really love NightCap.

Reactions: kcghost

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Personally, I favor EMP to 965 as it's a little more full. 965 is a pretty light blend to me, but you may like that. It's a decent morning blend, but I happen to favor EMP or Skiff myself.
Funny how different tastes/perceptions are............. I've always found 965 richer and fuller than EMP. I love them both!

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Not much experience with emp, but 965 is a classic marvelous blend. One of my favorites and I enjoy sweet Latakia blends. I've not had the Peterson version...I have a reasonable cellar and don't smoke much, but I hear it's the same as it has been in the past.

It's not a nicotine bomb to me.

Reactions: beefeater33

hoipolloiglasgow

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 14, 2023
United States
I'd also like to add, in the more mild/morning Englishes, you may want to try Skiff or Squadron Leader. Skiff is a little bit fuller to me than Squadron Leader so you may prefer the latter. Also, McConnell's Oriental is another great light English. Has black cavendish in it and a light latakia condiment. It's in the 965 realm, but has more Orientals and I personally prefer it. If you like EMP, you may really like it.

Last edited:

londonbriar

Lurker
Apr 17, 2019
London-ish, UK
I have had the Peterson version. It's very good, well worth trying and freely available.

There were times when 965 was perhaps the iconic latakia mixture. One that you really had to try (along with EMP and Nightcap) if you were a pipe smoker.

Basically, this was after Balkan Sobranie had disappeared, but before the explosion in artisanal tobaccos. Circa late 90s/ early 2000.

Nowadays it's considered just one of many. It hasn't changed much, though. But scroll back on Tobacco Reviews and you'll see people waxing lyrical about this stuff.

JackofNone

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 22, 2023
Central New Jersey
www.youtube.com
My thoughts on EMP, Nightcap, and MM 965 as they relate to one another:

These are all solid blends. Nightcap is one of my favorite blends. I found 965 to be the sweetest of the three, however I have not smoked EMP in quite some time since I favor latakia in the evenings. EMP is the best compliment to a nice mug of coffee in my opinion. The coffee brings out more bitterness from the blend which I find it is lacking compared to leather-couch Nightcap. With 965 you're getting some cavendish which drowns the latakia a little bit for me, but if you pay attention, it's all there. The sutliff match for nightcap with some pure latakia thrown in is a very stout mixture that is much cheaper per oz. I use my real nightcap sparingly and for special occasions. If you like nightcap as a beginner, (I am one as well), you will probably like perique and dark fired blends. I lack words to describe dark fired tobacco, but if latakia is bittersweet, dark fired is just bitter. Everyone likes different things and relates to them individually. I would encourage you to learn about different leaves, or just try a good bunch of blends with different leaves. I never thought I'd be a VaPer guy, but I'm finding that certain VaPer's are more enjoyable than the holy grail of nightcap. I gave aromatics a good run, but I struggle to enjoy them. All this to say, give everything a fair shot because these leaves offer different flavor profiles that may cater to you better than others, and may cater to certain situations better than others.

Happy Piping!