PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
This is absolutely bizarre. My guess is that the earliest ones came with the large stamp but the decision makers thought it was too bold, created the smaller stamp, then all subsequent stamps had the smaller one.

Did the 1981 hallmarks predate the serialized series that were x/1000?

I’m going to tag my usual references to chime in in case they know @ashdigger @RustiePyles CPG
I want to say the 1981 pipes without the x/1000 numbers were seconds from that original run

Reactions: AroEnglish

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Maybe not a certified one but those certification tests are a racket anyway. Any no, I’m not just bitter because I got it wrong too.
Oh I’m definitely certified…😜

Edit: memory is a funny thing. I was certain that the original drop was X/400 gold mounted pipes, followed by X/1000 silver mounted ones, and then 1000 unnumbered, so 2400 in total.

• Haha

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Ok updated speculation:

x/400 got the stamp that we know. When the unnumbered batch was being produced in 1981 they wanted to set them apart more than just not having the serialized numbers so they created the large stamps. Started doing a few/many this way until they realized it looked like 💩. They go back to the old, small stamp and don’t look back.

Reactions: Ahi Ka

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Ok updated speculation:

x/400 got the stamp that we know. When the unnumbered batch was being produced in 1981 they wanted to set them apart more than just not having the serialized numbers so they created the large stamps. Started doing a few/many this way until they realized it looked like 💩. They go back to the old, small stamp and don’t look back.
Yet they only produced 1 ?!?!?

I guess my original post should have been to request comments by others with the odd stamp!

• Love

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
He wanted to jump through a hoop and you obliged him. I’d say you’re very kind.
I would not have even told the story, except he told me he doesn't participate in pipe forums. All I told him was that he just needs to read the PetersonPipeNotes blog, participate in any event, and he'll get sent a PDF certificate.

Now me - I have the mugs, the hat, the travel tobacco containers, have bought the last two 'Pete Geek of the Year' pipes, and participate in every single event. That is WHY they call us 'Geeks'!!! 😍

verporchting

Lifer
Dec 30, 2018
I rather like the notion that someone tried a stamp on an otherwise fine pipe but the powers that be didn’t fancy it and that you have a unique test case. It certainly could be the case, right? I have a hard time imagining someone binning a nice pipe that would certainly be enjoyed by a Pete enthusiast for an unusual stamp. Probably figured out if the number of pipes sold there would be little chance of being noticed or remarked on, especially on the nonexistent internet! What are the odds pre internet of it being noticed? Rank speculation but it holds water I think?

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
I rather like the notion that someone tried a stamp on an otherwise fine pipe but the powers that be didn’t fancy it and that you have a unique test case. It certainly could be the case, right? I have a hard time imagining someone binning a nice pipe that would certainly be enjoyed by a Pete enthusiast for an unusual stamp. Probably figured out if the number of pipes sold there would be little chance of being noticed or remarked on, especially on the nonexistent internet! What are the odds pre internet of it being noticed? Rank speculation but it holds water I think?
Well, I was looking for unbiased ideas about this stamp, but my personal thoughts were that they made the 'odd' stamp first - number unknown - then decided it wasn't so great and went to the one we're familiar with. Since it was in a normal box with papers, I'm guessing they made a number of these before changing the stamp, and someone will chime in here with another example.

But the terrible line down the side really surprises me - it was an original 1981 issue, so you'd think that on an early run example they would notice things like this and at least finish the stem correctly.

Hey, it was just an oddity I thought I'd share for discussion, so thanks to all. I have plenty of Peterson oddities that I'll share as time permits.