PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Here are two 1981 hallmarked Peterson Mark Twain pipes. Both are normal issue (not the numbered ones).

The main difference is the stamps - I've never seen another Mark Twain, from any year, with the large stamp that is perpendicular to the band stamping. Another difference is the ferrule size - slightly taller, but thinner cap walls (where the tenon inserts). Final difference is the molded ridge that runs up the side of the oddball pipe. It was even more pronounced when the pipe arrived, but the feel of it was very obnoxious so I took off enough to where you can't feel it, but preserved the fact that it was there.

The stummel is pretty much identical, as is the stem (both have the embossed 'P').

I'm curious what other Peterson collectors think about this - the odd one arrived with the normal red box and papers.

BcmI9o2.jpeg

HagXJBw.jpeg

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Hazarding a guess ... 'junior craftsman' vs 'Craftsman' ? I have seen pete's with perpendicular stamps vs horizontal before and often wondered why ? I assumed the craftsman couldn't stamp the curve and wanted a clear print. Less than 2 cent opinion. They are both nice pipes though. Good score.
That's a good guess, but the 'wrong' stamp has much larger fonts.

Reactions: Hillcrest

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
That's a good guess, but the 'wrong' stamp has much larger fonts.
Why wrong stamp ?? Write to them and ask...I'm sure they have different size stamps. I would also guess the left one in first picture is far more recent manufacture based on the briar grain. The right one seems vintage to me and the left of recent make. I have noticed more darker grain pipes of late (which I now avoid as too hot).

• Wow
Reactions: Scottmi

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Why wrong stamp ?? Write to them and ask...I'm sure they have different size stamps. I would also guess the left one in first picture is far more recent manufacture based on the briar grain. The right one seems vintage to me and the left of recent make.
They both have 1981 hallmarks. Yes, Peterson has loads of different stamps. But I've never seen this one before, thus the post.

As far as contacting Peterson about something that happened 43 years ago - much more likely to get the answer here.

Reactions: FLDRD and Hillcrest

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
They both have 1981 hallmarks. Yes, Peterson has loads of different stamps. But I've never seen this one before, thus the post.

As far as contacting Peterson about something that happened 43 years ago - much more likely to get the answer here.
Clearly ... a rarity ! (Errors, Freaks, and Oddities in Stamp Collecting can be worth a fortune !! ;)) Congratulations !!

Reactions: Scottmi

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
Mine has the shank stamp parallel to the ferrule stamp. Think it's an '85, judging by the "L" in the hallmark. The ferrule itself seems about halfway in size between your two. As for the ridge left on the pipe stem, somebody wasn't doing their job. I like these pipes because they're like a Deluxe, but with a tapered stem, my preference. It's also the only bent I own that I enjoy smoking at all. I've got a few others, but they suck. (Just my opinion, folks. Need I say?)

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
No Peterson pipes are identical, I have collected them for over 50yrs, just think about the production line, who carved it ? who Stained it ? who bent the stem ? who fitted the stem ? who did the silver work and who passed it at the end of production ? I'm sure I have missed something out but please realize that crafting a pipe is not always accurate, both of your pipes are correct..

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
No Peterson pipes are identical, I have collected them for over 50yrs, just think about the production line, who carved it ? who Stained it ? who bent the stem ? who fitted the stem ? who did the silver work and who passed it at the end of production ? I'm sure I have missed something out but please realize that crafting a pipe is not always accurate, both of your pipes are correct..
I have over 200 Petersons currently and have sold 100 or so in the last few years. Trust me - this is an anomaly. The stamp is the main issue - did I already say that? 😖

• Love
Reactions: AroEnglish

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
Post-lunch production - after one too many Guinnesses ? 🤔

Were it a stamp, you would have hit the jackpot with that rarity. ;)

No, it's a stamp, not a Guinness-induced carving, I don't sell pipes like this, and if I did, it would probably bring less than the other versions of this pipe.

So we're no closer to an answer than before I posted, but I appreciate the participation.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
This is absolutely bizarre. My guess is that the earliest ones came with the large stamp but the decision makers thought it was too bold, created the smaller stamp, then all subsequent stamps had the smaller one.

Did the 1981 hallmarks predate the serialized series that were x/1000?

I’m going to tag my usual references to chime in in case they know @ashdigger @RustiePyles CPG

runscott

Lifer
Jun 3, 2020
Washington State
This is absolutely bizarre. My guess is that the earliest ones came with the large stamp but the decision makers thought it was too bold, created the smaller stamp, then all subsequent stamps had the smaller one.

Did the 1981 hallmarks predate the serialized series that were x/1000?

I’m going to tag my usual references to chime in in case they know @ashdigger @RustiePyles CPG

That's what I'm thinking - it looked 'wrong' and they changed the stamp quickly. I think the 1981 hallmark also applied to the x/1000.

It would be great if @RustiePyles CPG gave his opinion. I already mentioned this thread to him via PM.