Peterson 314 or 317? Who Has Both?

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

randelli

Preferred Member
Nov 21, 2015
So I am looking at getting a Peterson pipe. I saw a cool one in a pipe store in Austin. The sales guy was smoking it while I was there. I didn't ask him what it was; but I remember it being a small bent apple shape.
Fast forward. I saw a Peterson chart that broke their system piles into large/medium/small sizes and from that I think he must have had either the 314 or 317. In my mind I see a 314 that is the size of the 317 but that can't be the case I guess. My idea is that the bowl was actually less round than I remember or the pipe was larger than I thought.
Looking online does not give me any feel for the scale of these two pipes. Seems like everyone zooms in to fill the space so size is hard to determine. I wonder if anyone here has both pipes and would mind posting a pic of them together? Something in the frame to show scale, like a hand, would be helpful as well.
I would like the pros and cons of each from someone who has or has smoked both too. I want to make an informed decision if I am going to get one.
Thanks for the input!

bassbug

Preferred Member
Dec 29, 2016
randelli,
I kinda replied in my thread on the fondling the 70 year old.

agnosticpipe

Preferred Member
Nov 3, 2013
This is funny because I am smoking my 317 right now with some Peterson's Hyde Park. I'm not joking, it's true, and it's one of my favorite Peterson pipes. Yes it is small, but that's what I like about it. Easy to clench, just right for a shorter smoke, (20-30 min.) and easy to take care of. I have larger system pipes, but I still come back to this more often. If you already have any larger pipes, this is a sweet smaller pipe for many occasions. Try it, you'll like it!

mortonbriar

Preferred Member
Oct 25, 2013
I only have the 317, but agree with Orley, its such a great small pipe, my favourite small pipe. it is light and hugs your face, if I am out for a walk I barely need to take it out of my mouth, very comfortable.
Isaac

randelli

Preferred Member
Nov 21, 2015
You know, it might just be the 303 that I'm after. It seems to fit in between the 314 and 317; and it is an apple shape. I always thought it was like the 302 until I saw them side by side. The 303 is on the bottom.

randelli

Preferred Member
Nov 21, 2015
So let me modify my request to see a 303, 314, and 317 side by side. That would be very helpful.
I have the dimensions for each of these; but that doesn't illustrate the angle of the bowl, or the curve of the stem, etc.
Anyone have all three?

drwatson

Preferred Member
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I had both, lost my 317 while fishing. It is alot smaller, but it was a good smoker. If you are looking for small the 160 is about the same size as the 317.

randelli

Preferred Member
Nov 21, 2015
I have spent the day missing out on 314 & 317 bids... the bidding gets to a point where, for not much more, I can just buy a new pipe.
What is your general rule of thumb on leaving a bid lay? 60% of value? 80%?

bassbug

Preferred Member
Dec 29, 2016
A brand new 317 is $120 on smokingpipes.com.
A quick search on eBay shows a few new 317's from the UK at $73 and a few more at $144.
I realize that an almost $50 price difference is significant, but on smokingpipes, you have two distinct advantages.
1. The pipe you see is the pipe you get

2. Should there be an issue, i suspect their return policy is much more buyer friendly
A possible third advantage is shipping domestically (or, in my case to Canada) that is probably safer and and quicker.
To me, that's worth the extra money. I am in no way affiliated with smoking pipes.com.
I am almost completely ignorant on evaluating estate pipes from photos, so I can't really be of much help there, but I would expect that like any "used" item, the price should not exceed 50%-60% of the new price, depending on age and condition.
Of course, antique or very rare items are the exception, assuming they are legitimate.
EDIT: Given that a decent pipe should be with you at least 10 years (if you like it) the $50 difference works out to less than 50 cents a month :)

randelli

Preferred Member
Nov 21, 2015
Would you mind posting a pic of all three together? It would satisfy my curiosity...