PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tunek

Lurker
Jul 16, 2013
Any firsthand experience with any of those two?
http://www.peterson.ie/p/5295/314-standard
http://www.peterson.ie/p/5296/317-standard
I'm looking to get one...I'm a beginner BTW...I have Mr. Brog Old boy....
Thanks,
Anton

piperl12

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 7, 2012
I have the 317, it is a TINY bowl. Both in the hand and for tobacco chamber. Very light little pipe. If a woman was looking for a dainty pipe this would be perfect. In retrospect I wish I had got a bigger bowl pipe. It would take you about 10 to 15min to smoke a full bowl.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I have looked into both in the past and while similar the 317 is much smaller. Between the two, I would decide simply on size and how long you want you want your smokes to be. The 314 is a more "standard" size (about 3/4" bowl) while the 317 is only about 2/3".
If you only have the one other pipe, then I would recommend the 314. Personally, I see the 317 as a more niche pipe for short smokes, flakes, and/or walking ("lunting") as it's a bit lighter.

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
I had a 317 and while I enjoyed it for short smokes I hardly used it as it just looked to ridiculous..... I even got accused of it being a toy pipe it was so small.

bluesmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 21, 2013
I have a 314. It's comparable in size and capacity to a 303. The 314 is one of my favorites, a great smoke.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I have a 317. I smoke it all day long, every day. No rest, no rest needed. My uncle does the same with his.
Not sure where you guys get 10 minute smoke from, but you must smoke very quickly, or smoke ribbon cut?. I get 30 minutes out of mine easily, and I have folded and stuffed a flake and gotten an hour out of mine. I do smoke very slowly, to savour the best flavor. A full bowl of Prince Albert easily lasts me 15 minutes. A standard sized pipe bowl lasts me a VERY long time....too long!
Reasons I like the 317:
1) It does not need rest. Mine smokes sweet, has no bad smells, smokes dry every time, no gurgle. I smoke about 10 bowls a day, every day without fail. My GOTO beat around pipe that never complains, and stays dry. Easy to clean. I give it a pipe cleaner or two each day, wipe the system well out with a napkin, and use alcohol in the stem every week or so.
2) I smoke about every hour. I'm not going to carry more than one pipe, and I'm not going to carry a crapload of pipe cleaners. I carry my pipe, some tobacco, a lighter, and a pipe tool. That's it folks. With the 317, that's all you need. It breaks down, and you can clean the draw hole out with the pick, if needed.
3) It breaks down hot because of the army mount. I break it down right after smoking, dump any moisture from the system, and put it into my jeans pocket, with no worries about breaking it. If I'm mid-smoke and need to enter a store, because it is bent, it is no problem to stick it into my pocket without worrying about dumping hot ash. I'll even leave the store sometimes and be able to smoke without even relighting. I have taken this pipe on backpacking trips into the Sierra's, to Mexico, and soon to Europe. 100% sure that it will not fail me, and it won't need a backup.
4) I don't think it looks silly at all. I think going about town with a large pipe looks sillier, to be honest. Those are good for home, but out and about, clenching a small pipe is easier and the way to go.
Okay...so I'm a little biased. I say get both. I bet you will smoke the 317 more.

• Love
Reactions: Nevaditude

flakyjakey

Lifer
Aug 21, 2013
I agree with Bryanf, get both. I have used both in the past and still have the 317. I would use the 314 for Va flakes and the 317 for strong tobaccos or when you don't want a long smoke for any other reason.

jgriff

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
I disagree. While I like Peterson system pipes, I wouldn't recommend them for both the 2nd and 3rd pipe a beginner gets. They are too similar and odds are if you're ready to spend $200-$250 on pipes, you suddenly have alot of other options.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
I actually have both, and love them both!. But I do tend to grab the 314 alittle more. For me it is just a great pipe. I think the 317 has enough room, but is smaller. You could get both, if you look on ebay there is a guy in England that sells them new much cheaper then you will find here.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Been thinking about it a little. I smoke "on the go" most of the time, and that is why the 317 works great for me. It is NOT the pipe to have, if you mainly smoke 1 or 2 bowls a day in the comfort of your own home.
If that is the case, I would go with the 314. Sorry...don't want you to end up with the "wrong" pipe for you.
It just depends on your style of smoking, I think.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
@bryanf ok buddy you have thrown down the gauntlet lol I am going to have to time a smoke in my 317. There has to be a way to get 30min and if there is I am all about trying to figure out how. Bryan I'll report back on how I do!

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
Haha piper. It's easy. Fold and stuff a flake in there. I packed a flake of erinmore in mine really tight, and that's when I timed it at an hour. It smoked pretty well packed that tight, but I usually rub out completely and still get about 30 minutes, with maybe 3 relights. Let us know!

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
Had a 314 and sold it here, it had the fishtail stem and that didn't work out for me. A good 20-45 minute smoke depending of what you put in it.

I have a 317, it's the smallest System Peterson makes, and one of their smallest pipes. Because I smoke mainly Flakes, I agree to the possibility of a half hour smoke out of that little bowl.

The main thing about Peterson Systems is that you HAVE to empty out the well after each smoke, otherwise it will run all over and into your mouth by the second or third bowl full. I don't know about the larger Systems ( I have also a 303 bent apple and the 31 straight billiard ) but the moisture generated by one bowl, especially in the 317, is enough to spill around the stem if you lay the pipe on its' side afterwards.

Other than that, they are fine smoking instruments.

4dotsasieni

Jan 6, 2013
+1 to bryanf. Methinks piper doth puff WAAY to quickly. I have a 317, and routinely get 30 to 35 minute smokes from it, and I think that I'm a fairly fast puffer. On the downside, I did have a problem with stain leaching from the bowl onto my hand whilst smoking this pipe.

bullbriar

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2013
I have a 314 and a 312. I love them both, but I like the 314 the best. The 312 is a bit large, while the 314 is just right. I looked at the 317, but it seemed way to small.

Good Luck.

tunek

Lurker
Jul 16, 2013
thanks! great info, I should try hold both of them in my hands before buying one...just to get a feel for them...

Status
Not open for further replies.