PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
fitzy, oh yes, roth was something of a Forums all-star. He knew his pipes, tobacco, pipe history, and more. He was an extra smart edgy guy who managed to get in (if I remember) about 17K posts before his competitive nature finally crossed wires with management here.
It was a little over 15k, which was the record at that time, but who's counting? :D
I wasn't here during the Starcat days, but I recall in the last year someone posted a link to a thread which sounds eerily like the infamous "Starcat thread" you all go on about.
I don't think it was the Starcat thread. We had a couple of other runs at it and I reprised my Bambi and Kate Upton posts. The Epic thread was pretty good. There was just so much manic energy that got released on the Starcat thread.
As for MLC, there's no one who appreciated his posts on tobaccos and the history of the tobacco industry more than me. His brilliant and insightful posts were often the highlight of my experience here. But you don't go attacking members and you certainly don't go making insulting remarks about a member's mother shortly after she passed away. And you don't do this after being forgiven for earlier outbursts.
I miss the Sinister Six.
Some of us are still here...

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Dagnabbit! Looks like I missed a lot of the "fun". But I did catch the whole mlc meltdown, and it wasn't pretty, all the more so given Troy's talent and dedication to research and sharing it here. BTW, shouldn't mlc be in lowercase in deference to his handle?
Discuss amongst yourselves.....

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
But you don't go attacking members and you certainly don't go making insulting remarks about a member's mother shortly after she passed away. And you don't do this after being forgiven for earlier outbursts.
This.
We're all prone to fits of nostalgia, and even the most vile miscreants have their irresistibly cuddly side, but Troy could be a first class dick Richard when he wasn't on his regular regimen. His remarks to JimInks were cold, calculated and inexcusable. I don't miss him one iota. It sounds harsh, but I can't jump on the MLC Lovin' Bandwagon here.

toobfreak

Lifer
Dec 19, 2016
You know, it sounds like some of these people you miss, nice sides that they might've had here, simply had some real personal issues, like maybe Asperger's? And who knows, maybe the forum itself or some others bore some of the blame too? Life is full of compromises and when you're not willing to budge an inch, sooner or later, especially when you don't hold the highest card, you're bound to lose face.
So their leaving was sort of inevitable. All I can think in reading this is that if many of these people really held their time here in half as much esteem as many of you do now, they would have come back, found a way to come back. There is always a way to come back if you really want to.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
I do NOT miss the guy who used to sell pipes that seemingly fell off the back of a truck and had a meltdown when Woods and Condor wanted samples of tobacco when developing the Standard tobacco line.
Ah yes! SOY MILK IS GOOD!

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
But you don't go attacking members and you certainly don't go making insulting remarks about a member's mother shortly after she passed away

His remarks to JimInks were cold, calculated and inexcusable

I had no idea this went down. Screw MLC! He should have stayed on his meds, or whatever.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
But you don't go attacking members and you certainly don't go making insulting remarks about a member's mother shortly after she passed away. And you don't do this after being forgiven for earlier outbursts.
Much like the magic Starcat thread, I missed this as well. I wouldn't want that kind of venom around either. I retract my earlier missing.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I saw the train wreck and was shocked. Saddened and shocked because I knew where it was heading. But this thread is heading there now too.

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Train_wreck_at_Montparnasse_1895.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Listen, we're just coming out of winter up here in the frozen north.
Peck's still digging his way out of his den/barn.
I am sure he'll surface with sardonic aplomb sometime soon...
We've all witnessed train wrecks of epic proportions over the years. I'm one of those folks that got my knickers in a twist in the byplay that sent BriarBlues and FlakyJakey into the wilderness; and profess to have no patience for threads like the Starcat or Diogenes Fanclub threads. Mind you, I was raised in Canada and we are a humourless people. Forums are like ocean currents, sometimes they bring rejuvenation and at other times they suck the life from shore.
For every stalwart poster of yore that has gone back into the ether there is another just making an Avatar and trying to figure out how to post pictures. Fortunately we have one person now who is more than happy to point out how to do this. Every. Single. Time.
-- Pat

Status
Not open for further replies.