PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
Hello all,

I just noticed that in PayPal's update to their "acceptable use" policies, they do not outright ban using PayPal to pay for tobacco products, but effective 3 November '22 they will demand that you request and receive their approval for non-cigarette tobacco products before using PayPal to pay for them (it's on page 5 of 7 in the attachment). I'm sure that being vague on what you're purchasing here on the forum (where most transactions are "friends and family") will facilitate things, but buyer beware when making a retail purchase!

All the best,

Western Isles

Attachments

• acceptableuse-full-110322.pdf
    105.9 KB · Views: 9

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Losing PayPal, which hasn’t quite happened yet, would be more of an irritant than a tragedy. But it’s certainly an ominous sign. If credit cards block tobacco purchases though that would raise a huge transaction barrier to buyer and seller activity alike.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
From now on I buy computer parts and sell computer parts. That is it, no mention of pipes, tobacco, cigarettes, cigars. Or maybe I will put coffee beans or loose leaf tea. Those are always expensive if you need to buy insurance. Do you need insurance with Paypal I cannot remember.
Or maybe i am shipping flowers, Or maybe I am shipping smoked Sable which happens to be the best smoked fish on the planet made from Black Cod. It normally retails at 40-60 dollars a pound. I could go on and on and totally bore you to tears. Anyone up for a big let it go cry fest?

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Hi Mark, I appreciate your suggestion but the last thing I need is another credit card. I will keep the money in pay pal and we can look for pipes I might like. You can be my professional buyer as you have great taste, this will be fun. My wallet is over flowing with credit cards now all the Medicare shit I have the straight Medicare part A&B which are shit. Then I went and bought plan G and Plan D from United Health Care, they are the best plans money can buy and I didn't give a shit what they cost. . I don't know how they price this shit whether is is what you have in bank accounts or is it just income which I only have SS. I buried my real money years ago and I have no idea how that effects Medicare and their supplemental policies.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
I saw a headline in the news today that Paypal will be fining users $2500 directly from their account for spreading misinformation ???

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
So many reasons NOT to use PayPal unless you absolutely have no other reasonable choice. When given the option on commercial sites of using my credit card or using PayPal I always opt for the former.

Reactions: brian64 and Kobold

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
So many reasons NOT to use PayPal unless you absolutely have no other reasonable choice. When given the option on commercial sites of using my credit card or using PayPal I always opt for the former.
(Actually just went and closed my PayPal account; have been thinking about doing so for a while anyway, but this just finally made me get off my duff and do it...)

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I saw a headline in the news today that Paypal will be fining users $2500 directly from their account for spreading misinformation ???
Hilarious, not sure how you spread misinformation on PayPal but i guess if you were trying to post and ask for money or something and the

Reactions: Kobold
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I hope I don't jinx myself, but I've been using PayPal for over 20 years without a single problem. Wish I could say the same about Chase.

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
I hope I don't jinx myself, but I've been using PayPal for over 20 years without a single problem. Wish I could say the same about Chase.
Never had any direct problems with PayPal myself, either. But, when you choose to use -- and thereby financially support -- companies that believe they are entitled to decide what activities are acceptable or unacceptable (despite the fact that such activities are completely legal) then don't be surprised when they use their power to discriminate against what you hold dear...

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Never had any direct problems with PayPal myself, either. But, when you choose to use -- and thereby financially support -- companies that believe they are entitled to decide what activities are acceptable or unacceptable (despite the fact that such activities are completely legal) then don't be surprised when they use their power to discriminate against what you hold dear...
I use companies/services that serve my needs in a quality fashion. Other than that, I don't care if they have sex with goats in their corporate headquarters. Everyone here buys pipes and tobacco from companies that cause people to die prematurely. That seems a bit more despicable than anything PayPal is doing.

MCJ

Can't Leave
May 22, 2022
NW Connecticut
I use companies/services that serve my needs in a quality fashion. Other than that, I don't care if they have sex with goats in their corporate headquarters. Everyone here buys pipes and tobacco from companies that cause people to die prematurely. That seems a bit more despicable than anything PayPal is doing.
Everyone is entitled to do what they think is best. If that's the way you feel then that's fine. That's your prerogative.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I miss the days when people just lived their lives and leaved other people alone, it was simple, you could disagree with people that was that, i blame the internet for giving the crazies access to other crazies and for some reason billion dollar companies cave in to them. Oh well I'm old and going to die soon, all you younger folk are eff'ed. lol