PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

wolflarsen

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2018
Deathmetal and Saltedplug were my favorites. This place just isn't the same without them. I never noticed any supremacist stuff in deathmetal's posts here.

Deathmetal's post on Best Tobacco For Cannibalism was my inspiration for Blend Reccomendarions For A Viking Raid.

Saltedplug was a sharp guy and great writer. I loved how his posts sounded like they were coming from Buddha.

Last edited:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
I learned Deathmetal's various political positions from reading his musings on this forum. We don't need to rehash them here though.
Warren, for better or worse I never personally saw any such posts, hence my astonishment that I might also hold such views.

I remember asking once where he had gone but got little in reply....now I know why.

Regards,

Jay.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Warren, for better or worse I never personally saw any such posts, hence my astonishment that I might also hold such views.

I remember asking once where he had gone but got little in reply....now I know why.

Regards,

Jay.
I here and now apologize for inadvertantly giving the impression that I view Jay as sympathetic to a vile piece of work like Deathmetal turned out to be. That was not my intent as I know Jay to be a stand up guy. Sometimes my humor can be a lot too subtle. Clearly Jay had missed the info that got out about the banned and unlamented Deathmetal.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Only rarely have I seen the posts that get people ejected, so unless there is considerable discussion after the fact, which there usually isn't, I have no idea what the problem was. Roth, back in the twenty-teens, was a good contributor -- knowledgeable, a sharp writer, with interesting opinions and lots of information. He was abrasive, but I never saw the inappropriate side of his postings.

But moderation is what keeps this place from descending into the online hell that is so common, so you have to accept the bitter (loss of interesting and smart contributors) with the sweet, actual mostly rational conversation not obliterated by anger management and psychiatric problems. It's a delicate balance, but the fact that the magazine and Forums are still here is a tribute to good moderation and moderators.

I think the moderators nearly always try to work with people to observe some tact and restraint, but after that, some have to go.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"You could have easily missed this side of him."

Warren, I likely missed his being kicked off the Forum due to my hiatus after a period of illness at around that time, hence my ignorance.

Anyway, no harm done and I of course accept Jesse's explanation of things. Matter closed.

Regards,

Jay.

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
While I have enjoyed many posters over the years, I lurked until the upgrade (when pictures could only be seen in thumbnail unless you signed up), the ones I sorely miss are @hunterrw and @ papipeguy And @mrlowercase

Reactions: Chasing Embers

npod

Lifer
Jun 11, 2017
Does anyone remember @npod ? I have not seen him around for ages. I always found the explanation of how he got his name 'npod' rather amusing. Huntertrw was another from Mr. Embers list that I had completely gone and forgotten about as well as jitterbug dude. One or two of them popped up at that sewer of pyroflatulence also known as My Pipe Club for a while before someone offended them. In fact Brobs would have loved that place since it would have been impossible for him to get sent off on gardening leave since it did not have a very strong 'Mod' culture!
Thank you my friend. I still check in here from time to time.

americaman

Part of the Furniture Now
May 1, 2019
Los Angeles, CA
Yang Forciori was a big loss. Sure, he seemed to have an ego (unless there was something lost in translation), but his knowledge on Dunhill was incredible. There was a day where I remember he accused people of being racist here because one or more people were poking him, and then he simply left.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
foggy mountain was my Dunhill authority, though I don't own Dunhills or White Spots myself. He sold them when he worked at pipe shops in Manhattan when he was a teenager in the fifties and was still buying them into what I think were his eighties. He had some of their series he wouldn't own, and he'd mostly gotten to buying only smooth prince shape White Spots. I remember he bought a brand new late model Mercedes convertible, but sadly couldn't get in step with the computerized aspects of the car so he sold it off. I think he went back to driving his Ford Expedition. Professionally I think he was a well regarded painter, an artist, and his wife was Asian, as I recall.

• Love
Reactions: OzPiper

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Lot of the members are before my time. But do remember some who were extremely gung-ho about the pipe smoking then suddenly dropped out of the picture. Kinda wonder what happened.