PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
Whatever happened to unclearthur and cortezattic? They were big members here 10yrs ago. I've only recently come back to the site, and those 2 among a few others I can't quite recall the usernames of, arent around anymore. cortezattic taught me more than anyone about this whole thing. and unclearthur had even made me a custom pipe once. There was also a moderator that was pretty sweet too, just can't remember his handle. Great mustache though, and a fondness for calabash per his pics. Just curious if anyone knows of them all. Also.... I can't believe Kevin is still doing this. What a great work you've done Kevin!

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
Many users dropped off when the site was upgraded. Some abhor change enough to deprive themselves of US!

craynnnn

I was a bit sore about the change for a minute. Now, I can't even remember how it used to be, except that posting pics used to require equal parts esoteric science and extreme good fortune.

Now it's TOO easy to post pics. I'm tired of looking at some of you... hahau puffy

1647571469865.jpeg

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Cortez was active here until fairly recently, haven't seen much of him for the last year of so. I do miss his posts. He was funny and knowledgeable, and always willing to help other members here.
People come and go one forums. They go through life events that take precedence, get interested in other topics, or get bored when there's too much repetition of the same topics. Sometimes thay take a sabbatical from the forum and return and sometimes they don't return.

Lawrence is from my area, and he left to help raise some grandkids. I would see him at the Briary some, and was one of the reasons I joined here. But, no one at the Briary has seen him since he stepped down as moderator. So, we suspect that he may not be smoking pipes any more.

As said, Cortez never moved with us to this new format. He was pretty vocally against the change.

Funkenhouser was moderated off. He wouldn't be able to defend himself if he wanted. So...

I don't ever remember an unclearthur, but some many have come and gone. People have their own reasons.

It's not easy leaving here. I keep waiting for parole myself... I am trying to be good... puffy

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
A low blow at a nice guy who isn't here to defend himself. Cheapshot-city. Classy.
Nonsense! It's a compliment. When I joined, Funk was the first to welcome me on my post in the new member section. He was pretty adamant publicly about his appreciation of both, which I thought was pretty cool.

AND he even helped take a stand against the multitude of aro bashers, one of which was giving me grief early on. Nothing but good things to say about him.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
There are bunch of OG’s on this forum that I miss, most of them eventually got the boot. If you look around you can find a lot of these guys on other forums, Facebook & Reddit groups. I just stick to one forum these days though, I don’t know how people have time to visit and post on multiple platforms, unless you’re retired of course.

I would like to see Cortez return. I think it’s pretty silly to boycot a forum because the UI/UX changes… change is the only constant and often times the change is an improvement, I guess some people don’t want to take the short time it would take to get passed the slight learning curve. Not judging, I just don’t understand it.

I don’t know how people have time to visit and post on multiple platforms, unless you’re retired of course.
Agreed. Why? Makes no sense to me. Some days I have time to doodle around on here, but most days, I just don't have the time. Being on several? some people must just have a whole lot more free time than me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
We lost foggymountain and fish'n'banjo, or they went to a better place. I really appreciated both of them for their history and lore. fish' sent me my first and only Meerschaum pipe, an estate billiard with wine grape carvings, that taught me the definition and clarity of flavor that Meers provide. foggy' had worked in Manhattan pipe shops in the fifties when the primo factory pipes were Kaywoodie, and Dunhill's were second place. I still think about fish's fabulous pipe collection and foggy's interesting perspective as an almost exclusive Dunhill smoker.

peck' has reappeared from time to time with brief posts. He used to get some rip-roaring humor rolling, and trash-talk banter with Harris, who's still here on a regular basis.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Nonsense! It's a compliment. When I joined, Funk was the first to welcome me on my post in the new member section. He was pretty adamant publicly about his appreciation of both, which I thought was pretty cool.

AND he even helped take a stand against the multitude of aro bashers, one of which was giving me grief early on. Nothing but good things to say about him.
I don't think he ever got over Picayune being discontinued.

Reactions: Laurent