Passed the NYS Bar Exam, Now What Pipe Do I Get?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I think you deserve to get yourself a commissioned pipe to your own specifications.

Oh, I forgot, nice going on the exam!

What are you planning on doing legal wise?

My own daughter passed the Illinois and PA bar within the last 2 years. She's working with Earth Justice.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Welcome to the Bar.
When I passed the exam 20+ years ago my lovely bride bought me a very nice lighter, engraved appropriately. Nice thing a bout a lighter, as opposed to a pipe, is that it comes to hand for every pipe, and so sees more use than a given pipe in your rotation.

natibo

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 10, 2013
Cincinnati, OH USA
I don't think I got myself anything when I passed. I was still poor. Just started my first job at P&G in 1991 for $56K/year. Yoo hoo!!!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Don't tell people you're a lawyer. Your wife will do that. Isn't there a model of a pipe called a Barrister? I feel sure there is.

But as others have said, any handsome billiard will do, a Dunhill if you have any money left after law school, but a handsome

Chocam or BC will do nicely too ... or Britannia, Savenelli, Peterson, Johs, etc. etc. Congratulations. Both my grandfathers had

law degrees, and one practiced his whole career, and the other ran his family real estate business. I thought seriously of law

school as I was rocking around in the fleet during the Vietnam war, but ended up a a graduate program in writing, on the GI

Bill.

lincolnsbark

Apr 11, 2013
Thank you all for the well wishes, recommendations, and most of all the laughs. Great to see so many lawyers on this forum. It is proof that lawyers are not as bad as people say!

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The only thing I want from my bankers is a calendar every year and for my lawyers to be back in their coffins by sunrise.... (Ross Johnson in Barbarians at the Gate)
I use that line whenever an opportunity presents itself!
Congratulations. I suggest a dated Dunhill for 2014 in the style of your choice.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
Congrats to all the new lawyers! My youngest son is in his final year at Boston College Law School, and will be following your path next year. I'd like to tell you about all the intersting and rather remarkable things he's done as a law student/intern these past couple of years, but that would be bragging--and anyway--this is really about you--the new lawyers, to whom a great deal of praise is due for your hard work and diligence. Our society is greatly enriched by you.

jlr1

Lurker
May 29, 2014
Eric -small world. My son is in his second year of law school at Boston College Law School. Another lawyer in the pipeline.

puffdoggie

Can't Leave
Dec 14, 2013
One of those $2500 custom jobs should do just fine. You should be able to bill double that your first month!! :roll:
BTW - congratulations!!!

schaum

Might Stick Around
Aug 8, 2014
I think if you're smart enough to become a lawyer you're smart enough to choose an appropriate and memorable pipe. A cob may remind you to remain humble with your newfound elevation in status. LOL

Congratulations.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
Congratulations on the beginning of an extremely challenging career.
I the same situation, I'd pick me up a Davidoff, and some really nice suits!

lucky695

Apr 2, 2013
A new one with 2014 on it. Something nice, to be well taken care of. Something comfortable to help thoughtful reflection, but most of all something with balance and symetry, to remember to be fair and just.
Congratulations.
I like @tslex's idea too.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Congratulations!! No Lawyer worth his salt would be without a traditional Dunhill.... Get yourself one and enjoy it. All the rest are just fluff.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Good on you, LB.
Buy something that will resonate through the years.
Our friend, Tslex, made an excellent suggestion, but if you opt for a burner, that solitary pipe stand Klause threw out is a wonderful idea.
Fnord

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Congrats! A classic Dunhill Billiard of 2014 and a barristers briefcase, preferably Coach or Cole-Haan monogrammed. Tasteful and refined counsellor! :puffpipe:

Status
Not open for further replies.