PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
For summertime I've been on a bit of an Aro/codger kick and thought I would revisit a couple of cherry blends. The last time I smoked cherry blend was probably about 25 years when one if the first pouches I bought was either Cpt or Borkum cherry and naturally burned the crap out if my mouth. Well that was then and things change so I thought I would revisit some classics. I picked up a 2oz sample of the Paladin and I am actually surprised how much I am enjoying it. Not much for any nuance here just a decent Lane Ltd burley base with some cherry flavoring. The cherry isn't too overwhelming in taste and it burns fairly dry with little goop and no bite. Not much more you can ask for in an aromatic. So far with about half the sample gone I have to say I am really enjoying this as a summer smoke. I will probably be in for a 7oz tub or two of this.

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
My only minor complaint is that I am finding Paladin is very mild blend for nic. But it burns cool and dry enough I found that more than a few times I've reloaded the pipe after knocking out the ashes and smoked two bowls in a row. I may try mixing in some 5 Bros to add a bit of strength to it.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
It's not bad for a cherry blend - though cherry usually isn't my thing, I found it preferable to other cherry blends I've tried. I find that all of those STG codger aromatics (Paladin, Half & Half, Velvet) need some drying out for me to be able to enjoy them.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Since we've been talking about how some of the codger blends have changed recently, has this 1 gone through any recipe/blender changes?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Since we've been talking about how some of the codger blends have changed recently, has this 1 gone through any recipe/blender changes?

Middleton production went to the Dominican Republic, Paladin has been made by Lane for years.

Reactions: PA Piper Mike

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Perhaps it's changed from when I tried it some 50 years ago!

At the time I was smoking Middleton's cherry blend and thought I'd give this a try. The cherry scent was potent, and the tobacco was so gooey it was hard to keep lit. I gave the rest to a buddy to try and then had to tell him not to smoke it in my car because I couldn't taste my own pipe.

Reactions: Chasing Embers
Jul 11, 2023
Needles, Ca
My only minor complaint is that I am finding Paladin is very mild blend for nic. But it burns cool and dry enough I found that more than a few times I've reloaded the pipe after knocking out the ashes and smoked two bowls in a row. I may try mixing in some 5 Bros to add a bit of strength to it.
Interesting idea.

Jul 11, 2023
Needles, Ca

Mmmmm sounds like a try for me.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

minerLuke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 2, 2023
Vancouver BC
Interesting idea.
Yes I did this about a week or more ago. I mixed my remaining 1 1/2 Oz sample with a pouch of 5 Bros and let them marinate together. The result was great. The 5 Bros didn't change the flavor profile but upped the strength noticeably. I've smoked a few bowls of this now and it's just to my liking, although I think you could easily stretch the 5 Bros to 1 part for 3 or maybe 4 parts Paladin and get a satisfactory effect. Both the Paladin and 5 Bros are on my reorder list now.