PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
The lead component is the very nutty, earthy, woody, lightly sugary burleys. The Virginia cavendish chips in with a little grass, tart citrus, light sugar and a few drops of honey in the background. The bourbon and cocoa toppings mildly tone down the tobaccos, and have a lightly distracting chemical note. The strength, nic-hit and taste levels are mild. There is an inconsistency in the flavor because the topping will flash off a bit by the last quarter of the experience, and you may get a mild harshness and a few cigarette notes if you are a fast puffer. Won’t bite, and has a few small rough edges. Doesn't need to be relit much, packs very easily, and leaves little dampness in the bowl. Easily an all day smoke. One of the few tobaccos I have smoked that m'lady commented favorably on when she smelled it. I give it two and half stars because of aforementioned drawbacks.

UPDATE 6-28-2022. There are some changes in the new Dominican Republic production. The mildly applied bourbon is more dominant now, and the now weaker chocolate less so. Both are less sweet, and sport a very slight sourness not present in the American version. The toppings tone down the tobaccos approximately twenty percent more than before at first, but moderately flash off after the half way point. They don’t last as long as before, but you’ll still taste the toppings. The distracting chemical note in the older manufacture is barely obvious. The nuttiness from the burleys is three slots lower than before even when the toppings weaken. The burleys have a little more roughness, and I detect a hint of smoke from them as well. The latter characteristic was not there in the past. The Virginia cavendish mostly has the same effect as always with a touch less sugar and honey, and a lightly deeper citrus. Both varietals are just a little darker in color. The strength and nic-hit are a step and a half past the mild mark. The taste is a half notch more potent due to the smoke note. Won’t bite, and the chances of experiencing light harshness or cigarette notes for a fast puffer are much slimmer. Burns cool, slightly warm, and a tad fast. Overall, it’s not as sweet, less nutty, and even with the rougher burleys, is mildly smoother with a weaker flavor. Has a lightly lingering weaker after taste. The room note is a touch stronger now. Barely leaves any dampness in the bowl, and doesn’t require many relights. An all day smoke. My rating at TR is still two stars though I deduct the extra half star that I gave the original due to the lack of flavor depth.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My experience with the previous/earlier version is similar, though the cocoa flavoring really detracted from the tobacco flavor for me. I enjoy several "codger" blends, but PA not as much. It wasn't unpleasant, just unsatisfying. However, I had an elderly friend who would only smoke PA, so I like it by association.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
I was unaware there was a change. When did this happen? I just got a new can a few weeks ago, and it seemed the same to me. It disappeared for awhile a year ago maybe, and I had to search high and low for it. I didn’t notice a change when it came back online though.

On a side note- 9/10 tobacco shops answered without any hint of humor to “do you have Prince Albert in the can”? I guess the joke has largely died out lol.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
I was unaware there was a change. When did this happen? I just got a new can a few weeks ago, and it seemed the same to me. It disappeared for awhile a year ago maybe, and I had to search high and low for it. I didn’t notice a change when it came back online though.

On a side note- 9/10 tobacco shops answered without any hint of humor to “do you have Prince Albert in the can”? I guess the joke has largely died out lol.
The switch from America to the Dominican Republic happened months back.

J-Evverrett

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 17, 2021
Meriden, CT
The switch from America to the Dominican Republic happened months back.
Now that I’ve had to process your review update, I think it sounds like it may be a bit better blend overall, for my taste, than it was before. However it sounds like a different animal in many ways. I would like to think they didn’t make it too different. Of course, my taste isn’t incredibly refined and I may not notice haha.

NC TX ID pipeman

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 25, 2021
North Carolina,Texas,Idaho
Glad I still have a metal canister of the old version. I still smoke it when fishing, as it's a low maintenance, even burning blend.
I like to smoke the old versions in red flat tin on special ocasions like today...i got 2 tins pre 1974 and one post 74...So I smoked a bowl today and smoked a second bowl of pre 1974 Carter Hall-Reynolds version...Comparing those 2 tobaccos- PA is smooth mellow consistent cool all day smoke without much of flavor just natural tobacco...Carter Hall is more flavored but smoking hotter in the same pipe...Flavors in the second half of the bowl are really good quite sweet...It hit me...PA did not have those flavors at all...CH smells fantastic from the pouch..PA smells like a vintage burley...Enjoying them both...Each is a different animal..

Reactions: Black Crow

Brewfan

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 5, 2021
Louisville, KY, USA
I smoked PA for the first time this morning. Strangely, I loved it. The cocoa hints matched perfectly with the straight tobacco flavor. What really struck me - someone I was around in my very early days must have smoked this because I was instantly transported way back...

That memory, plus the sweet cocoa hinted flavor made for a great smoke.

Reactions: Kobold

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Thanks for taking the time Jim. do you have any idea which factory in the DR is making this blend? It would be pretty interesting if it was coming from the Davidoff factory.

The DR is different than many other Caribbean islands I have been to. I was there in 2000 and I swear, every single store was selling fake Cubans. Clothing stores, liquor stores, restaurants, jewelry stores it was amazing at how many we saw. There had to be a big factory doing it based on the sheer volume that was available. They also were really bad fakes. If my memory is correct I remember seeing boxes of Cohibas which all had clear plastic tops so you could see the cigars.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Thanks for taking the time Jim. do you have any idea which factory in the DR is making this blend? It would be pretty interesting if it was coming from the Davidoff factory.

The DR is different than many other Caribbean islands I have been to. I was there in 2000 and I swear, every single store was selling fake Cubans. Clothing stores, liquor stores, restaurants, jewelry stores it was amazing at how many we saw. There had to be a big factory doing it based on the sheer volume that was available. They also were really bad fakes. If my memory is correct I remember seeing boxes of Cohibas which all had clear plastic tops so you could see the cigars.
I have no idea what factory is making PA and Carter Hall.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I wonder if it is one of the big cigar guys or a small mom and pop. If they were made at Davidoff do you think they would advertise it or would they keep it quiet so they didn't possibly cheapen their brand?

My memory sucks but when my buddy took on the Davidoff account at his cigar store I am pretty sure he had to spend over 100,000.00 which included a lot of very expensive accessories. After my buddy got rid of the accessories for short money, he began making some nice profits on the cigars. He also had some tins of pipe tobacco. I probably tried them but I can't remember anything about them.