PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbpiper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Just tried this method (well minus the micro mesh) and it came out really good. I have another stem that I need to do that I might put off until I can pick up some of the micro mesh.

Jul 15, 2011
The micro mesh will help to strip off the rest of that oxidation that is really hard to get out, and the higher grades give it that nice luster and mirror shine. Just takes a little elbow grease is all. Investing in micro mesh was $16 of the best dollars I ever spent.

crk69

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 30, 2012
Thanks for the article Novelist, just used it to clean up three estates and the stems look basically brand new... :worship:

damnyak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 14, 2012
Northern, Ontario. Canada
I just did a bunch of stems. 25 to be exact, and I scraped with a exacto knife, then 400 grit wet/dry, 600 gritwet/dry, then buff with tripoli and carnuba, Turned out amazing! Check craigslist for a bench grinder, got mine for $10, and old black and decker. works fine!

thatbeetleguy

Lurker
Jul 14, 2012
Fontana, CA
I have tried this method and so far it works like a charm.

I am curious though, would this method work for the yellow meerschaum pipe stems as well? I have a stem that could use some TLC at this point.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I should be getting some Micro Mesh in the mail in the next week. I have 5 or 6 stems with some 20-something year old oxidation on them. I'll let you know how goes the restoration.

crk69

Jun 30, 2012
One of the stems I restored had been oxidized since the early 80's, It turned out looking brand new. Should have good luck with yours galeon....

hiplainsdrifter

Jan 8, 2012
I am about to do a stem de-oxidation, and I have a question: Should I use the micromesh on the tenon of the stem, or will this change the diameter enough to produce a loose fit? Also, if the stem has a button of harder material (metal), will it no longer be flush?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Do not touch the tenon! You will lose your fit. Besides, the tenon shouldn't be oxidized as it hasn't been exposed to air like the rest of the stem. As for the stem logo, it's possible that you may lose a bit of flush. Depends on how much oxidation you need to remove.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Sables advice is sound. The stem junction clean up is a compromise of sorts. I'd rather had a touch of oxidation around the edge, versus rounding off the stem. I make these little collars out of old plastic boxes which helps and keeps the water used from lightening the briar stain.
20141012_221609.jpg

20141012_221452.jpg

May 4, 2015
The link to Pipe Novelist's method is no longer valid. Can someone share the details of the method, please?
Nutshell version: Soak in OxiClean for 15 minutes or so then clean off oxidation thoroughly with magic eraser. Buff with increasingly fine grades of micromesh. Finish with oil.

May 4, 2015
The magic eraser was the part I would've missed.
They work very well pre-sanding/micromesh.
In my (very limited) experience, I've found that I can skip the OxiClean altogether. I'm not convinced it does anything really , and I think it may actually do more harm than good.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Same process here. Magic Eraser to Sandpaper can turn a green stem into a black mirror.

stanwebber

Lurker
Mar 26, 2013
i always worry about removing too much material and losing stampings. i get the most control by using barkeeper's friend powder on a non-scratch scotch-brite pad. it's a little more labor intensive than other methods, but not too bad. a lot of times i'll leave the slightest haze of oxidation on the stem before polishing which usually removes the rest. even if some oxidation is left, i can't see it and, what's more important, i can't taste it.

Status
Not open for further replies.