PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Thanks adam12.
"last year at Chicago, I bought a $350 hand-carved pipe from someone whose stuff I had been wanting to add to my collection, and he was a flaming prick. It's been almost a year and I can tell you, I'll never smoke it and I won't buy another from that dude. "
I can guess that carver in two guesses.
"This place, to me, is like Rocky's, or Vinnie's, or something, some totally low-key place where they serve Pabst and wings and they have pool tables and a quarter jukebox with Tom T. Hall and Waylon and people smoke Dr Grabows and Willards that they polished at home."
Yup, that's the same conclusion I've come to.

keith929

Lifer
Nov 23, 2010
+1 adam12. I too like high-end pipes but I also have Dr. Grabows that I wouldn't trade for anything. Different strokes for different folks.

This site just seems more welcoming than some of the others I have visited.

captainbob

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 5, 2010
I'll be right up front with you. For years, I was on my-pipes.net which officially was terminated by the Moderator with no communication and no reason given. He was in Europe. We had a good small group and were left without so much as a good-bye or how we might continue the site. Maybe he died... but I don't think so based on information given to me later on. The Moderator also did not deliver on contest prizes won. I can attest to that, personally. I was very disappointed. I did put my heart and soul into that Forum for years!
I moved to PipeChat and was very impressed, initially. But, soon I discovered this was a very "clicky" site. And, I was an outsider. I tried my best, but the Moderator was on my case to the point that I could no longer comfortably post. I simply closed my account. I gave that site a good try for months and honestly cannot recommend it to anyone. As far as I am concerned, PipeChat is a "CLOSED GROUP"!
This site is my home. A Moderator has never admonished me and that is a great relief after what I experienced on PipeChat. I trust I have not offended anyone or violated any rules, which I have studied very carefully. If I experience a problem here, I would also try to understand and comply. This is my last effort on a Pipe Forum. If this one fails, I will abandon Pipe Forums once and for all.
It is so very unfortunate, as part of a small minority of smokers who respect individual Freedoms, that we have to feel uncomfortable and close a Forum Account. We must stick together and work to build our community of Freedom Loving Pipe Smokers!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
Ok, I'll update from my previous post in this thread. I belong to more than a few that I check in on once in a while. I have recently joined Pipe Chat, and have a few posts there, but by and large I spend my time here, and at Pipe Smoker Unleashed.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
I have a few things to share -
1. My personal tastes are quite eclectic. I own and smoke Dr. Grabows, and Dunhills and several in between. Not everyone is like this, but I think the OTC guys can hang out with the guys that smoke G.L. Pease, McClelland, etc., and the Grabow guys can hang out with the Dunhill guys.
The Point: All pipe smokers are welcome here.
If, however, you happen to be a pipe smoker that doesn't think ALL pipe smokers should be welcome here, than we will make you the exception, and dis-invite you.
2. What's really different here?
Several of you have noted what you like about this place, and some of those things are what makes us different, and better. However, what was not mentioned is that this is the only for-profit, solely digital, magazine / forums for pipe smokers.
One might think that a "corporate-run" site would not be so good, versus a "labor of love", as can be the case.
This one started as a labor of love, but always had the intention of making money, so that is how I ran it. I never thought it would become my full-time job, but I am glad it did.
That motivates me even more to do all I can to make this the best info-related, community-focused pipe site in the world.
Achieving this is not as easy as many believe, which is why some sites get shut down, like Capt. Bob mentioned: my-pipes.net. The owner found out the hard way that it was sucking up all of his free time for nothing, and decided to spend his free time doing other less aggravating, or more profitable things.
3. "A Rising Tide Lifts All Boats"
You may have heard that saying before. Since day one, a general part of my mission with this site was to do anything and everything possible to encourage and support the growth of the pipe and pipe tobacco market.
That is the reason why everyone is welcome here. That is why we do not tolerate snobbery - in either direction. We want to nurture along the growth of this hobby for all.
Interestingly enough, the fact is that the amount of pipe smokers has increased in the U.S. for the past several years, after several decades decline.
Let's keep it going in that direction.

jameral

Nov 29, 2011
San Mateo
In my initial search for knowledge into the world of pipe smoking I did look around several forums. When reading the posts here at PM I felt as though I was already welcome even though I had not become a member yet. I did not get that sense of feeling anywhere else, that is why I joined here. IMHO PM does stand above the rest thanks to its wonderful members and great staff! :clap:

Apr 6, 2012
Hi Everyone,
I am new...
Like CaptainBob, I was also a long time member of my-pipes.net
It was a small, tight, fun group. I am not familiar with the other website he mentioned that he ran afoul of the moderators, but I can hardly believe it! Over the several years of enjoying Bob's posts on the old my-pipes.net, I never once found him to be anything but a perfect gentleman with valid, interesting contributions.
Heck, he even sent me a free tin of his own recipe creation "CORNELL & DIEHLL: Captain Bob's Blend"
So, here's to picking up where I left off....
Incidentally, the my-pipes.net contest Bob refers to which the prizes were never sent out, I placed 5th...
It was a Christmas pipe story writing contest. I must say I was rather proud of my little story... If I can dig it out of the old computer, I'll post it... Certainly can not find it on the old site which was unceremoniously unplugged!
Blessings to all!

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I participate on three forums but am most active here and on Pipechat.info. To be honest the reason I enjoy both forums is the other active members and not necessarily how the forum looks or if it is a money making business or not. IMO you can’t beat Pipemagazine.com when it comes to news about the industry. Both forums have active and growing memberships, which I would imagine is a good thing since it’s the members that attract the sponsors.
I’ve been active on one pipe forum or another for about three years and must say the one thing that has impressed me the most is how generous the community is as a whole. I experienced this firsthand when four guys that were all once active members here gifted me a beautiful pipe at a time when I really needed friends. Lawrence you have a friend for life even if we never meet face to face.
Now you probably won’t ever see me posting a negative comment about what you choose to smoke or the pipe you smoke it in because all that really matters is that you enjoy it, but if you’re asking my opinion on something I have no problem in sharing it. I’ve smoked a pipe off and on for about 38 years so when it comes to pipes and tobacco I do have an opinion. I love the diversity here, young, old, male female, rich, poor, street smart, book smart, it just doesn’t matter, which is exactly how it should be.
Man… I just wish the so called leaders of this world had a forum where they could get to know each other without first forming their opinions based on what the others looked like or their possessions.
BTW Captain Bob… I’m sorry and surprised to hear about the time you spent at PipeChat. My experience there has been the complete opposite. Once again I guess it’s good we have so many choices.
Sorry about getting a little off topic... :puffy:

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I just hang around here because you guys are Awesome. :worship:
There is no B&M anywhere near me without an hours drive or more and I don't know any other pipesmokers where I live. I really enjoy the friendly atmosphere here in this forum and have enjoyed participating since I've signed on.
Kevin, that is an insightful post from a week ago. Thanks for sharing. Congrats you've got a great thing going here and to make money doing it is icing on the cake. I wish you continued success and will do my best by supporting the sponsors.
I also belong to the International Peterson Pipe Club because I'm a Pete Nut. :puffy: That's the place to go if you want to get down to the nitty gritty of all things Peterson.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Kevin wrote:
One might think that a "corporate-run" site would not be so good, versus a "labor of love", as can be the case. . . . [Being "for profit"] motivates me even more to do all I can to make this the best info-related, community-focused pipe site in the world.
This is an excellent insight. I can see how an active forum serves the advertisers, who pay the bills and satisfy Kevin's economic model. So Kevin is motivated to make the forum work for the members. A nifty little capitalist circle of interlocking interests. I love the easy access to commentary by guys like Russ Ouellette and GL Pease. I like knowing that someone has a powerful motivation to maintain the quality and function of the place.
Kevin, it's a great model and I think it works very well.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
This place has more than enough pipe info for me. It was where I started when I was trying to figure out how to smoke a pipe and it's where I'll stay. Most of my other forum activities have to do with guns, motorbikes or guitars.

jwp159

Can't Leave
Jan 1, 2010
Kevin, you have done a great job with PM, its the best forum I have ever been a part of.

bubblehead33

Mar 17, 2012
Canada
There is no B&M anywhere near me without an hours drive or more and I don't know any other pipesmokers where I live. I really enjoy the friendly atmosphere here in this forum and have enjoyed participating since I've signed on.

i agree with bentmike. i didnt know a from b before about pipes or tobacco before i found this site. truth be told, google steered me here and im glad it did! ive leared a lot from you guys and hope to continue to learn in the future. cheers!

adam12

May 16, 2011
but I think the OTC guys can hang out with the guys that smoke G.L. Pease, McClelland, etc., and the Grabow guys can hang out with the Dunhill guys.
Which makes Kevin a pretty friggin radical person in the pipe world.
Straight up, thanks for pimping this philosophy. And its about time. You've taken the "cool table" in the lunch room and ambushed the F out of it with every imaginable outcast. Three years ago, did we ever see 50-member pipe clubs on college campuses with Facebook pages and "monthly Formal Smokers" where they auctioned off Dunhills? Not on your life. But ironically, when Kevin got up in front of the entire crowd at the Chicago Pipe Dinner two years ago to emphasize how important it was to be inclusive and welcome young people into the fold, I'm not so sure many people "got the message".
Pipe snobs are funny. As the song says, I used to be disgusted, but now I'm just amused...

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
existentialegg,
Thank you for those kind words. I am very happy here. I read a lot of the posts participate when I think I have something worthwhile to share. I also enjoy posting on the lighter side just to stay involved and have fun.
JC,

I believe my problem at PipeChat was pre-determined before I arrived. There were those who migrated away from my-pipes.net and went to PipeChat before it was shut down. Most of those folks welcomed me when I arrived at PipeChat and I was actually invited to join them by former my-pipes members. So I did. However, one particular individual who had been admonished at my-pipes.net for his deragatory remarks toward others, the my-pipes.net site and in particular, me, continued to post negative content pointed at me shortly after my arrival at PipeChat. Then, after a while and when reading archived topics, I accidentally discovered a series of negative posts about me, my blends and the my-pipes.net site over on PipeChat. I did not antagonize this member, nor did I try in any way to disrupt his opinions. However, I do recall a specific post wherein he announced that if I ever came over to PipeChat, he would leave. That post took place before I arrived and I was totally oblivious to it. Over the next months, I noticed that I was being harassed by one of the Moderators. I always responded to him in a non beligerent fashion. But, it continued. That is why I expressed the opinion here that I was just not comfortable over there with the over zealous police activity. My manner of posting is no different here than it was there. Was I picked on? I certainly think so. Why? I don't know. I am happy to see Cornell and Diehl as a proud sponsor of Forums. Specifically, I am proud that they sponsor this site. I encourage C&D to continue their sponsorship. Especially, on this forum. I hope this clears up the mystery.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Status
Not open for further replies.