PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
The new Pease blend, Geometrie, is an oriental forward VaOr.
Came here to give some love to Géométrie too. I think I heard Cosmic say it’s like a Balkan without the Latakia. I can definitely see that. In fact, it’s probably the first VaOr blend where I get more than a hint of orientals, they are way out in front. It’s some good stuff. Temple Bar is another good one, I swear there is a topping on that one though but it’s been 5 or so years since I smoked it so maybe I’m mixing it up with something else.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Came here to give some love to Géométrie too. I think I heard Cosmic say it’s like a Balkan without the Latakia. I can definitely see that. In fact, it’s probably the first VaOr blend where I get more than a hint of orientals, they are way out in front. It’s some good stuff. Temple Bar is another good one, I swear there is a topping on that one though but it’s been 5 or so years since I smoked it so maybe I’m mixing it up with something else.
I've always said Germain should make a Penzance without latakia- I'd love it.

stogie37

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 24, 2012
Southport, North Carolina
Some great recommendations here. I would add: C&D Star of the East Gold, G.L. Pease Ashbury, Rattray Red Raparee and G.L. Pease Regents Flake as excellent Oriental forward blends. Smoking through a tin of C&D Or Olam right now and it might make my Oriental rotation as well…

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I found it very hard to choke down. Geometrie is Pease's answer to a question I can't fathom. I have always loved Greg's stuff but not this one.

Sgetz

Lifer
May 21, 2020
UK
Some great recommendations here. I would add: C&D Star of the East Gold, G.L. Pease Ashbury, Rattray Red Raparee and G.L. Pease Regents Flake as excellent Oriental forward blends. Smoking through a tin of C&D Or Olam right now and it might make my Oriental rotation as well…
Can i second G L Pease Regent Flake. Excellent. Very little Latakia.

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
+1 for Oriental Silk, Orion's Arrow, and McConnell Oriental (has latakia). All solid blends. Also would suggest looking at McConnell Mature, a VaOr with a not too heavily applied topping.
I need to get my hands on some Geometrie. My experience with oriental tobaccos is limited, but I've liked every blend I've had with a strong oriental presence.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
+1 for Oriental Silk, Orion's Arrow, and McConnell Oriental (has latakia). All solid blends. Also would suggest looking at McConnell Mature, a VaOr with a not too heavily applied topping.
I need to get my hands on some Geometrie. My experience with oriental tobaccos is limited, but I've liked every blend I've had with a strong oriental presence.
When was the last time you smoked the McConnell Mature? Was it a newer tin?
I've read reviews that say it's overly topped and others that say it's light and just right.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper

Lumbridge

(Pazuzu93)
Feb 16, 2020
Cascadia, U.S.
When was the last time you smoked the McConnell Mature? Was it a newer tin?
I've read reviews that say it's overly topped and others that say it's light and just right.
Recently, purchased this year.
I think that's just a preference thing. While I do notice the topping, it doesn't overwhelm the quality tobacco in the blend. I let it sit in the opened tin for a couple weeks before jarring it and that seemed to tone it down even more.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper

jeff540

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 25, 2016
Southwest Virginia
Since the extinct has already been mentioned, yeah those were great Oriental blends and I have yet to find any new blends that match the round, buttery sweetness of the Grand Oriental blends. Drama Reserve was my all time favorite of that line.

I may give the Geometrie a try, but I've been disappointed by most of those GP/C&D blends - just too bitter and harsh for my tastes, even with a few years on them.

bluegrassbrian

Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
Since the extinct has already been mentioned, yeah those were great Oriental blends and I have yet to find any new blends that match the round, buttery sweetness of the Grand Oriental blends. Drama Reserve was my all time favorite of that line.

I may give the Geometrie a try, but I've been disappointed by most of those GP/C&D blends - just too bitter and harsh for my tastes, even with a few years on them.
I think I know what you mean. It took a while for me to find a few GLP/C&D blends that agrees with me. Cairo was the first for me.