PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

EchoPlex

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 9, 2023
Seattle, WA
Last night my neighbor and I cracked a special tin. He's a huge Nightcap fan, so when I pulled out this 1998 Murray's tin, he was delighted. I mean, look at that tin art.

Nightcap1.jpg
Nightcap2.jpg

Sealed tin weight was 117 grams. Tin was well-curated and the vacuum retained. These old Murray tins seem to hold up really well when properly cellared.

Nightcap3.jpg
Nightcap4.jpg

What a thing of beauty. Nice paper staining and minor rim corrosion. Gasket was in good condition.

Nightcap5.jpg

Wow - lots of crystals and aging deposits. The tin note is incredible. First thing we did was grab a jar of modern Nightcap and compared. The Murray's tin is peatier, earthier, deeper. But how did it smoke?

This stuff is an absolute cream bomb, straight from the creamery. I could cream my coffee with this smoke. Thick, white, viscous smoke. Mellow, buttery, and smooth, but still deep and complex. Much less incense than modern Nightcap. One thing that surprised us is that we both got kicked in the nuts by the nicotine. I figured the nic would have lost potency, but it was a zinger.

Nightcap6.jpg

Yep, this one gets the special squatty jar too.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Last night my neighbor and I cracked a special tin. He's a huge Nightcap fan, so when I pulled out this 1998 Murray's tin, he was delighted. I mean, look at that tin art.

View attachment 285585
View attachment 285587

Sealed tin weight was 117 grams. Tin was well-curated and the vacuum retained. These old Murray tins seem to hold up really well when properly cellared.

View attachment 285588
View attachment 285598

What a thing of beauty. Nice paper staining and minor rim corrosion. Gasket was in good condition.

View attachment 285600

Wow - lots of crystals and aging deposits. The tin note is incredible. First thing we did was grab a jar of modern Nightcap and compared. The Murray's tin is peatier, earthier, deeper. But how did it smoke?

This stuff is an absolute cream bomb, straight from the creamery. I could cream my coffee with this smoke. Thick, white, viscous smoke. Mellow, buttery, and smooth, but still deep and complex. Much less incense than modern Nightcap. One thing that surprised us is that we both got kicked in the nuts by the nicotine. I figured the nic would have lost potency, but it was a zinger.

View attachment 285607

I’m sure that tobacco is heavenly but what’s really got my attention is that tin. They just don’t make them like they used to 😍

skeeter456

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 28, 2017
Plattsburgh NY

View attachment 285585
View attachment 285587

View attachment 285588
View attachment 285598

View attachment 285600

View attachment 285607

I bet that was f’ing good!!!

jbfrady

Can't Leave
Jul 27, 2023
South Carolina
I've made a point of repeatedly trying perique and attempting to acquire a taste for it, but it's not a natural preference. Perhaps that's because I detect a different aroma and taste from it than do others. Plum Pudding and Mad Fiddler Flake proved that I could love perique-as-condiment, but I'm still baby-stepping my way from there. I love aged Escudo, but I've yet to find myself as a contended wanderer in VaPer-land...
It's funny... I wrote this just 3 months ago and I now disagree with myself. I was attempting to acquire the taste of perique and I must admit I've succeeded, and wildly so. Case in point: I've gone through half this tin of 2015 Formers, as pictured alongside a Jody Davis I recently acquainted courtesy of @TexJake

Attachments

• 20240215_181258.jpg
    20240215_181258.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 17