PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I don't have enough time to return to blends I don't like, and patience to finish another 50g of hot air, so I'll never get Capstan blue for example. More pure Virginia for the rest of you, let me have my DFK, Lakelands, Latakia and Perique :)

Funny you should say that. Capstan Blue is (for me) the quintessential example of a first impression "meh" but later on loving it. I just revisited it recently and it is now one of my favorite blends. It's quite popular of course, but I'll also add that it's underrated as to how good it really is, even taking into account its popularity.

jmill208

Lifer
Dec 8, 2013
Maryland USA
Dunhill Standard Mixture. Chalk it up to inexperience, but my first go ‘round with this stuff was shocking. I wanted to like it, but it tasted to me like an old snuffed out burnt cigarette soaked in vinegar.

Always the glutton for punishment, I tried it years later and it was pretty damn good.?‍♂️

Reactions: briarbuck

PipesRock

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2020
Florida
Autumn Evening I didn't get but still don't so wrong thread.
Quiet Nights... had a funky sweet artificial taste I couldn't stand 1st couple of bowls. But I let it sit several weeks (or couple months but not too long) and upon return found it wonderful.
@hoosierpipeguy gives me hope for Directors Cut I jarred up. I love Louisiana Broken but wasn't impressed with DC so it needs a revisit in 2021.

Reactions: litup and briarbuck
Jan 27, 2020
I never really have hated a blend.. except for, @BROBS sent me a pouch Super Value Rich Vanilla, That shit may have had cat piss in it... he sent me some other good blends to try, but that shit goes down in Funkhouse history as one of the only tobacco products I've tried that I didn't like.

What, you never tried Haunted Bookshop?

Wellington

Dec 31, 2012
The first English i had was a Brebbia blend that I can't find, or they changed the tin art completely or something. I didn't even know what Latakia was, this was early on in my pipe smoking. The tin note was alarming, and the taste was even more alarming lol
I tried again I think a few months later when I was thinking about it and I was craving that strange burning rubber smoky taste, smelled the tin and was really into it smoked a bowl and never looked back. Been an English and balkan man ever since.

Also, I hated Half and Half at first, tasted life cigarettes. Again, tried it later on, loved it.

Last edited:

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Funny you should say that. Capstan Blue is (for me) the quintessential example of a first impression "meh" but later on loving it. I just revisited it recently and it is now one of my favorite blends. It's quite popular of course, but I'll also add that it's underrated as to how good it really is, even taking into account its popularity.

Well, it is the most well-known of pure Virginias that I tried, and all tasted like hot air for me.

hoosier mentioned Director's Cut, I liked it from the start but had to readjust what I am looking for it in before enjoying it. I bought it looking for a VaPer (it is not) which threw me at the start.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
Well, it is the most well-known of pure Virginias that I tried, and all tasted like hot air for me.

hoosier mentioned Director's Cut, I liked it from the start but had to readjust what I am looking for it in before enjoying it. I bought it looking for a VaPer (it is not) which threw me at the start.

Agree. With some age, the dark fired steps forward and makes it a much more satisfying, richer smoke. The perique is barely noticeable, it is a condiment.

Reactions: briarbuck and karam

trubka2

Lifer
Feb 27, 2019
This happens to me all the time. A few days ago, I revisited the Briar Fox that I put away about a year ago because I thought it tasted like hell. I gave it an honest try, and just couldn't fathom how anyone could like such terrible tobacco. But now... I can hardly believe it's the same tobacco. Delicious! A little humility is a good thing in pipe smoking, and there's something to be said for learning to like things that aren't immediately appealing.

Worknman

Sep 23, 2019
Some tobaccos have the opposite effect. I used to like OJK and OJK blue, so much so that I bought a pound each. Now I don't like either one of them, go figure. But more often than not, revisited blends seem to taste better. I noticed this big time with my first ever tin of pipe tobacco, mac baren scottish blend.

krizzose

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Michigan
None of these are classics, but my first experience of all of them was thinking how boring they were. After a few months (in the case of the Mac Baren, several years) in their jars, I tried again and not only liked them, but liked them so much I immediately bought some more:

Mac Baren Virginia Flake
Low Country Waccamaw
C&D Redburn

Status
Not open for further replies.