PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title (See Rule 9)

What is the classic blend that your tried to like... but couldn't. You gave the tobacco a good sampling, but never could "get it". With disappointment, you give up and put it away for another time. Then...one day you pick it up and there's that "ah ha" moment when you say to yourself, OK I get it now.

For me it's Doblone D'oro. Took me about 5 years, but now I look at it as a staple classic in my rotation.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
The closest approximation that I have to that scenario is my experience with SG Black XX Twist. But it was only a turnaround time of two bowls, so I don’t think that’s really the same thing.
There’s only been one blend that I’ve tried and hated. I’ve revisited it a couple times, and I still think it tastes bad.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wish I could site some super esteemed premium blend, and actually I've gone through a learning curve on a couple of those. But my memorable moment was with good old Iwan Ries Three Star Blue. The first pouch seemed on the verge of harsh -- a few flavors in there, but not a blend to savor. I left it alone for several years, and then on some whim, I ordered another pouch, and bingo, it settled right down as the harmonious all-day blend it is. I'm not sure if I got a better batch or just figured it out between samples.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
Once upon a time, early in my blend exploration, I got this ridiculous idea that VaPers weren't for me. I use to be a cigarette smoker and hadn't used any tobacco for 20 years. I loaded a big bowl of Elizabethan and french inhaled much of it. Needless to say I got a little green around the gills. It didn't have anything to do with the blend, just my recklessness. VaPers occupy much of my cellar now.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Presbyterian Blend... When I first tried it, I had no experience with latakia, so when I returned to it after a few Lat Bombs, it clicked with me.
Yo cos - funny about Presby. My experience was the same, but coming from the other direction. I am a lover of Latbombs, and I do like mild Lats to start the day. The first half tin of Presby was meh to me, and I thought I had crossed it off the rebuy list. Then, around the end of the tin, something clicked. Now it's high on my Top300 Cellar list, maybe even Top 5 or 10. Funny that in almost all the other 1500 or so blends that I have puffed, I pretty much can tell from the first half bowl how I am going to like or not like it.

hp
les

litup

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I don't know if it qualifies as a "classic blend" yet, but years ago I received a sample of Gaslight from SPC (back when it was legal for them to do so). It was a dark hunk of pungent garbage. Or so I thought. I'm not sure what convinced me to buy a full tin later on but I'm glad I did.

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
I suppose for me I had to smoke most of the 100g of McClelland Grey Havens before I warmed up to burleys.

Reactions: briarbuck

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
English & Balkan blends in general, for me. Got a few to sample in the first 2 months of smoking and thought they were little more than campfire. Hell, the tin of Sobranie I popped puzzled me as to why is smelled and tasted musty like a basement. Then it clicked. Now, I have Virginia-heavy days and Latakia-heavy days. Even in Va-heavy days, I'll still usually have a bowl of a Balkan at the end of the day.

Saw Presbyterian mentioned a couple times, but that one has always clicked for me, even when I was still figuring out Latakia as there's such a small amount in the blend.

Reactions: briarbuck
Status
Not open for further replies.