PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
But truth be told, you probably do have some belief in fairness. For instance, you order an expensive pipe online, but it doesn't arrive. You make enquiries to its whereabouts, and are told by the retailer, 'we won't be sending that pipe, and we're keeping the money, stuff you Warren, life isn't fair, you really need to get over this entitled attitude you're exhibiting', you would most likely consider this unfair. I think we all have ideas of fairness, how we conceptualise and articulate them are where the problems occur.
Life isn't fair. It was never meant to be. It's how one handles life's problems that determines success or failure. You are the only one who can determine how you meet life's vicissitudes. Meek acceptance or aggressive forward movement are your two choices.

Your fictional retailer wouldn't stand a chance against my lawyer. Especially true if he wrote such drivel in answer to my inquiry.

As an aside, I would never order a pipe on-line. I have to physically inspect it before passing any moneys to a retailer. Why would I want to add a layer, post office, UPS, etc. to such a transaction? So, I wait until I'm somewhere there is a physical shop and peruse their stock.

The sooner in life one comes accepts "actions/decisions" have consequences the better that person will control their life.

Last edited:

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Everyone has the ability to rise above one's birth but some choose to blame systems instead of using the systems to their advantage.

That's a very interesting statement given that you recently wrote the following;
Many moons ago, I used to buy the cheapest pipe weed I could find. It wasn't because of I liked it, min you, but because I was destitute.
And just how did you improve your livelihood?
I have found a small fortune thanks to an eccentric uncle whom we all thought poor.

And due to all of the deep hard working self made character you encourage others to have, you admit the following:
When he passed he left only me his fortune. I have been living comfortably on it for a while now, never having to work. I completed school and university at his behest. With this fortune I decided to buy premium pipe weed. The difference is astronomical. I will never return to that bitter and dry abomination that is roll your own.

So how did you improve yourself? Is this the same advice you have for others?
Like I said in previous posts: I was lucky to inherit a small fortune.

I thought some context would hep your bold statement written at the top of this post.

Gandalf The Grey

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2024
Origanally from Oxford, England
That's a very interesting statement given that you recently wrote the following;

And just how did you improve your livelihood?

And due to all of the deep hard working self made character you encourage others to have, you admit the following:

So how did you improve yourself? Is this the same advice you have for others?

I thought some context would hep your bold statement written at the top of this post.
Easily explained. I don't normal delve into my finances but given the rhetoric I'll do just that. I inherited a small fortune. I had to make that money work with investments and shrewd purchasing. I had to work to make my small fortune into a substantial fortune. I've never had a paying job. Investing money isn't work, just a maths game. I was given an opportunity to rise above my station and I took it and cared for it. Others get an inheritance or windfall or even their own pay and squander it on frivolous things, staying in the same position they were in previously. They didn't "work" to make their future, but I did.

Reactions: Piping Abe

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Easily explained. I don't normal delve into my finances but given the rhetoric I'll do just that. I inherited a small fortune. I had to make that money work with investments and shrewd purchasing. I had to work to make my small fortune into a substantial fortune. I've never had a paying job. Investing money isn't work, just a maths game. I was given an opportunity to rise above my station and I took it and cared for it. Others get an inheritance and squander it, staying in the same position they were in previously. They didn't "work" to make their future, but I did.
I'll let this go but even your own explanation demonstrates how wrong your main premise is.

Yes, there are some who can rise above their situation without much assistance at all, but they are far and few. They are the exception to the rule, not the rule. Most people rely on and depend on some type of support to get started. This is why we evolved around families and developed tribal units.

The best case is this and I don't mean you personally: Don't look your nose down on others and don't raise your eyes upward and state you did it all yourself.

Gandalf The Grey

Might Stick Around
Feb 6, 2024
Origanally from Oxford, England
It demonstrates how my explanation shows that people, whatever their station, can rise above the meek and earn their own fortune through investments. I do look down my nose at people who do not try. All I ask for is for people to try; and yes, I did do this myself with proper investments just like my brother did with his menial jobs. He invested for the long term as well.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
Life isn't fair. It was never meant to be. It's how one handles life's problems that determines success or failure. You are the only one who can determine how you meet life's vicissitudes. Meek acceptance or aggressive forward movement are your two choices.

Your fictional retailer wouldn't stand a chance against my lawyer. Especially true if he wrote such drivel in answer to my inquiry.

As an aside, I would never order a pipe on-line. I have to physically inspect it before passing any moneys to a retailer. Why would I want to add a layer, post office, UPS, etc. to such a transaction? So, I wait until I'm somewhere there is a physical shop and peruse their stock.

The sooner in life one comes accepts "actions/decisions" have consequences the better that person will control their life.
Fair enough. Or not, as the case may be.

lupy1234

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2023
As someone stated, befriend a B&M. I chatted with a worker at a B&M for about an half an hour. Walked out with three cans of Esoterica for $20 a tin.

But what annoys me is retailers (B&Ms) selling their stock on Tinbids...or at least having a "friend" do it. It is what it is and I would do the same thing.

Reactions: Simmerdown☕️

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Shovels do not have a specific tax and licensing associated with them. But, to sell a few tins is one thing, similar to selling a shovel. But, if someone sells enough tins or bags of tobacco to be well over $600 bucks, then they are breaking the law as if someone was buying liquor at the liquor store and selling it to people in their front yard.
The same for someone who sells 500 shovels a week. Big difference from just selling to upgrade your lawn implements, or selling a tin or two because you no longer like it.

Whether someone agrees with the law or not, it's still a law. That's why I would never sell any of the tobacco I grew or the wine I made without having all of my ducks aligned with the law.
Absolutely.

If the activity is federally regulated, you never really know what might happen if you transgress the intentionally vague code. I hold a federal firearms license for collectors, and the gray area with buying and selling to improve or dispose of a collection is a mile wide. At what point are you a "dealer"? And to make it worse, the feds are looking to add even more vague, but penalty-rich language to firearms rulemaking, making it all less clear and more fraught with danger. So I will not sell a firearm to an unlicensed individual unless it goes through an FFL dealer.

However, I've not heard of anyone getting busted for reselling pipe tobacco.

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
It demonstrates how my explanation shows that people, whatever their station, can rise above the meek and earn their own fortune through investments. I do look down my nose at people who do not try. All I ask for is for people to try; and yes, I did do this myself with proper investments just like my brother did with his menial jobs. He invested for the long term as well.
So the inheritance of a small fortune is just a trifling detail of no significance, and you'd have ended up at the same place without it?

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
It isn't exactly true, I was making a point. The VAT on that stuff is paid by the flipper when they buy it at the first point of contact. It is nevertheless a morally repugnant act given how parasitical it is. But all told, it is true what a lot of people here are saying, just don't buy from the bastards. I have smoked every Germain's blend on the market, and whilst good, they are no way worth it when they are marked up. I won't pay more for them than I do for other baccis, £22 is my limit, and if the tobacconists go one penny over (which they have now started to do), I just won't buy them.
But would you like to buy some tulip bulbs?

• Haha
Reactions: WerewolfOfLondon

WerewolfOfLondon

Can't Leave
Jun 8, 2023
London
I probably would. I've had a passion for money and investments my entire life. Planning investments is particularly easy. I might have not been totally where I am now, but I wouldn't want for anything.
I see. Well, I'm glad to hear you're comfortable, good health to you, and keep smoking that high end tobacco.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
Absolutely.

If the activity is federally regulated, you never really know what might happen if you transgress the intentionally vague code. I hold a federal firearms license for collectors, and the gray area with buying and selling to improve or dispose of a collection is a mile wide. At what point are you a "dealer"? And to make it worse, the feds are looking to add even more vague, but penalty-rich language to firearms rulemaking, making it all less clear and more fraught with danger. So I will not sell a firearm to an unlicensed individual unless it goes through an FFL dealer.

However, I've not heard of anyone getting busted for reselling pipe tobacco.
Hilariously, an industry that’s a huge gray area is farmers’ markets. The west coast has strict prior-appropriation water rights and you’re only allowed a certain amount gallons per day for non commercial use. Technically, anything grown and sold commercially that has been watered from a well, creek, or river without a water right is being sold illegally. Throw in that many farms make 5 or 6 figures annually in Oregon from farmers’ markets, with most sales being in cash, and you have some fun stuff. :)

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
I also fully support the OP and agree with WerewolfOfLondon. The flippers are not capitalists, they are parasites. They did not make the product, they are just using it as a way to leech off pipe smokers for monetary gain. They should get a job and actually make a contribution to society, not leech off it. The root of all evil...and a special place in hell.

On the other hand, if the manufacturer wants to charge these prices, then fine, they made, they can ask what they want for it. That is their prerogative, and if you don't like it, go make something better or buy something else.

As for Patent Law, that is a whole different matter, and doesn't belong in this discussion.
If you could buy something for retail and sell it for 500% markup to the Chinese who are more than willing it seems to pay the price…why not do it. Makes perfect economical sense.🤷‍♂️☕

Status
Not open for further replies.