PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2013
I found free samples... good enough for me. Other than that, being a new pipe smoker, all I ask is someone occasionally suggest I try something. Otherwise how will I ever learn without spending a fortune? I think I've seen quite a bit of that on this forum... like Black House, everyone keeps talking about Black House. For the love of all that is right and good, ok! I'll order some Black House! :) Anyway, like I was saying. I think I've found a million tobaccos online with no idea what might be good or not. At least now, after joining the forum, I have some idea what I should try. I believe the first new thing I try will be Black House.
That being said, I'm not the kind of guy who wants a handout. That's why I bust my tail at an underpaid job, and do my best to make ends meet on my own. If someone offers help, I'm not afraid to accept it, but I don't ask and I don't expect it. That's how I was raised I suppose. So you'll never see me messaging anyone with my hand out saying... "please, please, please, please."
I think I mentioned something about links for free samples, but that's different in my opinion. They're offering. That's free anyway, and I'm trying to find new things.

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
anthonyrosenthal74:
I don't want to take this great thread off the original topic, so I'm PMing you with some ideas for finding some great blends you'll likely enjoy.
Bob

swhipple

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 2, 2011
If you don't know me, don't ask me for anything because your not going to get it! If you are my friend and I know I can help you I will give all I can. But com'n man, if you can't afford tobacco you need to quit puffing and get back to work.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
This thread is spot on. I have given and I have received. I do so, because I want to be helpful or the spirit moves me. I certainly don’t need any special recognition, as I’m no different than many others on this forum. If it weren’t for the generous tobacco gift from a member on one of my brewing forums several years back, I wouldn’t have gotten into this fine hobby in the first place.
I am reminded of an interaction I had with one of the vendors on this forum. I was ordering several pipes and a number of orders were coming in from people on this forum for similar products. He noted that he was thinking about giving me one of the pipes for free, as it was going to be a gifted pipe, but wasn’t sure if he could afford to do so, because several forum members had already asked him for free pipes and he’d given away several already. I informed him that I appreciated the thought and had no problem paying for a quality product and then wondered, “Who the #$*& is asking vendors to just give them free pipes?!!?”

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I have seen amazing amounts of generosity on this forum. If you get to know the pipers here and they find out you are truly in need, you will have to turn away offers to help (good luck with that working). This forum is like anywhere else you go in life. If you take your time and people see you always shoot straight with them, they will give you the shirts off their backs.

irishsmoker

Lifer
Feb 14, 2012
I've never been one to ask for help. But such as my cane breaking I've try to deny the kindness of my friends and brothers here but to no avail!

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Generosity and the acceptance of it is the point Irish, lots of guys on here are generous and generosity is fun when you can do it, but asking for handouts is something else.
Brewshooter "and then wondered, “Who the #$*& is asking vendors to just give them free pipes?!!?” LOL :rofl:

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
"A cup of STFU" You crack me up dude. :rofl:
Giving is from the heart, being ASKED to give is only from the wallet. I worked at a place once that TOLD me to give to UNICEF on their account. I told them I give each year to Salvation Army and wouldn't participate in their program. They then told me my job depended on it, I said I will take my last check and leave. Never heard a peep from them the rest of the time I worked there.

Jan 8, 2013
@pipeinhand Dang right! They probably knew they messed up. I'm pretty sure there would be a legal issue with a company terminating your employment for not giving to a charity.

cajundad

Can't Leave
Nov 1, 2012
Louisiana
I second your emotions Shaintiques , and same to the rest of the guys here . Beggers and hinters will get zip from me . I will help someone when I recognize the need . If I dont recognize the need , I wasnt meant to help . Thanks to all of the guys on here that give and recieve graciously ! :puffpipe:

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
Everyone:
I am, in fact, the new member mentioned in shaintiques original post. I do feel somewhat attacked, but I do understand why. I would hate for everyone on the forums to get the wrong impression of me, but I see that it may be too late at this point. The message that was sent was really not meant to be seen as a newbie begging for handouts. I am simply new to the hobby and saw where he offered to help another member by sending out some tobaccos to kind of help the smoker decide what he liked. I found myself in the same situation, and did not see a problem in asking for some help from a senior member.
I am only 21 years old, but I have worked for everything that I have. I have a part-time job while I am finishing up college. That being said, after paying for bills and gas, I tend to have very little money left over. I have been able to save back to afford a cheap pipe or two, but really can't afford to buy a sample of 10-15 different tobaccos to find out what I enjoy.
I did receive a message from another member shortly after speaking with shaintiques that volunteered to send me an old estate pipe he fixed up along with some English blends to try out. This was completely unsolicited and I even asked if he was sure and asked him how much he needed for shipping. He assured me that he had a pre-paid shipping box and would send them right out. I apologize for not following up with shaintiques on the matter, which I suppose is really what made the situation kind of suspicious.
I apologize, sincerely, to shaintiques and everyone else on the forums for my bad form. I never really thought it would turn into this, and I really never meant to make anyone feel "awkward" or like I was begging for handouts.
That being said, I still really want to keep venturing into the world of pipe smoking and hope that I have everyone's support. As I finish up school and start working full-time, I fully plan on paying it forward and helping out some new members when the time comes.
My apologies and thanks,
pflan

pflan

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 3, 2013
Thank you rothnh. I do want to be accepted on the forums as just another member that asks questions and answers them when I can. I'm here to learn, practice, and pay it forward. My hope is that I can be forgiven and that we can all move on from here.
You all have been extremely helpful and are some of the most courteous and willing folks that I have come across in life.
From a new and learning (obviously) member,
pflan

joshwolftree

Part of the Furniture Now
Learning to smoke a pipe is full of tongue bite,gurgles,relights,over tamping,under tamping,hot bowls, and occasionally really really nasty tasting ARO's. Learning to live is no different. Sometimes you just gotta empty the bowl and pack a new one. Welcome to the party PFlan, look forward to seeing how you do.

Status
Not open for further replies.