PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
If a tobacco without nicotine delivered the same flavor and burn qualities, I would smoke it.

As it is, nicotine is probably part of the pipe smoking experience for me though I can't say I've ever known or cared.

I've certainly had blends that were too high in nicotine for me to enjoy, but I've never had a blend that I thought was lacking anything, specifically because I felt it needed more nicotine!

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
If a tobacco without nicotine delivered the same flavor and burn qualities, I would smoke it.

As it is, nicotine is probably part of the pipe smoking experience for me though I can't say I've ever known or cared.

I've certainly had blends that were too high in nicotine for me to enjoy, but I've never had a blend that I thought was lacking anything, specifically because I felt it needed more nicotine!
I agree. However, there’s something about knowing the plant is nicotiana that makes it that much better, I feel like I’d be a counterfeit if it wasn’t nicotiana I was smoking despite my inability to feel the affect of nicotine form a pipe

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

not me. I got gifted some great samples one of them was a cav blend. It tasted amazing but had a dearth of nicotine and it got mixed into other blends. Tasted incredible. But not something so special I'd dedicate a whole skill set and tools to enjoying.
Nothing wrong with anyone who would. I just can't relate.

demian_dec

Lurker
Mar 6, 2024
NRW, Germany
I agree with many previous comments. Although I smoked cigarettes for almost a year in the past, I do not feel the nicotine craving, and, as a result, am not looking for it in pipe smoking. Nevertheless, it would be a gross understatement to exclude it.
In my free time, I like fiddling with tobacco and matches, and giving the pipe attention and care - so, for me, there's certainly an enjoyable motoric aspect to it. I also like how different blends taste and smell, whether freshly out of the tin, or when the smoke is already lingering in the room. And lastly, I find it sweetly soothing, as it oddly reconnects me with my past.

If I were to take a personal measure, I'd say it's 9.7/10 and 0.3/10 as of "everything else" and nicotine respectfully. It may shift slightly, as I tend to gravitate towards stronger blends on an occasion - for the flavour, and because they just feel somewhat heavier.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
For me, it's rare the pipe is satisfying in the nic department (though it may not be the nicotine alone I am craving). Even high nic blends (like Rustica) don't hit the same as cigarettes, I'm assuming it's an imbalance of other psychoactive chemicals in tobacco smoke (like the MAOIs) being different, much like how vaping doesn't satisfy no matter how high the nic content is. Same goes for snuff, patches, gums, anything else.

I smoke cigarettes for nicotine-craving*. I smoke pipe purely for relaxation and flavor. And no, the "ritual" is not relaxing to me, it's annoying, only the active smoking of a pipe is the relaxing part, the ritual/chores is what I deal with to get that.

And I'm sure if something tasted exactly the same but with no nicotine, it wouldn't be as satisfying/relaxing, much like decaffeinated coffee. The presence is integral. I'm the same way with coffee, I like the flavor and it's relaxing, other caffeine sources even as high in caffeine as the coffee I drink don't satisfy the craving for coffee and I don't crave caffeine, and I also am fine without caffeine.

Last edited:

Durhamshire

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 31, 2024
UK
Both for Me, plus the feelings I get while smoking my pipe. Just feels good/right. Will be honest (please don't tell me off, I know the risks), but first proper light of a bowl I more often or not inhale. Deffo get a good feeling then.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Both, I like the nicotine and the way a pipe or a cigar delivers them with different flavors.
Probably the very same´here
+ I could smoke multiple ( European factory made cigarettes in a row, but that woulda be a pure waste of money since as of now,here across the pond,taylor made cigarettes are not what they used to be some 20 years ago,briefly delivering ,mostly ,hot air with no specific deep satisfying taste

Last edited:

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Nicotine stimulates/facilitates/interacts with/is utilized by - the endocannabinoid system (ECS); which is essential in supporting many physiological processes and maintaining homeostasis.

Everything from tobacco to cannabis to vegetables interacts with your ECS to impact your personal physiology. So even the amount of vegetables one eats (or doesn't) can influence that effect.

Hence, everyone interacts with tobacco and nicotine slightly differently, as well as differently at different moments in time.

UB 40

Lifer
Jul 7, 2022
Cologne/ Germany
nahbesprechung.net
Even in my youth, I found rituals in the Catholic Church boring, time-consuming and superfluous and not the least bit relaxing. There's no doubt that my nicotine addiction makes me reach for a pipe, just as I used to reach for a cigarette. But the fact that there are delicious tobaccos makes things easier.

Reactions: Old Smokey

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
Probably the very same´here
+ I could smoke multiple ( European factory made cigarettes in a row, but that woulda be a pure waste of money since as of now,here across the pond,taylor made cigarettes are not what they used to be some 20 years ago,briefly delivering ,mostly ,hot air with no specific deep satisfying taste
I quit cigs 16 years ago, but before that I got Russian made L&M cigs from a Russian cargoship captain which visited once or twice a quarter in the port I worked in. Those where some heavy hitters, before that I smoked Gauloises which were also considered strong. Those two, next to Camel, where the most flavorfull cigs I smoked.

Reactions: PaulTheScandinavian

Sobrbiker

Lifer
Jan 7, 2023
Casa Grande, AZ
I’ve got a long history of being an unapologetic nicotine addict before getting into pipes. My guts don’t like dip, cigarettes now verboten culturally (let alone stupid expensive), so now primary nic delivery is now an air freshener (what I jokingly call my vape). I ingest nic in Snus packets for flights/meetings etc, and start and finish my waking hours with nicotine.

The pipe is enjoyable addition, with links to my father and now a hobby I’m hooked on-both the tobak and pipe collecting/restoring.