PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
Title abbreviated. Capitals added. See Rule 9. Original:

"Do you smoke a pipe for the nicotine or for the relaxing routine of pipe smoking?"

Title says it all!

Last edited by a moderator:

fishmansf

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 29, 2022
PNW
The same as every other smoker, whether they'll admit it or not ... my brain desires the nicotine.
Biologically, I think I agree though I don't think I would ever admit that willingly hah. Snus usually scratches my itch and my pipe is a comforting routine, though I know biologically, my brain loves the nicotine from it, probably the exact reason it is comforted by smoking

Yambo

Might Stick Around
Jan 11, 2023
Spain
I'm in for the flavour and smell. It still amazes me after 20 years of pipe smoking how can something so artificial provide a pleasure that feels so natural and primary. Oftentimes it's like it itches a primordial itch. I like nicotine, of course, and sometimes I might have a cigarette just for the kick (once a week at most), but for me it's definitively how the flavour and smell enhance any other activity you might be into.

Mar 20, 2024
I think it is both. For me it happens at the end of a day after work and chores and family duties are done, it is nice to sit in a quiet garage for an hour or two. But if I’m honest, even at the end of a long, excellent session with good taste and consistent burning but zero nicotine, it feels like it could have been better. But it is still good enough for me on the nights without nicotine.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
100% the ritual for me.

1. Select Blend
2. Select Pipe
3. Prepare Blend
4. Pack Pipe
5. Gather Accoutrements
6. Access activity zone
7. Light and pack
8. Relight and Relax
9. Appreciate flavor
10. Appreciate the make of the pipe
11. Appreciate amped flavor

The Nicotine is there, mostly around 10-11 but I never feel it in a way that makes me light up again and again for it...

Zeno Marx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 10, 2022
If I smoke two bowls in a day, I don't feel well. It's a very rare thing though, as I average around 3 bowls per week. I enjoy the two smokes on those rare occasions, and it isn't a sickness feeling. I just feel a little off or not 100%, if that makes sense. I've always been this way with a pipe. When we would have get togethers at the tobacco shop or go on road trips to pipe shows, I'd be in a state of enthusiasm or whatever, and I'd smoke 3-4 bowls in that day at most. I can safely say I've never smoked more than 4 in any single day. Again, I didn't feel 100% healthy or myself by the end. Used to feel the same way when I chewed tobacco when I played baseball. I'm not a fan of nicotine. I don't get along well with it. I'd be more than fine if it wasn't there.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
It's more the relaxing ritual for me. I love nicotine. More than anyone I know in person. But I, similar to Chasingembers, will use whatever form I need to, to get it. Cigs, snuff, dip, cigars, pipe. It's all good.

I smoke a pipe for the pipe. Otherwise I'd just only smoke cigarettes or dip. They do the same thing, only faster!

Old Smokey

Can't Leave
Feb 29, 2024
The Hollers of Kentucky in Appalachia
It's more the relaxing ritual for me. I love nicotine. More than anyone I know in person. But I, similar to Chasingembers, will use whatever form I need to, to get it. Cigs, snuff, dip, cigars, pipe. It's all good.

I smoke a pipe for the pipe. Otherwise I'd just only smoke cigarettes or dip. They do the same thing, only faster!
I could never develop a taste for dip. Tried it a lot in high school but it just wasn't for me.