PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Hi everyone,

I'm totally a newcomer to the pipe smoking world, I'm planning on giving it a try when the weather permits to sit on my balcony and enjoy the sun.
I've smoked quite a few cigars in the past years, I'm not new to the smoking world in general but not an expert either, which is why i think joining forums such as this is a good idea where i can benefit from other's expertise.

I'm wondering what pipe i should get to start out with, I've looked at different brands (Brigham's, Lorenzetti, Petersons...etc..) and they all seem interesting in different areas. But maybe you could point me in another direction.
I do like Brigham's for their wide range of products in terms of pricing and quality.
Maybe I'm too picky and have done too much reading but here's what I'm looking for:
  • Briar Pipe
    • The classic, I've seen other materials but seems to me this is the best bet
  • Acrylic stem
    • Why not vulcanite stems? I've also heard they can deteriorate over time, maybe I'm wrong.
  • 80$-140$ range of pricing
    • Seems a reasonable range for the debutant such as I, given the criteria's above.
  • Filtered
    • Still not sure about that one, I'm reading the taste is much better unfiltered, but i prefer going with filtered first and i can always remove the filter if i prefer the unfiltered taste.
As for the Tobacco blend, I'm not particularly a fan of high nicotine hits. So any blends that has lower nicotine, or a good starting point recommendation would be appreciated.

I realize it's a long post for a new member but all recommendations are more than welcomed :)
Hello and welcome to the Forum from Deep in the Heart of Texas. You will find this site to be informative and the members insightful (and at times, most entertaining). Enjoy your stay!