PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FRed3137

Lurker
Mar 13, 2024
Hi everyone,

I'm totally a newcomer to the pipe smoking world, I'm planning on giving it a try when the weather permits to sit on my balcony and enjoy the sun.
I've smoked quite a few cigars in the past years, I'm not new to the smoking world in general but not an expert either, which is why i think joining forums such as this is a good idea where i can benefit from other's expertise.

I'm wondering what pipe i should get to start out with, I've looked at different brands (Brigham's, Lorenzetti, Petersons...etc..) and they all seem interesting in different areas. But maybe you could point me in another direction.
I do like Brigham's for their wide range of products in terms of pricing and quality.
Maybe I'm too picky and have done too much reading but here's what I'm looking for:
  • Briar Pipe
    • The classic, I've seen other materials but seems to me this is the best bet
  • Acrylic stem
    • Why not vulcanite stems? I've also heard they can deteriorate over time, maybe I'm wrong.
  • 80$-140$ range of pricing
    • Seems a reasonable range for the debutant such as I, given the criteria's above.
  • Filtered
    • Still not sure about that one, I'm reading the taste is much better unfiltered, but i prefer going with filtered first and i can always remove the filter if i prefer the unfiltered taste.
As for the Tobacco blend, I'm not particularly a fan of high nicotine hits. So any blends that has lower nicotine, or a good starting point recommendation would be appreciated.

I realize it's a long post for a new member but all recommendations are more than welcomed :)

Last edited:

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Welcome to the forum from Kansas. Pipe smoking is very different from cigar smoking so be prepared for a decent learning curve. Don't pack you pipe so tightly and above slow down how often you puff. Remember that relights are nothing to be embarrassed about.

Reactions: AroEnglish

FRed3137

Lurker
Mar 13, 2024
Welcome to the forum from Kansas. Pipe smoking is very different from cigar smoking so be prepared for a decent learning curve. Don't pack you pipe so tightly and above slow down how often you puff. Remember that relights are nothing to be embarrassed about.
Thank you! Relighting in the cigar world is almost a sin ;) but I'm learning in Pipe smoking, it's not as much.

Reactions: kcghost

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Thank you! Relighting in the cigar world is almost a sin ;) but I'm learning in Pipe smoking, it's not as much.
Pipe smoking and cigar smoking are nothing alike apart from there being tobacco and fire involved. Slow is the essence of pipe smoking, something that takes a bit of getting used to, especially for smokers who are not pipe smokers.
Pack lightly, puff to light up, then slowly sip, relight as needed. It's all good.

Reactions: FRed3137

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
Connecticut.jpg

As far as guidance goes my personal pref after 35 years is acrylic stem filter or not does not matter I just remove filters and smoke open and then prices to me for briar yoi get great quality from 100 to 200. Under 100 I'm not sure you would maybe. And from 200 to 300 is very very nice. Above 300 is just the name. Very nice too but you pay for name or briar quality.

FRed3137

Lurker
Mar 13, 2024
Welcome, countryman!

Here's a list of pipes from cheapest to most expensive that are briar, take a filter (6mm and 9mm), and have acrylic stems:

Let us know if you have any other questions or need any help!
The website you've linked shows that Brigham Algonquin models are made with acrylic stems. I'm not entirely sure that is accurate.

Reactions: AroEnglish

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Hi everyone,

I'm totally a newcomer to the pipe smoking world, I'm planning on giving it a try when the weather permits to sit on my balcony and enjoy the sun.
I've smoked quite a few cigars in the past years, I'm not new to the smoking world in general but not an expert either, which is why i think joining forums such as this is a good idea where i can benefit from other's expertise.

I'm wondering what pipe i should get to start out with, I've looked at different brands (Brigham's, Lorenzetti, Petersons...etc..) and they all seem interesting in different areas. But maybe you could point me in another direction.
I do like Brigham's for their wide range of products in terms of pricing and quality.
Maybe I'm too picky and have done too much reading but here's what I'm looking for:
  • Briar Pipe
    • The classic, I've seen other materials but seems to me this is the best bet
  • Acrylic stem
    • Why not vulcanite stems? I've also heard they can deteriorate over time, maybe I'm wrong.
  • 80$-140$ rang of pricing
    • Seems a reasonable range for the debutant such as I, given the criteria's above.
  • Filtered
    • Still not sure about that one, I'm reading the taste is much better unfiltered, but i prefer going with filtered first and i can always remove the filter if i prefer the unfiltered taste.
As for the Tobacco blend, I'm not particularly a fan of high nicotine hits. So any blends that has lower nicotine, or a good starting point recommendation would be appreciated.

I realize it's a long post for a new member but all recommendations are more than welcomed :)
I would definitely agree that briar is the way to go. As for stem material, acrylic is fine though often less comfortable than vulcanite. Acrylic tends to be thicker and a little harder against the teeth. Vulcanite will oxidize, which may require some maintenance, but don't rule it out. I would suggest you include Savinelli in your list of choices. I have no use for filters, but many of Savinelli's pipes come with an adapter (not really even necessary) if you choose to forgo the filter later.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Welcome from NYC. If you're trying to buy a pipe in Canada, Brighams are a good place to start and you can smoke them with or without their filters.

You could use the pipe selector tool at smokingpipes.com to get some ideas even if you can't order from them. Just plug in your variables—price, stem material, etc.—and see what you come up with. Vulcanite stems are very comfortable but they do require more care than acrylic.

FRed3137

Lurker
Mar 13, 2024
Welcome from NYC. If you're trying to buy a pipe in Canada, Brighams are a good place to start and you can smoke them with or without their filters.

You could use the pipe selector tool at smokingpipes.com to get some ideas even if you can't order from them. Just plug in your variables—price, stem material, etc.—and see what you come up with. Vulcanite stems are very comfortable but they do require more care than acrylic.
Thank you!

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I have tried the pipe selector. Some of the pipes are said to have Acrylic stems and other sources would suggest otherwise. I've even contacted some shops and they confirmed that the lower priced Brighams -such as the Algonquin model- are vulcanized.
I'm bummed out that the website is not accurate because it is a very handy tool.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York
Sorry, I misread your earlier reference to the pipe selector. I wouldn't avoid a pipe just because it has a vulcanite stem. Don't clench it too hard, wipe the saliva off after every smoke, coat it with obsidian oil if you're not going to be using it for awhile, and store it out of the sun. It might get duller but it should stay in good condition for as long as you own the pipe. Some of the best artisan pipe carvers use vulcanite stems.

FRed3137

Lurker
Mar 13, 2024
Sorry, I misread your earlier reference to the pipe selector. I wouldn't avoid a pipe just because it has a vulcanite stem. Don't clench it too hard, wipe the saliva off after every smoke, coat it with obsidian oil if you're not going to be using it for awhile, and store it out of the sun. It might get duller but it should stay in good condition for as long as you own the pipe. Some of the best artisan pipe carvers use vulcanite stems.
Interesting.
Thank you for the instructions.

To follow up on the Algonquin model, I got a reply from a shop that Brigham probably made some Algonquin with Acrylic and switched to Vulcanized stems somewhere.

Reactions: dunnyboy

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
The website you've linked shows that Brigham Algonquin models are made with acrylic stems. I'm not entirely sure that is accurate.
I’m not sure but you could double check with SP. They have made mistakes in the past (like mislabeling a more expensive pipe and selling it to me at the cheaper price 😅). Could it be that Brigham has transitioned to using some acrylic stems? I know other companies like Peterson have started doing it on more lines than they did in the past.