PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

FattyG

Lurker
May 16, 2021
New Zealand
Yea if it is stopped, you’ll pay $86 per 50g, import levy of around $50, gst on total product value/duty/shipping costs.
Cheers for the info Ahi :) My understanding is that if it's stopped, you have to pay the customs etc or you'll face fines - do you know if that's correct?

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Cheers for the info Ahi :) My understanding is that if it's stopped, you have to pay the customs etc or you'll face fines - do you know if that's correct?
My understanding is that It depends on how customs interpret the product. If it is deemed pipe tobacco it will be seized and destroyed and you will liable for a fine - most probably just a warning letter but still. If it is accepted as plug/rope tobacco (and therefore technically also chewing tobacco - I am assuming this is cupojoes approach), you will be liable for the duty payments. If you choose to not pay the duty you will have to forfeit the product. As far as I am away The only way you can be fined for not paying duty is if it is proven that you are importing with the intent of avoiding duty.

what a mouthful. Sure makes canteros seem less stressful when starting back into the hobby. I have a mate who only smokes once a month and treasures that evening where he can have a few bowls and unwind. There are plenty of ways to enjoy this that won’t break the bank. Homegrown though bro, is really our only option if we want a constant daily supply

• Wow
Reactions: SpookedPiper

canadianpuffer

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2017
I have a question. As a canadian with higher taxes than our Us brethren, it is common practice to shop internationally. Now these orders are obviously subject to duty that makes it similar priced to local.

now what I have recently discovered is that you can privately import up to 3kg of raw leaf tobacco from sites like leafonly and only pay an agricultural duty of like $1.17 per kg or something silly low.

is that an option for you guys? I k ow they are particular about pests and may need to spray it or something. It’s a loophole for us canaucks. Hoping perhaps it might be for you guys too

Reactions: Ahi Ka

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
I have a question. As a canadian with higher taxes than our Us brethren, it is common practice to shop internationally. Now these orders are obviously subject to duty that makes it similar priced to local.

now what I have recently discovered is that you can privately import up to 3kg of raw leaf tobacco from sites like leafonly and only pay an agricultural duty of like $1.17 per kg or something silly low.

is that an option for you guys? I k ow they are particular about pests and may need to spray it or something. It’s a loophole for us canaucks. Hoping perhaps it might be for you guys too
Unfortunately not anymore. That “loophole” was closed last July when import legislation was changed. The only way you can import Unmanufactured whole leaf is by applying for an alternative use permit, which requires you to submit your management plan for how you will store and use your tobacco and you sign a declaration stating that you will not use it to manufacture smoking tobacco.

keep getting that whole leaf though bro!

FattyG

Lurker
May 16, 2021
New Zealand
So I ended up getting a tin of Erinmore flake. My first experiences so far have been somewhat frustrating, and if I am to be completely honest, disappointing. Maybe it's how I'm doing it, maybe it's the tobacco, or maybe I am just not cut out for this hobby. Thing is I love all things smokey, and I love strong flavours, so I was 99% sure I'd love smoking a pipe!
In terms of the taste (once I actually got it going), it tasted like cigars (the closest comparison in my experience) in quite a generic way - nothing really convinced me to keep puffing in terms of the taste of it. The smell I like better, both the smell of the fresh, unburnt tobacco, and the smell in the garage afterwards. Is it an acquired taste would people say? I'll keep trying it every few days probably just to see. I don't hate it, but I'm not getting the richness of flavour I guess I expected, it tastes like tobacco smoke to me at this point...

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Sorry to hear it hasn’t been an enjoyable experience so far. It’s a shame tobacco is so expensive here as otherwise you could purchase a few different styles of blends to figure out what works best with your tastes.

Try getting a flake out to dry a day or so before you intend to smoke it. I know this is overkill, but it would be a good comparison to compare one extreme of case (moisture level). When you come to smoke it, rub the flake out fully with your fingers until it is ribbon like. Then take a tiny pinch at a time and drop into the chamber (gravity fill), when you get to the top use a very small amount of pressure to settle the tobacco on top - not so much pressing down but almost sideways.

hopefully, packing drier, lighter and taking longer to smoke a bowl should be a better experience. Take it slow and enjoy the room smell/note. Heck one of the guys here smokes his pipe by only taking a few sips and then putting it down for 30mins before taking another few sips - not my style, but gives him best flavour.

FattyG

Lurker
May 16, 2021
New Zealand
Sorry to hear it hasn’t been an enjoyable experience so far. It’s a shame tobacco is so expensive here as otherwise you could purchase a few different styles of blends to figure out what works best with your tastes.

Try getting a flake out to dry a day or so before you intend to smoke it. I know this is overkill, but it would be a good comparison to compare one extreme of case (moisture level). When you come to smoke it, rub the flake out fully with your fingers until it is ribbon like. Then take a tiny pinch at a time and drop into the chamber (gravity fill), when you get to the top use a very small amount of pressure to settle the tobacco on top - not so much pressing down but almost sideways.

hopefully, packing drier, lighter and taking longer to smoke a bowl should be a better experience. Take it slow and enjoy the room smell/note. Heck one of the guys here smokes his pipe by only taking a few sips and then putting it down for 30mins before taking another few sips - not my style, but gives him best flavour.
Thanks Ahi. I haven't tried drying it out before smoking it yet, although I've smoked one pipe over a couple of days and didn't notice much of a difference. I think I tried packing lightly like you said, but found that I could actually smoke it like that as it went out too quickly and I had to huff and puff to get a mouth-full. So I actually found after I tamped it down much harder it was a better experience. I might be misunderstanding you though!
This guy that takes a sip every 30 minutes - I assume he'd have to re-light every time, because mine would go out after less than a minute probably.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Yeah he relights it each time and feels he gets most flavour on the relight. Just keep mucking around and find what suits you best. I’ll have a look through what I have on hand and we might be able to swap some of that erinmore for some samples of a few different blends to see if there is a style you prefer.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Unfortunately not anymore. That “loophole” was closed last July when import legislation was changed. The only way you can import Unmanufactured whole leaf is by applying for an alternative use permit, which requires you to submit your management plan for how you will store and use your tobacco and you sign a declaration stating that you will not use it to manufacture smoking tobacco.

keep getting that whole leaf though bro!
What is the point of tobacco, if not for smoking ?

Perhaps the tobacco can be used in a smoking ceremony a la in Australian first nation, and we all indulge in mass inhalation :)
OR using it for chewing or perhaps turning it into snuff ?

Bureaucrats and politicians obviously originate from an alternate reality !

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
So I ended up getting a tin of Erinmore flake. My first experiences so far have been somewhat frustrating, and if I am to be completely honest, disappointing. Maybe it's how I'm doing it, maybe it's the tobacco, or maybe I am just not cut out for this hobby. Thing is I love all things smokey, and I love strong flavours, so I was 99% sure I'd love smoking a pipe!
In terms of the taste (once I actually got it going), it tasted like cigars (the closest comparison in my experience) in quite a generic way - nothing really convinced me to keep puffing in terms of the taste of it. The smell I like better, both the smell of the fresh, unburnt tobacco, and the smell in the garage afterwards. Is it an acquired taste would people say? I'll keep trying it every few days probably just to see. I don't hate it, but I'm not getting the richness of flavour I guess I expected, it tastes like tobacco smoke to me at this point...
Erinmore Flake is a new favourite for me. I dry it out quite well by leaving it in an oven that is cooling down for about 10 minutes. It is quite dry after that and I just sort of crumble it up and put it in the pipe relatively loosely. It's for a beautiful sweet and deliciously smoke.

Reactions: OzPiper

FattyG

Lurker
May 16, 2021
New Zealand
Erinmore Flake is a new favourite for me. I dry it out quite well by leaving it in an oven that is cooling down for about 10 minutes. It is quite dry after that and I just sort of crumble it up and put it in the pipe relatively loosely. It's for a beautiful sweet and deliciously smoke.

Hey, what are you ozzies doing in here? haha. Anyway, yeah I'm getting more into Erinmore after a few bowls. My problems have probably been way more to do with not knowing what I'm doing rather than with that specific blend! Now that I (think) I'm packing the pipe properly (not too tight), drying it out a bit beforehand, and lighting it properly (has been a challenge because I only have bic lighters) I'm actually enjoying it, and getting some of that sweetness you mention. I definitely don't think my palate is developed enough to appreciate it fully yet - I'm guessing that will take time similar to my experience over the last couple of years with whiskey.

tobefrank

Lifer
Jun 22, 2015
Australia
Hey, what are you ozzies doing in here? haha. Anyway, yeah I'm getting more into Erinmore after a few bowls. My problems have probably been way more to do with not knowing what I'm doing rather than with that specific blend! Now that I (think) I'm packing the pipe properly (not too tight), drying it out a bit beforehand, and lighting it properly (has been a challenge because I only have bic lighters) I'm actually enjoying it, and getting some of that sweetness you mention. I definitely don't think my palate is developed enough to appreciate it fully yet - I'm guessing that will take time similar to my experience over the last couple of years with whiskey.
Crashing the party from across the Tasman Sea! ?

If you've just started out Virginia tobaccos will be a bit hard to get in terms of flavour. They are not a punch in the face, you'll know it when you taste it kind of thing. English blends are better for that. So, keep at it and smoke slow and you'll get there.

Rags2Pipe

Lurker
Jan 1, 2022
Hello everyone- I’ve just joined the world of pipe smoking about a week ago and thoroughly enjoy it!

Purchased a MM Cobb while I await a couple of churchwardens and have some Old Man Krantz, Erinmore Flake on the shelf w some Nightcap & Winding Road on the way!

Is this the only forum for NZ Pipe Smokers or is there a Facebook page?

FattyG

Lurker
May 16, 2021
New Zealand
Welcome Rags2pipe! I think it's a pretty small online community in NZ - if there was anything else Ahi would know, he's been around a while :)

• Haha