PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Since I'm a quill pen and parchment user, I shouldn't suggest anything involving technology, but might skype or conference call technology bring a pipe club together, with an actual meeting once or twice a year? You could even ring in great pipe men from overseas to give presentation/interviews.

charf

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
I’m still learning how to conference call on the telephone!
Kiwiazz, I’m getting my pipe tobacco from Canteros in Christchurch. They have an online shop and have added a lot of blends. Hand on RE-light required. They seem to be re-stocking regularly. Good communication to.

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
Hey guys, back into my pipes after a bit of a break and down in Christchurch now, I have started bringing in tobacco's again and fingers crossed have not had to pay any duties yet. Fortunately I still have a wee bit of tobbaco left ... Frog Morton's , shortcut to mushrooms ... black house although at the moment I am enjoying dark strong Kentucky and Vermont meat candy. Anyone fancies a sample of anything feel free to yell

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Hey folks. I’m now in Auckland.
I’ve looked at Canteros for cigars, but can’t bring myself to pay those prices yet. I have had reasonable luck ordering online, but only order what I know I can afford if I get hit with duty and taxes. Which means I don’t order often. My biggest ding so far has been $450 on a 300g order. Ouch.
Best,
Pat

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
Couple places in Auckland you can get cigars and pipe tobacco but such limited range and huge prices ... Prefer to take my chances and order from overseas. Who wants to pay $100 for a tin of Peterson's?. How you getting on with getting cigars in? I am looking to stock a small humidor for the Mrs,oddly enough she enjoys a cigar once or twice a year

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Kiwi pipe-folk. If you’re interested in connecting with other NZ tobacco lovers, toss me a PM here. I have some experience in this regard and would be happy to coordinate something.
— Pat

Reactions: peregrinus

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
Always good to catch up with fellow pipe smokers and share the enjoyment of the hobby...can also pick up some really good tips and tricks

lazybugger

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 9, 2012
I have a small amount of tweksbury hobbits weed and shortcut to mushrooms by just for him ... Nicely aged as well if anyone is interested in a sample

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Just ordered some GL Pease blends from 4Noggins. First purchase from an overseas online supplier versus the local one. I wonder if it will make it to my door? I heard recently the local online shop had one of his bulk shipments disappear between Customs and his doorstep. Stolen somewhere in the transportation corridor. Besides shop robberies for cigarettes I guess this is just another outcome because of the extreme excise taxes. Fingers crossed.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Good luck, Charf. Keep us posted on how your order goes.
So far so good for me into AKL with that vendor.
Although that was before the ownership transition.
— Pat

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
FYI for those who mentioned it a couple months ago, Jan Zeman retired from pipe making several years ago. If you can score one, or come across a trove of them at an estate sale in NZ, you can probably sell them for good money on ebay. They are great pipes.
Best of luck on your meeting up with fellow smokers.

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
My 3x 50g tins of GL Pease arrived from 4Noggins. Ordered on the 29th Oct, arrived on the 7th Nov via Dubai. Customs did not intercept it so including the postage (cheapest option) it cost me NZ$31 a tin. A whopping saving of about NZ$70-80 a tin. I would say it could be a bit hit and miss as to whether Customs intercept it or let it go through. I may have been lucky. If Customs had of intercepted it I would have had to pay excise tax and a customs fee. Then it would have cost about the same as if I had bought it from a local importer. However either way I got to obtain some blends that are not currently available here. The exchange rate was NZ$1=US$0.63 and I added a 3% credit card fee for the international transaction.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
4 noggins has always been a standup company where shipping restrictions are concerned. Glad you dodged the taxman on this go.

charf

Jul 10, 2018
New Zealand
Any New Zealand pipe smokers online that want a tin of Lane 1-Q and Cult Blood Red Moon. I have smoked a few bowls out of each tin and have had the baccy in jars since I opened the tins 4 months ago. I have now put it back in the original tins. After trying a few blends I have come to the conclusion that I am not an Aromatic smoker and there’s no point me keeping it. A few $ would be appreciated. Send me a PM if your interested and I will courier it to you.

brassmonkey

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2018
Hey there Charf, whereabouts are you located? Im guessing South Island somewhere going by your avatar. I'm down in Dunedin. I could be keen on the Lane while I wait for 3 tins I've ordered from 4nogggins.