Not open for further replies.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
they're just a bunch of uncircumcised heathen
Thin Skin Rules!
A quick story:

20+ years ago, my wife and I found ourselves in Belgium on a self-guided beer tour. I had bought (and read) the British Beer critic Michael Jackson's guidebook to Belgium pubs, and on our first day, we proceeded to look for a good place for lunch. Following the guide, we came upon a restaurant with a good tap selection. The menu was covered in very nice illustrations of smiling mushrooms playing with each other in a field. We went in and after a somewhat odd conversation with the maitre d' ("are you sure this is where the guide sent you?") that we chalked up to the language barrier, we sat down and ordered burgers (with mushrooms) and beers. While we waited, I glanced around the bar, and noticed that we were the only hetero couple there, and that everyone else was glancing at me. I picked up the menu again, as a diversion, and looked a bit more closely at the illustrations. No, they weren't mushrooms, and something was squirting out from the tops of their heads. Ah, yes. Now it all made sense.
Either way, the burgers (with actual mushrooms) were quite good, especially when paired with a Cantillon Geueze and some nice Abbey cheeses.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
Adults? Not quite, P.H. - think of this place as a kingdom or better yet an underground network of eukaryotic tobacco enthusiasts. Something churning the waste of the tobacco world. Some even seem to have psychedelic qualities.
Hats off to the mods for not shutting this thread down - I'm always in favor of seeing where these things go and this one turned out quite enjoyable.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
I picked up the menu again, as a diversion, and looked a bit more closely at the illustrations. No, they weren't mushrooms, and something was squirting out from the tops of their heads. Ah, yes. Now it all made sense.
Either way, the burgers (with actual mushrooms) were quite good, especially when paired with a Cantillon Geueze and some nice Abbey cheeses.
If I still had an appetite, I don't think I could have ordered a mushroom burger at that point.
mushroom-453x600.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I believe the 1985 Chicago Bears put out a video "Super Bowl Truffle". The chorus went like this:
We are the Bears Trufflin' Crew

Trufflin' on down, doin' it for you.

We're so bad we know we're good.

Blowin' your mind like we knew we would.

You know we're just struttin' for fun

Struttin' our stuff for everyone.

We're not here to start no trouble.

We're just here to do the Super Bowl Truffle.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Adults? Not quite, P.H. - think of this place as a kingdom or better yet an underground network of eukaryotic tobacco enthusiasts. Something churning the waste of the tobacco world. Some even seem to have psychedelic qualities.
:clap:
Did the burgers come with fries?
Obviously a Monsanto potato.

bassbug

Lifer
Dec 29, 2016
^^^^
That's quite the erect fungi...not that there's anything wrong with that

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Just so everyone knows. Pinhead refers to pinheads as in mushrooms. I have studied mycology for many years.
Just a suggestion PH...imo deathcap would be a great screen name. Even as little as I know about mycology I would have gotten that one right away.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
^ We managed to accomplish it without his assistance...but it required a group effort.
EDIT: great avocado pic btw...my appetite is returning.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Lol, holy crap, your mushroom story literally had me crying, Woodsroad. Reminded me of a time my parents booked a romantic weekend getaway at a bed and breakfast for their anniversary. Of course my stepfather booked the place and he thought it was called Steve & Michell’s B&B but when they got there thy quickly realized that he misread the website, it was actually Steve & Michael’s B&B but lucky for them they were hetero friendly. Makes for a great story too as my parents are some of the most old fashioned, conservative folks I know, it turns out they had a really good time. I’ll have to tell them about your experience, they’ll get a hoot and a holler out of that one. Lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.