PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sixtyten

Lurker
Oct 16, 2011
Hello all
I smoked a pipe for a short time around 2003 along with cigars. I found a Meerschaum corncob pipe the other day in a store as a novelty item. I did a Google search and found that its a decent pipe. I picked a 1-Q blend today and plan on trying it out. I still have my other pipe which is an Alpha Omega. I thought the corncob pipe was pretty small for a quick smoke outside or in the garage. Plus... I need something to help me relax and I thought smoking a pipe this fall sounded perfect.

aussielass

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 18, 2011
Hello all, name is Di (Dianne) from Australia. Not sure what came over me, but have taken up smoking a pipe in my 52nd year, namely, a couple of days ago, so a completely raw beginner.
Have been researching like a woman possessed, in between engaging in a buying frenzy on eBay - have managed to get English, French, Italian, USA models ... all purchased based on their prettiness and/or femininity. I know that'll have many of you slapping foreheads and gnashing teeth, but if I don't think it's pretty, I won't be putting it to my mouth!
At this point, the only pipe I've puffed is a new Fimo covered super funky Meerschaum containing Borukum Riff - how very plebian of me :) Can't wait until my 15 or so pretties arrive so I can get super serious. Oh, and I've bought every tool and accessory known to man too .... no, I'm not the least bit excessive compulsive :roll:
Cheers Di

swilly

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2011
Hey hey hey, hello from China. Well, I'm actually from Illinois, but I'm taking a year off from college to pursue some acting at a film academy in Beijing. I've always been interested in smoking cigars/pipes. I started out with a handful of cigars, but I found that I didn't really enjoy the smell or taste. Why did I start with cigars? To start with one or two cigars seemed pretty inexpensive, and I initially looked at pipe-smoking as being too much of a commitment(ofc I found out that pipes have a more expensive initial cost, but in the long run, unless you're buying Tokutomi pipes whenever they come out, it's more "affordable").
There's a place in Beijing called 后海, and near there, there is a street called 烟袋斜街, which, according to google translate, means Pipe Byway. It was called this because the street is somewhat shaped like a pipe, and in the olden days, there were a ton of pipe shops too. I was walking on this street when I noticed some pipe stores. My interest in smoking rekindled (hah, pun not intended), I checked the place out. Several weeks later, I went in and bought some generic cheapie rosewood bulldog for 95RMB and some MacBaren Vanilla Choice and Borkum Riff Honey and Orange. Anyway, I wasn't quite content with just one pipe, and not even a briar at that, so about two weeks after getting that bulldog, I went back and got a Savinelli Rusticated Tortuga 127, which is a much better smoker than the bulldog. Well, that may be because I used a different tobacco in the Sav...
Enough with that, let me finish my introduction! This all started earlier this October, and let me say, smoking is a LOT easier here in China than I imagine it'll be when I go back to the states. I hope to read a lot of interesting posts, post some good questions, and contribute to this forum (if this internet allows me -- for some reason pipesmagazine is loads unbearably slow).
Happy Smoking!

-Swilly

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
Some VERY cool stories and very interesting new members! I can't wait for some posts from an American in China! Or from the obsessed Austrialian!
And not to worry JimboGregs, many of us "have champagne taste and beer money" and it doesn't stop us from enjoying the finer things in life! :puffy:

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
I'd like to extend a Welcome to our new Lady members. (albeit belated)

There is Dianne (Di) Aussielass, and just in the last few hours Jennifer thejen57, and a few others over the last couple of weeks.

I think this is absolutely fabulous! :clap:
:clap: We're glad to have all of you Fairer members.

Please don't be shy. Dive right in. The water's fine.

:puffy:

73mountaineer

Lurker
Oct 20, 2011
Chelsea, AL
Hello to all of you from sunny Birmingham, Alabama! I have been a pretty serious cigar smoker for a while and just recently decided to branch out into the world of pipe smoking. So, as a complete newb to pipes, I stumbled upon this site, and well, here I am. Much to learn!
Best regards,

Steve

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Glad to have you here "neighbor"!

Literally; 73mountaineer only lives about 15 minutes from the house-20.

Don't be shy.

Just dive right in!

:puffy:

thejen57

Lurker
Oct 20, 2011
Hello everyone,

I am a newbie, smoked my first pipe in September of this year. I love the smell of a pipe and thought I should experience it with all my senses. So, I bought a couple of corn cob pipes and a friend gave me some tinned CAO tobacco. Six weeks later, I have a shelf of tobaccos and I have purchased a Nording, Savinelli, Aldo Velani and I have a Hardcastle and a Lord Davenport coming in the mail from ebay.
I found this website while researching the Lord Davenport. I have not found much about the pipe except the old Lord Davenport ad but I think this website is the best!

chops

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2011
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
Hello Everyone! I am brand-new to the pipe smoking world. I live in the Lower Hudson Valley of NY and have never been a smoker until recently (I am approaching my 'middle years'). I have only dabbled a little in cigars and decided to try a pipe. I bought a corncob and some tobacco from a local shop. Turns out I love it.

I am curious about buying a more 'advanced' pipe but there are so many choices I honestly don't know where to begin. I don't smoke often (2 ounces of tobacco is lasting a long time) so a pipe purchase would be a serious one. Any suggestions are appreciated. Glad to be here.

Oct 22, 2011
Good Evening, Friends. I'd just like to introduce myself. My name is James. Several years ago, I inherited a rather large pipe collection and am only now able to attend to pipe smoking with the attention it deserves. I wanted to officially join this community because, any time I search for a (good) answer to a rather specific question, the best answer always seems to be found here. Therefore, it is my hope that some humble offering from me could also help someone else.
I am open to many types of tobacco, but currently have preference for "American-English" blends. I find that I tend to gravitate to blends that contain at least some burley. Finally, although I own and smoke pipes of all kinds, I am an active proponent of Falcon.
In the near future, I would like I find out more about flake tobaccos. Peace to you all.
- A Struggling Thinker

Greetings fellow pipe entusiasts, I thought I would join this site to stay up to date and I thought it would be a great way to show people what I've been working on lately. I am a professional artist. I own a tattoo studio in Montclair, California. http://tattooalchemy.com and I have been creating and selling fine art prints and originals for years. http://www.jasonclaydunn.com .
Collecting pipes has been a hobby of mine for many years now. I truly appreciate all the hard work that goes into creating these functional pieces of art. I truly think I'm addicted to studying them. I hope someday to get my hands on some briar and attempt to develop my own pipe but for now I'm going to settle for what I do best and that's paint pipe inspired themes.
I thought I would share some of my first canvas creations. Feedback of all kinds are welcomed. Thank you all for being so kind and thoughtful in this community.
Jason Dunn

6278251947_9d82571bc5_o.jpg
6278252105_4261a0e094_o.jpg

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6057/6278249623_f0b7b1d8d4_o.jpg
6278769200_71150f55e3_o.jpg

Oct 25, 2011
Ephrata
Hello all! My hubby (Paul the pipe ninja) finally convinced me to join, so here I am.
I started smoking a pipe when I was about 20ish, when I found one of my grandpop's old pipes. It was a doozy of learning curve, but I eventually got the hang of it.
Look forward to chatting with all of ya.

Oct 25, 2011
Ephrata
I love your screen name Pipeninjamaster.

Now we know who Paul's SWMBO is.

We are all glad you joined us.

Welcome!

:rofl:
Thanks Lawrence!
I may not be around as much as Paul (he kind of hogs the laptop), but will certainly stop by when I can :D

luke

Lurker
Oct 26, 2011
Hi Everyone,
Hi Everyone,
Just joined. Great forum. I have learned a LOT about pipes, tobacco, and how to properly enjoy them in the past month. It all started with a recent Boston trip – there I was on Harvard Square standing in brisk fall weather when I site a tobacco shop older than Texas (the hot hot place I live). I wander in and the salesman really knew his trade. I ended up buying a Stanwell “Mariner’s pipe” for just under a hundred and some Cavendish style tobacco. Smoking it properly and keeping the bowl and stem dry has resulted in me really enjoying pipe smoking for the first time. (I have dabbled with it several times in the past because it just looks so relaxing.) No hot tongue or dry mouth or coughing (no inhale). In the time since then I have picked up another Stanwell, a Mauro Armellini Italian briar (awesome pipe), a Caminetto “Christmas” pipe and have a Peterson on the way. With the exception of the Italian pipes these were all reasonably priced. I have an old meerschaum and thought nothing could smoke cooler than that till I started smoking these briars properly with good beginner tobacco and they surpass the meerschaum easily. I think I have been down to Tobacco Lane in downtown Fort Worth 4 times in the past month trying different tobaccos for free and so far I have definitely settled on a favorite evening smoke hands down – it is called “Finest” and is a very rich dark vanilla tobacco the sell OTC.
Look forward to future discussions and learning more.
Cheers, Luke

lagavulin92

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2010
Hi!
I'm back online after a long break and even fonder of the forum. If anyone sent me me an unanswered friend request, please take no offense.
Happy smoking!
Nam

Status
Not open for further replies.