PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

natenice1

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2014
Superb collection my friend, I see a man of taste and refinement with the Mont Blanc writing instrument box! I collect Watermans. Welcome! :puffy:

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Received the Cooke today and it's every bit as beautiful as it appeared to be in the eBay photo. A very serious hand carved beauty. And at a great price!!!

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I have ONE. It's an old estate shellbriar with a replacement stem. I just sent it to Howard Shulte for his advice and likely a certified Dunhill replacement stem w/dot, IF the sterling silver band doesn't cause his objection.

I'm not sure it's original, either. I guess he can replace that too.
A stem he said, from Dunhill supplied stock would be cut for $67.00 complete with dot. Without a dot, he said he'd cut one for about $20.00.
This man knows his Dunhill's. I'm excited to make my bent shell as authentic as possible. I won't be spending hundreds of dollars on pipes, and this will hopefully, fill that all consuming desire of owning the legendary Dunhill pipe.
I did smoke it once before I sent it off, and it smoked perfectly.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Welcome to the forum and it looks clearly that you have a wonderful collection of Dunhills
n. A big mistake and I am turned off trying new brands because of it. It is a beautiful piece of briar and a tasty smoke, but the military type stem won't stay in. The pipe is far more of a nuisance than it is worth, so it just sits in a drawer.
Foggy
I have no doubt that if you return the pipe to mr. Remington he will be happy to make the small adjustment to fix that issue
Give him a chance. As you said, it's a good smoker so allow him to correct it
IMHO

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Thanks so much to everyone here!!! I don't actually know any other pipe smokers in person and my friends wouldn't know a Dunhill from a hole in the ground. It's been a very solitary hobby for me so it's wonderful to get feedback from a pipe smoking community! Turns out that Birmingham, AL isn't the center of the pipe world. Shocking huh? Anyways, I take a great deal of pride in my little Dunhill cabinet. I'm thankful for everyone's feedback!! I know it's not every smokers cup o' tea, but something about them attracts me. It's obviously not to impress anybody since nobody I know is the slightest bit impressed, on the contrary. I just love them and now I kinda like the compare/contrast of the Cooke pipes. I'm sure there are MANY other great lines out there, but I just like keeping a narrow focus. I've always hada great appreciation for beautiful, purpose built, beautifully engineered objects. I am not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination but I've allowed myself a few luxuries as an over 40 guy without a wife or kids. I just picked up a new Deep Sea Rolex. I have a couple montblacs, Cartier glasses, and I collect Baccarat crystal. That's about the end of my few extravagances.

Again thanks to everybody who's posted on this thread! I love reading them!!!

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
your collection keeps getting better, and given your other collections, you're obviously a collector of some discernment and taste. BTW, you're only about 20 minutes at most from The Briary in Homewood, a first-rate B&M.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
ravkesef

Thanks so much!!! I like to think I have a bit of taste, but who knows. I've been to the briars a few times. Those are great guys over there!! I've lived here most of my life and remember when they were inside Brookwood mall. What they've done with that small house is brilliant! A pipe shop in the truest sense of the word! Have you been there?

saltedplug

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Beautiful. I've passed into the realm of Dunhill yearned fueled by classic shapes and the history and mystique. Now I just have to get the big stash of cash.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That certainly perked everybody up! Gorgeous stable of classic pipes there, yes.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Well I have two new additions, one of which is a Dunhill it's taken me a VERY long time to find. I've been looking for a 1944 Dunhill, my fathers birth year, and very difficult to locate because of the war and almost zero production. I found one though, not a perfect specimen but it fits the bill! Also won a "collectors" Dunhill.

Status
Not open for further replies.