PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercury38

Lurker
Nov 2, 2020
Leavenworth/Seattle Washington
Welcome from Granite Falls, Washington.

I got to visit the original Tinder Box once when I was in the area on business. I didn't get to meet Ed but I had an affection for the whole Tinder Box chain. It was Paul Reasoner (Harry Reasoner's brother) who sold me my first good pipe, (a Charatan) at the store in Seattle.
If I remember correctly there was a TB store up at Alderwood mall near Lynwood? Harry Reasoner's brother. Thats very cool.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
"Hey" from central North Carolina. I've visited Seattle twice, always in blooming sunshine with Mt. Rainer peering over the horizon like a moon. Saw the USS Missouri there on its way to Hawaii to serve as a museum, and the USS Turner Joy of Gulf of Tonkin fame, if anyone remembers that. Welcome.

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
If I remember correctly there was a TB store up at Alderwood mall near Lynwood? Harry Reasoner's brother. Thats very cool.
Yes, there was a Tinderbox in the Alderwood mall. Very convenient when I lived about a mile away! The Tinderbox I used to frequent back in the Seventies though was the one in Southcenter.

I remember being appalled at the idea of buying a used pipe when someone there suggested it to me. Now, of course, I have a dozen or so "estate" pipes in my collection.

• Haha
Reactions: bnichols23

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Hello and welcome from the Seattle area.
My first pipe (Comoy) and tobaccos (Q1, BCA) were from the SouthCenter Tinderbox.
I don’t miss Q1 but I do miss that Tinderbox store.
It wasn't my first pipe, but rather my first "good" pipe at least according to Mr. Reasoner. I got a Charatan and for many years I smoked the Tinderbox #2 mixture (cube cut burley, with a little deertongue). Occasionally I expanded my horizons by getting one of their Christmas samplers.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Thank you for the welcome, sir.
Agreed. The Wells Fargo looked extremely strange. And, as it turns out, that branch has closed. I believe the building is still for sale.
But there are some great recreational opportunities in the PNW. And although the season can be short - and if you don't mind hiking in rain sometimes - spending time on the trails in this area is cathartic, and even necessary given these insane times. I've logged quite a few miles hiking around Mt. Rainier and climbed it once but the knees have chosen to forego that abuse.
Arizona. My son lives in Phoenix. I lived in Tucson, Flagstaff and even Winslow for a while long ago. A bit toasty for me now.
Well if you've climbed Rainier you have legit mountaineering skills. That is not a climb to be taken lightly! And yes, so many great recreational opportunities, even in the rain. If you don't hike in the rain in western OR/WA, you won't hike much at all!

As for the cathartic effect, I feel it very strongly every time I get up into the Columbia river gorge for a hike. In addition to the fact that I grew up on those trails, the feeling of being among the waterfalls and the old growth temperate rainforest tends to wash away whatever anxiety I might be experiencing at the moment. It's been a while since I've been back there with Covid and all. Now I'm missing it all over again!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Well if you've climbed Rainier you have legit mountaineering skills. That is not a climb to be taken lightly! And yes, so many great recreational opportunities, even in the rain. If you don't hike in the rain in western OR/WA, you won't hike much at all!

As for the cathartic effect, I feel it very strongly every time I get up into the Columbia river gorge for a hike. In addition to the fact that I grew up on those trails, the feeling of being among the waterfalls and the old growth temperate rainforest tends to wash away whatever anxiety I might be experiencing at the moment. It's been a while since I've been back there with Covid and all. Now I'm missing it all over again!
man I miss being able to take long hikes. First rule of long hikes bring out the cobs.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank you all for the welcome.
FYI: I'm splitting time lately between Seattle and the Wenatchee/Leavenworth area. Originally from Santa Monica California, where my first pipe purchases were made at the original Tinder Box on Wilshire. Ed Kolpin was an incredibly friendly and patient man. Of course, being in my teens, the only pipes I could afford were cherrywoods and the occasional basket pipes he kept on the counter. Most of which I ruined.
Still miss that store and it's owner.

I got to the Tinder Box about six months before it closed. And a few visits to Kramer's before they bit the dust. Damn!

Welcome!

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.

Mercury38

Lurker
Nov 2, 2020
Leavenworth/Seattle Washington
I got to the Tinder Box about six months before it closed. And a few visits to Kramer's before they bit the dust. Damn!

Welcome!

You can put your location in your Profile—(please!—because people will forget!) That will save questions in the future as to where you live when you later mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc., etc..
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. Just country if you must.
jpmcwjr...
Done! Thanks for the tip.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I know how you feel, by the time I joined, I was so familiar with all the guys, it had felt like I was there for years.... Haha

Oh and welcome from Wisconsin!

Reactions: jpmcwjr

bnichols23

Lifer
Mar 13, 2018
SC Piedmont
Howdy from piedmont of SC, merc! Glad to have you here. Yeah, TBI's #2 was what we sold a lot of in the Tallahassee FL store when I worked there back in the 70s. Good blend, easy to keep going. Then we got Lamplighter, a whole different ball game!

Bill

echambers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2017
Welcome to the forum from a fellow PNWesterner! Makes me want to pull out a falcon....

Status
Not open for further replies.