PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mercury38

Lurker
Nov 2, 2020
Leavenworth/Seattle Washington
Hello to all.
Thought I had joined long ago, but apparently not. The memory fades....
I guess I've been cheating - often searching the forums for this and that. But doing it quietly.
I've been smoking pipes for over 50 years after finding two Falcon Classics on a bus in the late 60's. (Its a long story) Haven't really stopped since. (After my first two, I stopped foraging and did actually purchase my smoking gear).
Now, I've pared the collection down to 97. A hodgepodge of Castellos, Petersons, Radices, Preben Holms, and many other disparate makers. But alas, no Falcons.
Needless to say, I'm glad to be here with like-minded folks. This forum is a resource second to none.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Hello to all.
Thought I had joined long ago, but apparently not. The memory fades....
I guess I've been cheating - often searching the forums for this and that. But doing it quietly.
I've been smoking pipes for over 50 years after finding two Falcon Classics on a bus in the late 60's. (Its a long story)
We like long stories :)

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
Welcome from NJ!

What part of the PNW are you in? I know the area reasonably well, having lived in Tacoma and then Portland for twenty years, with annual visits to family & friends ever since I left in late ‘81.

Mercury38

Lurker
Nov 2, 2020
Thank you all for the welcome.
FYI: I'm splitting time lately between Seattle and the Wenatchee/Leavenworth area. Originally from Santa Monica California, where my first pipe purchases were made at the original Tinder Box on Wilshire. Ed Kolpin was an incredibly friendly and patient man. Of course, being in my teens, the only pipes I could afford were cherrywoods and the occasional basket pipes he kept on the counter. Most of which I ruined.
Still miss that store and it's owner.

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
Thank you all for the welcome.
FYI: I'm splitting time lately between Seattle and the Wenatchee/Leavenworth area. Originally from Santa Monica California, where my first pipe purchases were made at the original Tinder Box on Wilshire. Ed Kolpin was an incredibly friendly and patient man. Of course, being in my teens, the only pipes I could afford were cherrywoods and the occasional basket pipes he kept on the counter. Most of which I ruined.
Still miss that store and it's owner.
Welcome to the forums! I live in Arizona now, but I grew up in Portland, and I have a bunch of family and friends still up there. My brother lives in Fall City, and I love the whole area. I spent a week in Leavenworth a couple of years ago. Went to see some Phish shows at the Gorge, did some great hiking (and swimming), and climbed my first multi-pitch rock climb just outside of down along the Wenatchee river. Truly a special place, even with all the faux-Bavarian architecture (Kinda weird to see a Wells Fargo in that style).

Mercury38

Lurker
Nov 2, 2020
Welcome to the forums! I live in Arizona now, but I grew up in Portland, and I have a bunch of family and friends still up there. My brother lives in Fall City, and I love the whole area. I spent a week in Leavenworth a couple of years ago. Went to see some Phish shows at the Gorge, did some great hiking (and swimming), and climbed my first multi-pitch rock climb just outside of down along the Wenatchee river. Truly a special place, even with all the faux-Bavarian architecture (Kinda weird to see a Wells Fargo in that style).
Thank you for the welcome, sir.
Agreed. The Wells Fargo looked extremely strange. And, as it turns out, that branch has closed. I believe the building is still for sale.
But there are some great recreational opportunities in the PNW. And although the season can be short - and if you don't mind hiking in rain sometimes - spending time on the trails in this area is cathartic, and even necessary given these insane times. I've logged quite a few miles hiking around Mt. Rainier and climbed it once but the knees have chosen to forego that abuse.
Arizona. My son lives in Phoenix. I lived in Tucson, Flagstaff and even Winslow for a while long ago. A bit toasty for me now.

Reactions: musicman

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
Welcome from Granite Falls, Washington.

I got to visit the original Tinder Box once when I was in the area on business. I didn't get to meet Ed but I had an affection for the whole Tinder Box chain. It was Paul Reasoner (Harry Reasoner's brother) who sold me my first good pipe, (a Charatan) at the store in Seattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.