PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jacob74

Lifer
Dec 22, 2019
Killeen, TX
What's the point of working so hard in your life to get to the point where you can afford luxuries, if you don't take the time to enjoy some luxuries? Not recommending anything irresponsible, of course. Let the only check you bounce be to the funeral home. The rest of your wealth and prosperity is there to be enjoyed!

dog_park_piper

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2021
The Woodlands, TX
I have somewhat got my urge to buy more pipes under control (although my wife would like a few minutes for rebuttal...). However, I have gone just "ass over teakettles" in the buying of tins of tobaccos. Seems every time I read a good review or watch a video on a new blend and hear the description of the enjoyment "this or that" blend delivers, I am caught up in a whirlwind of temptation to order just a tin or so. The cost is relatively modest and it is so easy for the camel to get it's nose under the tent and before you know it..... I've ordered a couple or a dozen.

I am judicious to seal the blend up in canning jars once I have opened the tin, so at least none of this treasure is going stale.

So the question is, how do the wise and venerable members of this august body deal with this temptation? Is there any counseling I can get? Perhaps a sponsor to call in times of weakness???
Stick to one or three blends for a long long time. Variety of choice is the killer of contentment. I tamed tobacco purchasing a lot by focusing my smoking on a few same blends for a while now. Now, other blends don’t do it for me.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I have somewhat got my urge to buy more pipes under control (although my wife would like a few minutes for rebuttal...). However, I have gone just "ass over teakettles" in the buying of tins of tobaccos. Seems every time I read a good review or watch a video on a new blend and hear the description of the enjoyment "this or that" blend delivers, I am caught up in a whirlwind of temptation to order just a tin or so. The cost is relatively modest and it is so easy for the camel to get it's nose under the tent and before you know it..... I've ordered a couple or a dozen.

I am judicious to seal the blend up in canning jars once I have opened the tin, so at least none of this treasure is going stale.

So the question is, how do the wise and venerable members of this august body deal with this temptation? Is there any counseling I can get? Perhaps a sponsor to call in times of weakness???
I'm lucky, as reviews do absolutely nothing for me. I can't detect flavors that other people can.

Burley is delicious. All the rest burn like hell.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Typically, I just wrap up any new tobaccos I'm curious about in with a larger order. I rarely ever buy less than the free shipping threshold. Typically I'll just wait until a C&D or GLP sale comes around and I'll tack on a tin or 2 of something I want to try. Either that or when the big small batches drop...CRF, Sun Bear, Scarecrow, St. Espresso, etc. Just start tossing those interesting new tobaccos on your wish list.
This is similar to what I do. For anything on SP, I add it to my wishlist.

Then, once I have money to spare, I place a big enough order for free shipping, but I usually try to wait until things are on sale. Like if I have a bunch from a given brand and that brand goes on sale.

Just adding it to the wishlist helps. Not having spare money to throw around also helps.

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Good thing about smoking only Peterson is that after awhile you have number of pipes you really want. And I haven't seen any new pipes from Peterson I can't live without. Of course, there are vintage Peterson pipes, but I really suck at finding good estate pipes, and too lazy to spend necessary hours to look for them.

deleon

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 7, 2011
Texas
When I'm debating on buying more tobacco or another pipe and my wife sees me thinking about my purchase.... should I or shouldn't I??? My wife tells me to "just buy both, you've worked hard for it".

Another way to not make an impulse buy.... don't go online searching for more pipes and tobacco :)

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
My brother in Christ, I just returned from my favorite cigar shop after the owner told me he had tins of Esoterica and Toscano Sinfonia available. I bought both, in addition to Jamaican Flake and three cigars. Any advice I'd give now would be utterly redolent with hypocrisy. :ROFLMAO:

That being said, most of the time, I just set a modest monthly budget for "fun" things, including tobacco. This usually works. Except when your dealer calls you in for the good stuff!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Where can i get some of this ‘inflated cash’? Sounds nice. 😜
Hah! Maybe "inflated" isn't the best term, but whatever cash you hold decreases in value everyday—in minute amounts per diem—but it adds up annually from a few percentage points to many, depending on the economic cycle.

Over the last five-ten years, what with some blends being no longer made, the explosion of Asian markets, the knighting of many Germain's blends, etc., prices indeed seem to be flying North. But ten years is but a blip- an expensive one for many, no doubt.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Ive found the best way to place some limits is to think in terms of categories. First I looked for a VaPer I really enjoyed. Of course I found a few. My favorites I will stock up on. Next Burley, then an English or Balkin blend. I tried a few and found two or three I really like. Next its nice to have a cigar leaf blend. Also one or two Aros. I personally dont get excited over straight VA so I dont buy them. Thats me though. Im sure there are other categories but this makes the point.

The problem is you are in the states and there are a thousand blends. Good grief, C&D has zillions. Id try the classics. As you hone your tastes and learn what leaves contribute certain flavors you can read a blend and have an idea if it is something you like.

The other thing that I think is overlooked by some is to buy some blending Perique and Lat. You can dress up a lot of blends with those and add a lot of variety to existing blends. Those of us in the EU who have limited access learn that quickly. If you can cook you can ammend blends. No real difference. It is also fun. Also mix existing blends in ratios that may work.

I think moving slowly is more useful. Sure, at first its a shotgun approach but eventually it helps to slow down and think through what you really like and move with intent becuse you will spend a fortune and a ton of energy trying to sort through everything...its just not feasible. Every blend is not great. Tobacco companies are like anything else. They put out new stuff to get fast infusions of cash. Im not saying they are bad but there is a ton of overlap and hype.

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks

"I have somewhat got my urge to buy more pipes under control "

But why?

"So the question is, how do the wise and venerable members of this august body deal with this temptation? Is there any counseling I can get? Perhaps a sponsor to call in times of weakness???"

You, might be in the wrong place for that.....

In all seriousness, I bought tobacco willy nilly for years until I found tobacco I REALLY liked, it was at that point I realized that I wasn't all that wild about all the other stuff I'd been buying comparatively. I started just buying the stuff I knew I'd really like. At this point I've got a pretty good idea what I'm gonna like and what I won't.

As for pipes, I go through periods of buying and periods of selling. As my tastes change my collection will reflect that.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
This thread just made me order half a pound of Country Squire’s Faulkner Flake. Thank you all for enabling… er… inspiring me.
Glad we could be of service.............

Ironically, my latest splurge included some Faulkner Flake. It is one of my very favorites.
I would say that I fell off of the wagon with the last purchase..... but truth be told, I don't even have the mules hooked up to the wagon. ;)

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
When I'm debating on buying more tobacco or another pipe and my wife sees me thinking about my purchase.... should I or shouldn't I??? My wife tells me to "just buy both, you've worked hard for it".

Another way to not make an impulse buy.... don't go online searching for more pipes and tobacco :)
Your wife's name must be submitted for application to sainthood.