PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
I have somewhat got my urge to buy more pipes under control (although my wife would like a few minutes for rebuttal...). However, I have gone just "ass over teakettles" in the buying of tins of tobaccos. Seems every time I read a good review or watch a video on a new blend and hear the description of the enjoyment "this or that" blend delivers, I am caught up in a whirlwind of temptation to order just a tin or so. The cost is relatively modest and it is so easy for the camel to get it's nose under the tent and before you know it..... I've ordered a couple or a dozen.

I am judicious to seal the blend up in canning jars once I have opened the tin, so at least none of this treasure is going stale.

So the question is, how do the wise and venerable members of this august body deal with this temptation? Is there any counseling I can get? Perhaps a sponsor to call in times of weakness???

Last edited by a moderator:

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I have somewhat got my urge to buy more pipes under control (although my wife would like a few minutes for rebuttal...). However, I have gone just "ass over teakettles" in the buying of tins of tobaccos. Seems every time I read a good review or watch a video on a new blend and hear the description of the enjoyment "this or that" blend delivers, I am caught up in a whirlwind of temptation to order just a tin or so. The cost is relatively modest and it is so easy for the camel to get it's nose under the tent and before you know it..... I've ordered a couple or a dozen.

So the question is, how do the wise and venerable members of this august body deal with this temptation? Is there any counseling I can get? Perhaps a sponsor to call in times of weakness???
Succumb.
No.
Absolutely not.

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
Just exhibit a bit of self-control would be my suggestion. If you are inclined to obsessive behavior ... well, you are on your own I guess.
I'm starting to think that maybe I have posed this question to the wrong group.....:col:

To Warren's point, I like to think of myself as NOT an impulsive buyer. I generally say that just prior to buying that next gun, cigar, pipe, book, etc.

Oh, and @woodsroad..... thank you for offering to help with the monetary aspect of this........

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm starting to think that maybe I have posed this question to the wrong group.....:col:

To Warren's point, I like to think of myself as NOT an impulsive buyer. I generally say that just prior to buying that next gun, cigar, pipe, book, etc.

Oh, and @woodsroad..... thank you for offering to help with the monetary aspect of this........
Just to be clear, this is not something that I offer to just anyone.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Typically, I just wrap up any new tobaccos I'm curious about in with a larger order. I rarely ever buy less than the free shipping threshold. Typically I'll just wait until a C&D or GLP sale comes around and I'll tack on a tin or 2 of something I want to try. Either that or when the big small batches drop...CRF, Sun Bear, Scarecrow, St. Espresso, etc. Just start tossing those interesting new tobaccos on your wish list.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
Eventually, the urge to buy more pipe tobacco blends will reduce. Something else will capture your fancy. Until then, if you can afford the leaf (and the wife’s grief), I would just ride it out. Why quell the fun of it is not hurting anything?

Dec 11, 2021
Fort Collins, CO
Just remember, tobacco prices are never going to be cheaper than they are today. You're welcome! puffy
This. When I started smoking pipe about 3 years ago, I started buying like crazy. I’ve now got about a 15 year supply. And when I see what prices have done even in the last three years, I’m sooo glad I went all in for a few years to build my cellar.

Bbailey324

Lifer
Jun 29, 2023
Austin, TX
Yeah just buy it when the urge strikes. That's what I do anyway.

Jars work well. If it is something I like and I'm going to smoke the tin within a few weeks I don't bother. If it is something I buy to try but not consume immediately I jar it up after a week or two. Keeps it fresh and gets in some ageing time while it sits around.