PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

RudyG

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2023
New York

A beginner's attempt to enjoy straight Virginias. Need some advice!​

After a 40 year hiatus from the pipe, I'm back and smoking only Latakia blends as I've always had.

I am trying to educate my palate into enjoying straight Virginias as I've always envied and was puzzled by the enthusiasm many smokers have for this type of tobacco.

So far I can't seem to get it, the taste seems boring and one dimensional to me.

I would like to have a consensus as to what shape and size pipe you Virginia guys/gals prefer and if you stuff or rub out? I believe I possess good technique i.e. slow smoking etc...

Help me join in the seemingly ethereal bliss of smoking Virginias. I have a tin each of McClelland 40th Anniversary and Christmas cheer thinking these would be a good beginning. Yes??

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Kindest regards, Rudy

Last edited by a moderator:
Not all Virginias are made the same. Some, especially European Virginias, are cased with a rather heavy hand. Very few are an all natural favor, but it seems that C&D are the last left doing this. The flavors are very muted, like a tea. If that doesn't sound appealing, then why keep trying? Personally, I just want tobacco flavor. All the stuff with orientals and smoked latakia don't always appeal to me. Sometimes they do, but definitely not all the time.

As for pipes, I prefer a tall narrow bowl, preferably cone shaped. But, any pipe can give a good smoke for Virginias.

Honestly, if it isn't already ring your bell, then stick with the thousands of latakia blends out there.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
After a 40 year hiatus from the pipe, I'm back and smoking only Latakia blends as I've always had.

I am trying to educate my palate into enjoying straight Virginias as I've always envied and was puzzled by the enthusiasm many smokers have for this type of tobacco.

So far I can't seem to get it, the taste seems boring and one dimensional to me.

I would like to have a consensus as to what shape and size pipe you Virginia guys/gals prefer and if you stuff or rub out? I believe I possess good technique i.e. slow smoking etc...

Help me join in the seemingly ethereal bliss of smoking Virginias. I have a tin each of McClelland 40th Anniversary and Christmas cheer thinking these would be a good beginning. Yes??

Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.

Kindest regards, Rudy
Not really great beginners, no. Needs lots of drying and can be difficult to pack. Fabulous tobacco but I think better for an experienced smoker. Buy a tin of GLP Union Square and Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia. Both are readily available. Pop the time when you get them, take out top papers if there, loosely return to and let sit for a week. Then pack and enjoy.

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA

If you pop these, I would suggest jarring them and not smoking them up right away. It has taken years of effort for me to learn to smoke Virginias, and I still feel I have a long way to go before I can fully appreciate them. Wouldn't hurt to buy a variety of other Virginia blends for your practice.

Some regret speaking here... I bought a few ounces each of McClelland #5100 and #2015 years ago, and feel like I "wasted" them by smoking too fast. I wish I'd saved a little to smoke later, I bet I could get a lot more out of them (with less tongue bite) now.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
There are also vapers and vapers with a bit if lat. i find really straight virginias a little dull myself. Maybe the best route is to try some things that are not English blends but still blends of a different sort. Instead of going zero to sixty in 2.9 seconds its more like the reverse. A full on slam of the breaks. There is no rule to say you have to like pure virginia tobaccos

I have a tin each of McClelland 40th Anniversary and Christmas cheer thinking these would be a good beginning. Yes??
I totally missed this part. NO. As an introduction to Virginias, it sucks, because there is nothing else out there like it. It is like getting an introduction to pizza through a Taco Bell Pizza.

Oddball

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 29, 2022
TN
Also you need to be patience with your Virginias.

Latakia has a strong latakia flavor from the first puff, much more so than Virginias do at least.

The Virginia takes a little time, as much as 1/3 of the bowl to getting fully developed.

I will second @cosmicfolklore again, damn near a habit it seems, the C&D blends are the best for getting the true flavor of the leaf. Euro blends are more processed or to term in a positive manner, refined.. They are good, some are great but C&D and the blends they do for other brands are where I reach now for some of these.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Virginias are not flavor bombs like English blends. The flavors are every bit as defined but more delicate. Your situation is similar to being someone who salts everything they eat, even before they taste it, and then when they taste something unsalted they can't taste anything. The flavors are there, the palate needs to get educated.

After years of smoking English/Balkan/oriental blends almost exclusively for close to 40 years, the occasional Virginia or Aro for a change, I just got well and truly sick of them. About a decade ago I switched to Virginias and that's about 95% of what I now smoke.

Initially I had to make some adjustments to get the most out of Virginias. English, etc, etc, blends are easy to smoke, forgiving of mediocre technique, and always deliver strong flavors.

Virginias, on the other hand, will school you. They are easy to burn hot and can taste of nothing but hot air. I put a lot of experimentation into learning to get the most out of Virginias and here's what has worked for me.

To get the most flavor out of the Virginias that I smoke I dry them down to just short of bone dry. That means dry to the touch, no moisture rising in the tobacco when squeezed yet still mostly pliant even if crispy at the edges. That's the sweet spot for me. That's when I pull the most flavors. Excess moisture masks flavors.

If I'm smoking flake I may stuff and fold, crumble, or occasionally cube cut. Honestly, I don't think it makes that huge a difference, but never underestimate the power of suggestion. Any way you decided to prep, don't pack too tightly. The draw should be easy and effortless.

Go for an even burn across the top, let the expanded tobacco go out, tamp down lightly and it up. Puff a few times to get it going, then long slow sips to keep it going. The tobacco should be simmering around the cherry, on the verge of going out. Kept at that level, the flavors intensify for me. Slow smoke, slower than you do currently. If the pipe goes out it's o big deal, just relight. It takes a little practice to get that rhythm just right so that you can slow smoke from top to bottom.

I also recommend that you gently retrohale through your schnoz, as you have many more flavor receptors there than in your mouth.

As far as types of Virginias, McClelland's 40th is a top notch blend of orange and red Virginias. It will have stronger flavors than a great many other Virginias available in today's market. McClelland had a house style and that showed nowhere more than with their Virginias. But you might want to save that for after you adjust your technique and palate in order to be able to enjoy what's in the tin.

I like C&D for a couple of blends, Yorktown and Bijou, but there's a world of Virginia blends out there and some of the best are from Gawith & Hoggarth, and Sam Gawith. The German made HU blends are worth exploring. Their blender, Hans Wiedemann, may be the best blender in the world today.

There may be a point where wearing a hair shirt while only engaging in the missionary position may feel a little constricted and perhaps boring. In that case, doff the hair shirt and try different things, in other words, Virginias with a touch of flavoring or a significant amount of it, as is the English tradition, perhaps Virginia blends like Virginia/Perique. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

Bowl size and shape doesn't matter one bit. Chamber size and shape can have an effect on burning the tobacco, but most people can't tell you what it is, so again, really doesn't matter. Personally I get better flavors from medium to large chambers when smoking Virginias.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
When I smoke Virginia flakes I usually rub them out thoroughly, let them dry for 10-15 minutes, and pack them gently. I like a loose pack with just a bit of resistance. The tobacco being relatively dry and rubbed out into such small pieces makes it very easy to keep the pipe lit. I find that this makes it easier to smoke the pipe slower and get the best flavors out of a delicate Virginia blend.

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
When I returned to tobacco pipes after a 30 some odd years hiatus I bought a Peterson 999 and a tin of Peterson Flake. It was nothing like i expected it would be. All those years ago I was puffing on Captain Black, Morning Pipe and some aromatics from the bulk jars at my local Tinder Box.
Even though it was a bit surprising, I took to the flavor right away. Now even though I get along with a wide spectrum of blends, I find myself returning to straight Virginias most often.
If I can give any advice, pack light and smoke slow. I don’t worry about the bowl shape so much. I find I get a more consistent bowl rubbing out a flake. But I’ll fold and stuff occasionally too.

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Virginias are not flavor bombs like English blends. The flavors are every bit as defined but more delicate. Your situation is similar to being someone who salts everything they eat, even before they taste it, and then when they taste something unsalted they can't taste anything. The flavors are there, the palate needs to get educated.

After years of smoking English/Balkan/oriental blends almost exclusively for close to 40 years, the occasional Virginia or Aro for a change, I just got well and truly sick of them. About a decade ago I switched to Virginias and that's about 95% of what I now smoke.

Initially I had to make some adjustments to get the most out of Virginias. English, etc, etc, blends are easy to smoke, forgiving of mediocre technique, and always deliver strong flavors.

Virginias, on the other hand, will school you. They are easy to burn hot and can taste of nothing but hot air. I put a lot of experimentation into learning to get the most out of Virginias and here's what has worked for me.

To get the most flavor out of the Virginias that I smoke I dry them down to just short of bone dry. That means dry to the touch, no moisture rising in the tobacco when squeezed yet still mostly pliant even if crispy at the edges. That's the sweet spot for me. That's when I pull the most flavors. Excess moisture masks flavors.

If I'm smoking flake I may stuff and fold, crumble, or occasionally cube cut. Honestly, I don't think it makes that huge a difference, but never underestimate the power of suggestion. Any way you decided to prep, don't pack too tightly. The draw should be easy and effortless.

Go for an even burn across the top, let the expanded tobacco go out, tamp down lightly and it up. Puff a few times to get it going, then long slow sips to keep it going. The tobacco should be simmering around the cherry, on the verge of going out. Kept at that level, the flavors intensify for me. Slow smoke, slower than you do currently. If the pipe goes out it's o big deal, just relight. It takes a little practice to get that rhythm just right so that you can slow smoke from top to bottom.

I also recommend that you gently retrohale through your schnoz, as you have many more flavor receptors there than in your mouth.

As far as types of Virginias, McClelland's 40th is a top notch blend of orange and red Virginias. It will have stronger flavors than a great many other Virginias available in today's market. McClelland had a house style and that showed nowhere more than with their Virginias. But you might want to save that for after you adjust your technique and palate in order to be able to enjoy what's in the tin.

I like C&D for a couple of blends, Yorktown and Bijou, but there's a world of Virginia blends out there and some of the best are from Gawith & Hoggarth, and Sam Gawith. The German made HU blends are worth exploring. Their blender, Hans Wiedemann, may be the best blender in the world today.

There may be a point where wearing a hair shirt while only engaging in the missionary position may feel a little constricted and perhaps boring. In that case, doff the hair shirt and try different things, in other words, Virginias with a touch of flavoring or a significant amount of it, as is the English tradition, perhaps Virginia blends like Virginia/Perique. Smoke what you like, like what you smoke.

Bowl size and shape doesn't matter one bit. Chamber size and shape can have an effect on burning the tobacco, but most people can't tell you what it is, so again, really doesn't matter. Personally I get better flavors from medium to large chambers when smoking Virginias.
^^^^^
Can’t put it better, so I won’t

proteus

Lifer
May 20, 2023
Connecticut (shade leaf tobacco country)
You have to like the flavor of grasses and citrus or perhaps bready notes. You might try capstan blue, 507c Virginia slices, WCC simply red or WCC simply orange, newminster 400, or p. stokkebye 402 twist. I would say there's a pretty good gamut of Virginia types. There's a lot more too. tobacco reviews .com used to have a search that allowed you to search by type. SP does too if memory serves.

Forgot one...Dan's Blend from Boswell. I really like that one. Newminster 400 remains my #1 VA.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Starting out as others have pointed out VAs can be rough, and the reason is the PH balance, they can bite, especially Bright & Red VAs.

I found a lot of great information online about bite, scroll to the bottom of the page, from this forum link;

Now, there’s nothing wrong with wanting to try VAs, but if you don’t treat them gently, they can bite, and taste one dimensional, not much going on.

Dry them fairly crisp
Gently pack
Barely light, no big glowing ember
Slowly take a small sip or two
Now, like a wine taster, taste for flavors
Let the pipe go out and cool down - then light and repeat

Do not worry about keeping a pipe lit smoking VAs, in fact, I wouldn’t even try!

This is how I smoke VAs, barely lighting, a few small sips, let the pipe cool, and repeat. ;)

Now if you’re smoking a one dimensional VA, then you can keep it lit, and smoke away, but for complex VAs, these steps work the best to experience all the nuances/flavors.

VAs tend to be generally on the Lighter Spectrum of a leaf, that if you don’t go easy with them, the flavors don’t present themselves. It’s easy to over do VAs, with to much fire/heat and fast smoking.

Have fun! :)

Last edited:

Merton

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 8, 2020
Boston, Massachusetts
Try a variety of Virginia styles in order to get your bearings: orlik, Amphora Virginia, Macbaren HH, Sutliffe red virginia and other member suggestions are good places to start. You will find one or more styles that you will like and then can explore much, much further.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Lots of great straight Virginia's and Virginia blends available, but like anything taste is subjective so what someone recommends may not be for you. I will say that McClelland 40th Anniversary and Christmas Cheer are great tobaccos. My suggestion would be to save what you have left, experiment with some other Virginia's, and then come back to the McClelland blends. Once you get the hang of smoking Viriginia's, you'll appreciate the McClelland blends more.

As for what pipe is best; I've found that billiards work best for me. Depending on the tobacco I'll either fold and stuff or rub out. Experiment and find what works best for you.

Reactions: Sobrbiker

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
A very rich, creamy and easy smoking Virginia is GH & Co. Scotch Flake. Another easy to smoke Virginia is Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia. If you want to wander into VaPer’s, try Peterson’s De Luxe Navy Rolls. All three are very easy on the mouth and forgiving of improper cadence.