PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
There have been 300 posts-long threads on usenet debating the above. Duct tape is the original and an enterprising firm took the name to new heights....(ducking and running.)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
This thread puzzles me. Even if I did happen to be preternaturally ignorant, I would not admit it publicly.
If you were that ignorant, you'd not be aware of it! But we are all ignorant in some areas; it's stupidity that cannot be cured.

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
The Duck Tape in the thread was a poke at those that say Duct Tape wrong as was the mowron later in my post. Sorry to ruin your fun. :)
I say Share a ton and Lat ah kee ah. I'm actually finding out when it comes to these pipe terms my mouth is full of bob ware. See how I did that again.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Ser Jacopo required some study and help from Forums members. I think I had it right at one time. I think you have to catch that "c" in your throat a little to get the Italian right, but languages aren't a strong aptitude for me. With Genod, I think you have to get a little bit of "j" in the G sound to approximate the French. Since I read about a pipe before I ever hear anyone discuss it aloud, I suspect I often mispronounce. Since Cairo in my home state of Illinois is instead pronounced like the corn syrup, Karo, you can see I might have problems. With Vuillard, just drop the whole English phonetics on those l's and go with "yard," I think. But the international aspect of pipes is one of the best parts, so I enjoy making the effort.

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
I do say Lah ta kee ah too ... but I write "moron" ...

To be honest my name sounds like table and spelt with 4 letters no one pronounces so I am not really a reference.

That duck tape thing is quite confusing too, I was pretty sure it was duct tape.
About Radice, isn't it pronounced like Licorice.
ra-dish / lee - ko - rish ?

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Add another one to the mispronouncing Latakia club. I will stick to my pronunciation, because it is far more mellifluous. Also, I freely admit that when I see the name "Iwan Ries", I have to mentally correct the pronunciation to "Ivan Reese".
@shutterbug: I wouldn't say peteguy is beyond the normal levels of ignorance for mispronouncing a proper name from a language he doesn't speak. And just so you know, one doesn't have to admit their preternatural ignorance in public. It quickly becomes intuitively obvious to even the most casual observer.

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
My German country fellows like to miss pronounce English words a lot.
That's just fair in kind return for English confusion about a certain philosopher's name.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrtSoASqjoE

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
aldecaker, I'd been doing business with Iwan Ries for years before I heard the radio interview on pipesmagazine and came around to Ivan Reese, and what a surprise. I'm afraid I still have the bad habit of reading it in my mind as Iwon Rees. I bet most customers visiting the store in person fumble that one.

...Like the guy who walks into the B&M looking for "per-i-Q."

None of us seemed to know what he was talking about. "Is that French?" "Sounds like a sliced coin flake to me."
"I cannot believe that none of you have heard of this. It's in Escudo..."

"Oh perique, ha ha."
"See, it is French." "...and, it was a coin flake, yup yup yup."

peteguy

Lifer
Jan 19, 2012
I guess I will lay it out there - Saw See Knee. Please tell me I am at least right once. :)

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Try pronouncing Goethe. In Chicago, there are six ways it's pronounced by natives referring to the street named after him.
And there's too much of a "cha" sound at the end of Nietzsche! The final consonant is more swallowed than the pronunciation given above.
Carpaccio anyone? :)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The coffee drink espresso ... half the population, like me, start out thinking it's expresso, like expresso yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.