PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

calabashed

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 10, 2015
So I just found out that I have been saying Radice wrong
Same here! I was saying it exactly the way you were until I chanced to hear the proper pronunciation on an old episode of the radio show this week. Ah well, not as bad as the first time I tried to say Butz Choquin.

Mar 1, 2014
Sometimes I appreciate foreign lagnguages that don't use the Latin Alphabet, because then they actually spell their names in English according to English phonetics.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Damn!
Don't feel bad, Pete.
The only ones I've been getting right were Sasieni and latakia.
Thanks all for the pronunciation lessons.
Fnord

dutch65

Might Stick Around
Feb 11, 2012
Latakia is actually pronounced Luh-tack-ee-uh, but I prefer to pronounce it Lat-uh-kee-uh as well.

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
In general, most of us could benefit by keeping our mouths shut.
One of my co-workers has a habit of running off his mouth. I review the file and decide what steps he must take to push it to the next level. Don't argue with me about my instructions. DON"T RAISE YOUR VOICE!! The boss is getting increasingly annoyed at this behavior.

sjfine

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 4, 2012
Here is how I learned how to pronounce Radice: I was hanging out in my local cigar shop, smoking my Radiss, when a sales rep from some cigar company stopped by. He saw right away what I was smoking, and asked, "Is that a Radeechay?"
"What?" I asked.
"Is that a Radeechay?"
"Oh, yeah, it is."
Turned out that he used to work for a (or the) Radice distributor (Ashton?).
I am really not sure how my brain picked up on his pronounciation as quickly as it did, but I dodged that stupid-bullet quite well.
Whew. I'm also glad that I never had to say Radiss out loud, never having to tell someone what I was smoking.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Sometimes the "correct" way and the most popular way are at variance. So, the way Latakia is pronounced in Greece and Turkey differs from common usage in the U.S. Who knows which is "correct"? Generally, tobacconists aren't good arbiters of pronunciation, and online dictionaries have been wrong from time to time.
I love Italian though I know only a few dozen words. But am working on pronunciation— big difference in single "c" vs. double "c"! And then you throw in the occasional "h" after double "c" for a whole other sound.

stvalentine

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 13, 2015
Northern Germany
Hahaha, you guys are too funny! My German country fellows like to miss pronounce English words a lot. I am sure there is not a single German here that understands that duct tape (or gaffer tape as I prefer to name it) has nothing to do with the waterfowl! :lol:

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
This thread puzzles me. Even if I did happen to be preternaturally ignorant, I would not admit it publicly.

Status
Not open for further replies.