PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BPatrick

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2024
Southwest Lower Michigan
Greetings!
I've had a Meerschaum Pipe for 25 years and after letting it sit for more than a decade I've really started smoking it all the time. Always loved it just kind of babied it as it's a nice ornate pipe....the ol sace it for a special occasion mindset. I've decided life is too short and started smoking it and remembered how much I love this pipe. After 500 bowls it's colored wonderfully and I mainly smoked aromatics through it with occasional English blends. I read a lot about them and decided to never wax or oil my pipe...just smoke it. Well, I've noticed my pipe feels a lot heavier. It smokes fantastic. No issues at all, except I'm curious about the extra weight. Now it doesn't feel like a piece of iron but not super lite like before. I'm wondering if all the oils and stuff from all the smokes have been absorbed into the pipe over the years and it's become heavier. It has completely colored and is a beautiful pipe. I wonder if the added weight is what's left behind from all the smoking. Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Again,no issues as it smokes wonderfully and cool. Never been waxed or oiled. Jist curious if other Meerschaum Pipe smokers have noticed this.

aztecbull

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2023
I am not 100% sure but by the look of the well used meers, I think it should be the absored oil, tar and smoke from the burnt tobacco. The look of the well used meers are gorgeous, don't be shy to share yours!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Very unlikely in a lifetime. I suspect a lot of the color that's not at the start of the shank is handling- oil and dust and detritus from the hands over the years,

If it were mine I'd wash it, but it takes a brave - or stupid- soul to do so. The real coloring from inside will still be there, but a lot of the dark will be gone.

Please let us see pics if you do that.

BPatrick

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2024
Southwest Lower Michigan
Very unlikely in a lifetime. I suspect a lot of the color that's not at the start of the shank is handling- oil and dust and detritus from the hands over the years,

If it were mine I'd wash it, but it takes a brave - or stupid- soul to do so. The real coloring from inside will still be there, but a lot of the dark will be gone.

Please let us see pics if you do that.
I wash my hands before I handle this pipe every time and it sits in a glass cabinet when not in use so it's not dirty. I'm not sure about washing it as it smokes so nicely. Something to think about.

Reactions: aztecbull

BPatrick

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2024
Southwest Lower Michigan
It's 25 years old! I wouldn't focus on the word dirt, but there is stuff on the exterior.

Washing it won't affect its smoking properties. But if you're not sure, it'll smoke fine as is.
Been thinking about gently washing this with Luke warm water and diluted mold dish soap with a soft toothbrush. I tried wiping it with a damp rag and nothing came off. Would I need to re-wax it after the wash? I guess I'm wondering if washing it will remove wax as I'm not wanting to re-wax if I don't need to.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Just think, if the pipes actually consumed all the pounds of tobacco smoked. They would be table pipes after a year! Lol

I got cobs that should be 200 pounds by now!

• Haha
Reactions: BPatrick

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Been thinking about gently washing this with Luke warm water and diluted mold dish soap with a soft toothbrush. I tried wiping it with a damp rag and nothing came off. Would I need to re-wax it after the wash? I guess I'm wondering if washing it will remove wax as I'm not wanting to re-wax if I don't need to.
One made and waxed by the carver, meerschaum never needs additional wax. Unless using boiling water, washing it won't melt the wax.

BPatrick

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2024
Southwest Lower Michigan
Just think, if the pipes actually consumed all the pounds of tobacco smoked. They would be table pipes after a year! Lol

I got cobs that should be 200 pounds by now!
Same. I smoke MM Country Gentlemen, upgraded, and my favorite the Crimson Gentleman. I've put a lot of time on both the Wizard and Dwarf Cobbits and they are as good as the day I got them. Then decided the Meerschaum isn't going to sit in the case anymore. Thank God for bulk tobacco prices!

Reactions: didimauw

BPatrick

Might Stick Around
Feb 20, 2024
Southwest Lower Michigan
One made and waxed by the carver, meerschaum never needs additional wax. Unless using boiling water, washing it won't melt the wax.
Hey! Thank you for the input as I will only use warm water. I'm glad I don't have to mess with waxing a pipe. I'm hoping by the time I pass this along to my son, it'll be almost completely colored. Then, it'll be up to him.