PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Bubbling surfaces , mis drilled air ways , loose adornments at any price range does not sound like a good deal to me . I do not own a Pete and until the quality goes up probably will not .

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
Of the major brands of pipes it seems that the Petersons take the most flak. I've heard of 'typical' issues of other brands, like incomplete cleaning of airways, mis drillings, improper stem fit, finish issues or whatever else can go wrong, but Peterson is the leader in this dept. on this forum.

After having been a participating member here for 2 years, I've become averse to pipes made in the 80's and up.

I've read about Dunhill's reputation for excellence pre 1955, and followed many a thread about issues of the Kaywoodie stinger or the narrow airway of a Bringham.

Consequently, I don't or haven't as yet, bought any new pipe other than a cob or an unsmoked I've won at auction.

It's less stressful to have lower expectations or none to speak of and very rewarding when you are surprised by excellence.

This may be the classic fox and grapes parable, but, it's working for me.

Here's to quality control. It's not too much to ask, really. I mean, if you're making pipes you should know what is correct and what is not representative and to pull the garbage before it sullies your reputation in the marketplace.

Status
Not open for further replies.