PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Pagan, I've had no problems buying new or vintage/used/whatever. Last new pipes I bought were several years ago though.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
I agree with the others who say that's likely a system pipe and supposed to be that way. If it takes a filter, that filter will fit into the stem. Does a filter fit into your stem? If not, you've definitely got a system pipe. Keep it and enjoy. If a filter does fit, can we see a pic?

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
It was sold as a 9mm pipe with no mention of the 'system' and it was delivered with a 9mm filter inserted into it. I would never have purchased it had it been listed as a 'system' pipe. So either way, it's not what it was represented to be and not what I purchased. Though now I think it probably was a system pipe with a 9mm stuck in it - which I would have returned just as quick!

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I don't think the XL 23 is intended to be a system pipe. I took to just buying straight pipes from them, less chance for a bad drilling. I have two X105, an 86, a 502, a 150, and a Canadian that are all excellent smokers. My bent bulldog and bent Rhodesian are drilled ok, though. Guess I have been lucky.

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
Peterson does not show that pipe as a 'system' pipe, and says it is available with a 9mm filter. Maybe the Guiness was flowing that day.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
When I bought my Petersons, I thought I had the cream of the crop. Now I want to use them as beater pipes and go get myself a decent one...

rfernand

Oct 2, 2015
That XL is drilled like the Sherlock original - which is not marketed as a system, but it still has a moisture trap.

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
My 3 crap Petersons took standard 9mm filters. No ambiguity, no confusion, just the correct mortise and tenon to do that particular job. (And it is not possible to confuse them for anything else.)

alexnc

Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
It came with a Peterson's 9mm filter inserted into it. Filter had Peterson's logo on it. Already sent it back or I would post photos.
Pete says: Sherlock Holmes Collection

The most successful series of pipes introduced by Peterson. First produced in 1987 to honour the most famous character in fiction, Sherlock Holmes. Available in smooth, ebony, rustic and some sandblast. All extra large bowls. Sterling silver band. Peterson lip and fishtail mouthpiece. Available with 9mm filter.
Kept screenshot of listing. No mention of system. Does title it as a 9mm pipe. Filter category filled with "9mm"

leadtungstate

Lurker
May 24, 2014
I had a similar problem with the original Sherlock pipe from the Sherlock Holmes series (someone mentioned it previously in the thread). However, it wasn't so accute as what you show here.
A solution would be still to use Savinelli balsa 9 mm filters. This is less tighter than the Peterson 9 mm filters and you can even cut the filter in two. I have tried that and I found it works very well.
This is of course in case you don't want to replace the pipe.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Idk. The "system" may work to trap moisture, but the tenon design tends to cause more moisture to condense. All my systems gurgled. Had to keep removing the stem during the smoke and shake/blow out the moisture. Then, unlike a normal pipe where I can just run a cleaner through it quickly at the end, the Pete's required removing the stem and swabbing out the sump. Which half the time I was too rushed to do, and then the tar crap turned to sludge. I also found the Pete's got foul unless I rested them with the stem off so the sump could dry quicker. YMMV but I'm glad I no longer have any systems. My remaining Pete is a regular bent billiard with an orange stem and smokes perfectly. So it's not Pete's in general I dislike, just the systems.

leadtungstate

Lurker
May 24, 2014
It is a pity that Peterson shows so many problems. Myself I have 4 Petes, relatively recently bought (within the last 5 years). Each of them had some minor issue. However, they are still the best smokers I have.
Darwin rustic and SH Hansom are currently my best pipes in terms of performance. SH Sherlock and SH Mycroft are not that good, compared to the previous Petes, but still very good. In general, I find them better than the 3 Savinelli pipes that I have, some of which are actually more expensive than the Petes.

Of course I have not that many pipes (13 in total) and my statistics are hence limited...

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
I would add that I've had very good luck with the Kinsale line. Have bought 4 new rusticated Kinsales in the past 4 years and none have problems. I do stay away from the smooth Kinsales due to worries about the surface bubbling. But with Kinsales, you get those great SH shapes at a fraction of the SH cost.

Status
Not open for further replies.