PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
So a good introduction to the English realm?
?

English as in where it's made or blend type? Stonehenge is a topped Virginia/Burley/Perique blend. The absence of latakia disqualifies it as an English blend but its toppings certainly qualify it as an introductory Lakeland blend.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
All I can attest to is that Samarra is criminally under-mentioned. Love that stuff. It proves to me that Greg is a wizard of his craft.

Salvaje

Can't Leave
Mar 19, 2022
NC
I would certainly agree that Westminster is a pretty heavy flavor, a very traditional English blend. I have to plead acronym ignorance here. What's HHODF? :)

C.Rorrer
HH Old Dark Fired. My bad if it’s not on the list.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Was HH Rustica discontinued?

I was interested in picking up a tin to round out some purchases, but haven't seen it available for awhile at a few online vendors.

Normally, I would guess it was just out of stock but one vendor used the phrase "this item is no longer available."
The US got one run in 2020 that I bought those from. Still available in Europe I believe.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
The US got one run in 2020 that I bought those from. Still available in Europe I believe.
Thank you.

I will keep it in mind next time I purchase from Europe. Generally, I save my tobacco budget for a larger overseas order to justify the shipping (and have no complaints about the shipping time).

Plus adding things to the cart until you hit the next shipping level price is entertaining ... to me at least.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Here are my favorites, that’s about all I can offer.

Jackknife Plug
Triple Play
Temple Bar
Haddos Delight
Samarra
Maltese Falcon
Sixpence

I’m still exploring more of his VA/VaPer based blends but I’m giving them at least 5 years in the cellar to mature.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
Yes, sir. Supposedly made with McClelland Orientals. I usually smoke a bowl of the 20th, then a bowl of regular Samara within the next day to compare. I assume the other components are the same (they might not be), but it helps to inform my palate. Both are a very good blend that I don't see mentioned often.
Just great, now I'm on a massive unicorn hunt. It never ends..lol

Dr. P

Lurker
Dec 17, 2021
Bakersfield, CA
I smoke daily and cellar Maltese Falcon (G.L. Pease). The tin note brings me back to my teenage years in Adak, Alaska where I would use World War II-era Quonset huts as my hunting campsite. The sweet and sour aroma is appealing to me, especially when paired with a canteen of Johnnie Walker Black label; both represent the smokiness of a campfire (who doesn't like the smell of a campfire?). I smoke Latakia blends in my straight billiard pipes because there's less gurgle-the worst thing is the taste of Latakia gurgle from a bent pipe.

Reactions: beargreasediet