PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Dr. P

Lurker
Dec 17, 2021
Bakersfield, CA
I smoke daily and cellar Maltese Falcon (G.L. Pease). The tin note brings me back to my teenage years in Adak, Alaska where I would use World War II-era Quonset huts as my hunting campsite. The sweet and sour aroma is appealing to me, especially when paired with a canteen of Johnnie Walker Black label; both represent the smokiness of a campfire (who doesn't like the smell of a campfire?). I smoke Latakia blends in my straight billiard pipes because there's less gurgle-the worst thing is the taste of Latakia gurgle from a bent pipe.
Ooops, probably should have provided some context: U.S. Army built many Quonset huts in Alaska when Japan occupied American soil in the Aleutian Chain during WWII. The abandoned Quonset huts smelled to me like sweet and sour (just like Maltese Falcon), and were dilapidated but of great use for contemporary hunting cabins; the best time of my life!

Reactions: beargreasediet

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
If you’re in the states GLP is a must try

vaper - Telegraph Hill, my fav even over many others held in high regard. Every palette is different
Virginia - union square, though I may prefer others this one is solid
Burley - Barbary coast would be hard to argue with
VaBur - I may be in the minority here but I like Navigator
English - I fell out with Latakia, but Abington is nice with a little sweetness
I believe you might be remiss not to try Windjammer!

dcicero

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 23, 2019
Michigan
I didn't see Embarcadero on the lists above...to my taste it is better than Cairo. Union Square with some age is great. And Fillmore is fantastic if you wait 3 years (otherwise it is good, but not great).
Second aged Fillmore. Older the better.