PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Just in the couple years I’ve been here, there are several “regular” members that have gone missing awhile ago or recently that I’ve wondered about:

@Ettrick puffer
@virkia
@Winterreise
@Morrison Jeremiah
@Latakia Dave

Some, I’ve worried about because of COVID, but I suppose members come and go all the time. You need look no further than some old thread with names you don’t recognize that were probably “regular” posters.

When @mawnansmiff went missing a few months back, a bunch of us got worried and were checking obituaries in Corwall, UK because we were in regular contact, then *poof!* he was gone. He’s okay and back, though.

@mso489 worries me because he seems like a constant over the years.
Latakia Dave lost interest in pipe forums. I suspect somebody upset him.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Just in the couple years I’ve been here, there are several “regular” members that have gone missing awhile ago or recently that I’ve wondered about:

@Ettrick puffer
@virkia
@Winterreise
@Morrison Jeremiah
@Latakia Dave

Some, I’ve worried about because of COVID, but I suppose members come and go all the time. You need look no further than some old thread with names you don’t recognize that were probably “regular” posters.

When @mawnansmiff went missing a few months back, a bunch of us got worried and were checking obituaries in Corwall, UK because we were in regular contact, then *poof!* he was gone. He’s okay and back, though.

@mso489 worries me because he seems like a constant over the years.
While "elder" members could comment better on the topic, the general pattern I've noticed (from both being here and looking at older threads) is that a large portion of members burn out or fade away after a year or two.

The names listed in your post would be prime examples of the typical "shelf life".

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
While "elder" members could comment better on the topic, the general pattern I've noticed (from both being here and looking at older threads) is that a large portion of members burn out or fade away after a year or two.

The names listed in your post would be prime examples of the typical "shelf life".
theres only so many times you can read and answer the same questions,like how many bowls do you smoke a day or Petes are crap, before it becomes repetative and you slow down and maybe eventually stop:)

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I have Tom's mailing address. Been meaning to drop him a card. Will get on that ASAP.
I was in contact with Tom some time ago but we never met up with the Covid crap. Since then TAPS is no longer as is the Raleigh pipe show. Had we met, I wouldn't hesitate to go by his place and pay him a visit. I know he's not far from where I work. I hope he is well.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Latakia Dave lost interest in pipe forums. I suspect somebody upset him.
Could be, but when I last communicated with him out of concern, quite a long time ago, my impression was he was enjoying popping in more than posting but was still making pipes (which I always thought were interesting). Still, it appears he hasn't been visible now for several months and hope he's okay - true gentleman!

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Where is Morrison Jeremiah? He’s been MIA too
He just quit altogether from what I could tell and didn't respond the last time I messaged him, which was in '22. He was kind of caught up in what was wrong with the world in general quite a bit of the time, but still had a good sense of humor and positive towards others. Too bad, would be looking him up on a trip across the pond this coming spring if he was around.

Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
I was in contact with Tom some time ago but we never met up with the Covid crap. Since then TAPS is no longer as is the Raleigh pipe show. Had we met, I wouldn't hesitate to go by his place and pay him a visit. I know he's not far from where I work. I hope he is well.
If you have Tom's last name, could you PM that to me and I will do some looking?

David D. Davidson

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2023
Canada
In the future I’m going to choose a hobby enjoyed primarily by healthy teenagers. I’m too delicate for the stress of worrying over our community cornerstones. MSO was actually the user who converted me from a silent lurker to a fledgling participant - after all, a group that managed to snag that friendly gentleman couldn’t be half bad, could it?

Status
Not open for further replies.