PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I'm an American living in Germany. Germany has some very good blends (HU, Rattray's, Dan, Peter Heinrichs et al). When it comes time to move back to the states how can I bring my tobacco with me? What are the limits for what can be brought in aboard a plane? I've only found information on cigarette and cigar limits. Can I also mail tobacco to myself? I'm not sure when I will move back to the states, it could be another year or two. In the meantime I'd like to cellar a bit but not if it means I can't get it to the states.

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Check with customs. There is a good chance you can bring back more than the "limit" but you'll have to pay a tax on it. Depending on the amount and your ability to prove it is for personal use (you aren't selling it) it could likely be a revenue tax (think moonshine) and not an import tax.

weezell

Lifer
Oct 12, 2011
I'd just start mailing it back to a US address ahead of time. If it wasn't some huge shipment probably no problems I would think...

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
How many pounds do you have to move? Seems like you could mail quite a bit of it to yourself. Between you and your wife, you should be able to carry 4 to 6 pounds in the USA on each trip.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Thank you fellas. There isn't a rush on this as the newest member of the family is due to be born in a week. We may be in Germany for some time yet. Should I get a reply from Customs I'll be sure to post about it here.
I'm not in the military. Just a humble man doing ecology research in Africa when I met my German wife. I believe regular civilian customs/allowances will apply.
FYI for those planning on going on holiday, email correspondence with Customs can take some time:
Our average response time for emails is about 10-15 business days, however due to the busy season it may take longer. If you require immediate assistance, or you have an urgent matter, please contact us at 1-877-227-5511 or (202) 325-8000. Thank you!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Do you have a settled relative or trustworthy friend in the U.S.? If you're going to cellar the tobacco anyway, and your relative or friend has a dry low-humidity place to store it, just have it sent there and pick it up when you get home or have it shipped to yourself once you're home. Avoid customs when possible, just because it's red tape and can disappear items, and sometimes comes up with extravagantly high fees. I'd smoke up your current supply as needed and don't try to bring or ship back that much. If you can't resist your European blends, I'd mail them home (to the same trustee) in moderate amounts. Aren't many good German blends sold retail in the U.S. online or in shops?

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
Agree with MSO. Either it will ship through without c customs playing havoc or it will not. You will not be penalized for more than the regular tax if they flag it so why bring them into the equation without need?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Avoid customs when possible, just because it's red tape and can disappear items, and sometimes comes up with extravagantly high fees. I'd smoke up your current supply as needed and don't try to bring or ship back that much.
Good luck avoiding Customs. You're shipping from outside the country. It's going through Customs. So far, with the exception of delays, I've had no problems. There's the risk that you could miss a perfectly helpful legal exception by not knowing that it exists. Do some diligence in that area.

aquadoc

Lifer
Feb 15, 2017
New Hampshire, USA
This lays out cigars and cigarettes. It does not discuss cigar size or weight. I imagine you can estimate but Sable is correct. Contact the ATF and/or customs. I still think mailing in to a relative or friend may be the easiest and possibly lowest cost.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/354/kw/grams%20of%20tobacco/session/L3RpbWUvMTUzMjc5ODE5Ni9zaWQvWEk1LUJQU24%3D

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I admit I have some Austrian tobacco my sister got me when she was doing a residency in Austria, and I really like it, but once it's gone, I doubt I'll try to track it down.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Thanks folks. I wrote an email to customs to inquire about what I'm allowed to bring back. I'd rather just stay above board with what I fly with. I am searched more often than not upon arrival in the United States. I think this is because I've done wildlife biology research and have brought back animal tissue samples from Africa and other places (legally and with the necessary permissions, permits, and paperwork). I am typically brought to a back room where an agent searches through all my bags for anything that might not be permitted or that may introduce some horrible zoonotic disease. This was especially true during the Ebola outbreak as I was bringing back bat samples.
Anyhow I will let you all know what I get from customs.
The thread about Rattrays being available for a limited time in limited supply got me thinking about bringing a supply back to the USA with me SP has Rattray's in stock. In addition to availability some things are just cheaper to buy here. For example Dan Tobacco Salty Dogs is about half the price.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Thank you Hagley. This is all very preliminary; I'm mostly wondering if it is worthwhile to start a modest tobacco cellar. I haven't kept a home in the US and we aren't sure what state we'll move to. It'll depend on where job offers are. The tax you paid on wine sounds reasonable (aprox 64 cents per bottle).

Our household goods may not be valuable enough to ship considering shipping costs. Might be that we start afresh in the US.

doverpipes

Might Stick Around
Jan 8, 2011
If memory serves, the exemption for a returning US Citizen is not to exceed one kilo of loose tobacco. Having said that, I can't recall anyone ever writing a duty or IRT ticket for pipe tobacco. Cigarettes are another story altogether. That is something CBP will zap you for for each carton above your one carton limit. Bear in mind, this is based on my nearly 18 years at JFK Airport in NY. I can't speak for any other airport. Your best best is to call the airport you will be arriving at and ask if the have a "Ship's Office' and ask to speak to the CBP Officer on duty. Generally, most major International Airports have an "expert" who can guide you as to what they will allow in and what they will 'write for". As long as you claim it on your 259 form, there would be little they can do as far as seizing it since you "legally declared it". Remember, you also have to stateyou are a "returning US Citizen" and the tobacco is strictly for your personal use! If you brought it out with you to Germany when you initially moved over there, you would have to separate what you brought over from what you are bringing back (acquired abroad). Good luck and always remember, honesty is the best policy when dealing with CBP Officers. Most could care less about pipe tobacco. They are looking for contraband and high dollar undeclared items (ie: Rolex Watches).

loadclear

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 13, 2017
As a former Loadmaster in the USAF, I've had to clear my aircraft with customs literally hundreds of times. Unfortunately, USCBP in my experience is one of the least professional, poorly educated, and inconsistent government agency... EVER.
I'm not exaggerating here. Ask 10 different customs agents, get ten different answers. This includes 2 agents from the same office on the same shift, working the same aircraft. I kept copies of the regulations on hand in case of argument, and that worked perhaps 50% of the time.
I've had Dole pineapple chunks in the can confiscated because it had "product of Thailand" on the label- even though the can was purchased at a US grocery store (with receipt) and had a USDA stamp on it. (He then started berating me for not having "Thailand" listed on the places we visited on the 6059 itinerary)
I've had an entire company of Marines have their entire pallet of MRE's confiscated because they had "undeclared" meat in them.
I've had a 12-pack of German beer confiscated because the "liters" of volume wasn't clearly labeled to his satisfaction.
I wish you luck- I'd just mail them home piecemeal.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
I'm hoping I'll get an email response from Customs that I can print out and place with the tobacco. Hopefully that will negate the whims of the particular agent on duty the day I arrive. I'll update this thread when/if I get a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.