PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Howdy seldom,
I just saw this post for the first time today. As part of my job, I receive large amounts of pipe tobacco tins from consignors for my business from various locations overseas frequently. There is an easy process to follow to get it done the right way with minimal to no risk involved. Germany is much easier to get your tobacco out of than many countries. Feel free to contact me at pipestud@aol.com and I will walk you through the process.

Reactions: UncleRJ
If you had of thought it out way in advance, you could have been shipping this...

preserved-plush.jpg

They say it is better to beg forgiveness than to ask permission. But, when you talking about customs... I'm not sure.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Whaaaaa? Are those collectible thing-a-ma-bobs in formaldehyde or something? And are they being anaerobically aged? Little bit of oxygen at the top?
Inquiring minds, and all.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Thank you Pipestud! I may contact you when I know when we will be moving back to the states. Do you think it is worthwhile building a modest cellar here knowing that a move to the states is in our future?
Cosmic, I still have time to get that together. Through my work as wildlife biologist I have transported tissue samples of animals back from Africa (legally with permits and permissions). This is probably why I get searched at US airports every time I return. Returning with a stuffed animal in a jar with the proper scientific labels for an actual animal specimen would be funny.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
Thank you Pipestud! I may contact you when I know when we will be moving back to the states. Do you think it is worthwhile building a modest cellar here knowing that a move to the states is in our future?-seldom
Well, I always think it is worthwhile to build a cellar full of good leaf. (-:
It just depends on what you are willing to spend to get your tobacco back to the states. A 10 pound priority mail package with delivery confirmation from the USA to Germany is about $76 at present time. I do not know what it would cost to send a priority package with delivery confirmation from Germany to the USA would cost. You can always check with the shipping department there to get an estimate. I always advise not to ship over 10 pounds per box for a variety of reasons. So, once you get pricing, you can determine how many pounds worth of tobacco you are willing to ship that fits your budget.
Pipestud

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Do you have access to a diplomatic pouch? Probably not. I always fantasize.

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
I can use mine, mso, only if the recipient needs to smoke while on a diplomatic mission that requires smoke signals. I've never been able to use it, but hope springs eternal. (-;
Pipestud

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Do you have access to a diplomatic pouch? Probably not. I always fantasize.
How I used to get my Cuban cigars. I had a friend whose brother was the Duke of something of other, Percy family, owns quite a bit of London, or did. Anyway, she would arrange for cigars to come in on occasion via diplomatic pouch.

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Received the following response today (just over a month after my inquiry). Basically told to contact the particular port I arrive in.

Response Via Email (Public Information Officer) 08/31/2018 09:14 AM

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Information Center.
For regulations regarding pipe or loose tobacco products, please contact the port of entry directly. Contact information and hours of operation for CBP ports of entry is available on our official Web site using the following link http://www.cbp.gov/contact/ports/. Click the state on the map where the port of entry is located and then click on the ‘Port Name’ of the specific port of entry for which you want contact information.
Thank you again for contacting our office.
NOTE: The answers provided in this forum are for general information purposes only. Utilizing this forum does not constitute reasonable care under the Informed Compliance guidelines.
The Information Center open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m., Eastern Time. We are closed on Federal holidays. Our toll free line within the United States is (877) 227-5511. International callers can reach us during our hours of operation by dialing 00+1+202-325-8000.

Customer By Web Form 07/28/2018 02:34 AM

I have been living abroad in Germany with my German wife. I would like to bring some personal use pipe tobacco back to the U.S. What are the limits for bringing pipe tobacco from Germany into the United States?
I am a United States citizen and will have been abroad for over a year.
Thank you for your assistance.

redglow

Lifer
Jan 7, 2019
Michigan
Was a general consensus ever arrived at on how much pipe tobacco one could bring into the country?
I saw 1kg or 2.2 lbs mentioned.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Travelling alone?
In Canada the duty-free limit is 5 units of tobacco per person. Thus, a man could bring in 10 units: 5 on himself and 5 on his wife. (No, your children wouldn't count.)
Wonder if it's the same thing with the US, where the declarations are per individual, not per couple.

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Sorry, jpmcwjr; I didn't list it because I thought Canadian tobacco units were irrelevant in the present context.
But, here you go: a unit is either 200 cigarettes, or 50 cigars, or 200 g of manufactured tobacco (pipe toby is in this last category).

Status
Not open for further replies.