PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

canucklehead

Lifer
Aug 1, 2018
Alberta
The change in cannabis's status is best described as a recognition that prohibition is a failing strategy, one that often results in fabulously rewarding criminals. Same as alcohol.

If you guys love criminal cartels and want to see them continue making trillions then by all means continue whining about legalization and continue supporting prohibition.

In my city there are now 5× as many cannabis stores as there are McDonald's, but the cannabis usage rates haven't significantly risen. That's a heck of a lot of money going into our local economy that formerly went directly to organized crime, mostly Hell's Angels or affiliated gangs here. Regardless of one's personal opinions of cannabis usage, I think that is an obvious net benefit to society.

We have 7× as many liquor stores as McDonald's, just for reference, and alcoholism is unarguably a far bigger problem here than tobacco or cannabis usage.

Sorry mods for the forbidden discussion, and also for @jpberg

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
The PTB are just as interested in, and involved in, illegal markets as they are in the legal ones. They rely on black market cash flows just as they do on tax revenue...probably the only thing keeping the banks solvent at this point.

And does Canada even have bowling leagues?

And I'm sure Cheerios are GMO...wouldn't touch the stuff...gateway drug to McDonalds.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Why be bothered by the fact that pipe smokers are posting about legislation under a legislation thread on a pipesmoker’s forum?
Doesn't bother me in the least. In fact, these threads can be very funny. That is, were it not for the sad, sometimes depressing, total lack of understanding of such things as; cause and effect, economics, free will, elections, the difference between a democracy and a democratic republic. Most here do understand the "tyranny of the majority" (The might not understand it but, they do rail against it.) and so forth. I find the total lack of understanding of how elected officials find themselves in positions of power unbelievable! Or, perhaps it is simply a matter of education or, lack there of. The reluctance of some to take responsibility for their actions or rather, lack of action, in the process of governing. Actions have consequences! Not being involved is a choice made by many. All of us suffer the consequences of such a choice.

Don't want to be involved? Great! Don't be involved. You are certainly, always, able to voice an opinion. But, admit you do nothing to effect change when you rant/vent and are, indeed a part of the problem, if you've given up on your system of government. I'd prefer you suffered the consequences quietly. Well, that's not true at all! There is a lot of humor to be found in reading and participating in the nonsensical. After all, the suffering of others provides the basis of much humor.rotf

So ... carry on! Amuse me! Perplex me! Make me think and educate myself! I find such contributes to my mental health. Thank you! Thank you! bdw

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
In my city there are now 5× as many cannabis stores as there are McDonald's, but the cannabis usage rates haven't significantly risen. That's a heck of a lot of money going into our local economy that formerly went directly to organized crime, mostly Hell's Angels or affiliated gangs here. Regardless of one's personal opinions of cannabis usage, I think that is an obvious net benefit to society.

We have 7× as many liquor stores as McDonald's, just for reference, and alcoholism is unarguably a far bigger problem here than tobacco or cannabis usage.

Sorry mods for the forbidden discussion, and also for @jpberg
I’m good now.
Go Habs!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Is it only them who are allowed to have and smoke them?
No they're illegal plain and simple, just the government doesn't want to act as native bands want to take it to the Supreme Court. One band started a legitimate tobacco business grand river enterprises. They export cigarettes to europe and sell tobacco to Rothmans benson and hedges

Reactions: Winnipeger

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
Enslaved by poverty. If you can’t join them, bring them down to you. Sod earth mud and worms. Best be cremated and have a trustee that’ll spread your remains where you wish them to be. In the meantime pull the handle and observe.

• Wow
Reactions: Winnipeger
Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
No they're illegal plain and simple, just the government doesn't want to act as native bands want to take it to the Supreme Court. One band started a legitimate tobacco business grand river enterprises. They export cigarettes to europe and sell tobacco to Rothmans benson and hedges
I thought that was plain opposite, meaning Canada as importing cigarettes from EU and England