PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

JSPiper71

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
The war on tobacco and adult's freedom to make choices for themselves continues unabated in the Great White North. Under Turdo, we have seen the rise of big government continue to grow and grow with no end in sight as threats underscore the devious plans they are concocting in their star chambers. Listen to the threats to reduce the amount of stores able to sell tobacco, increase taxes even more, out right bans, etc. etc. Stock up gents.....

MSN - https://www.msn.com/en-ca/video/news/tobacco-free-generation-the-calls-for-lifetime-ban-on-cigarette-sales-in-canada/vi-AA1mb9Rk?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=6b5e30178b1049b9ba3590b434f1e39e&ei=37

Last edited by a moderator:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Well, your friends and neighbors, those who vote, have spoken. Suck it up! Life is a bitch and ... then you die. And all the other obvious platitudes. We smokers are simply on the wrong side of the issue and the science. Try not to take it personally. There are only two, I can see, responses available. One, you listed, hoarding. The other? Quit smoking and enjoy the increase in disposable income. Both have their attractions.

Singed

Lurker
Dec 23, 2023
Prohibition never ends the use of vice commodities, it only forces them underground ultimately leading to government retractions and backpedalling. Don't sweat it until it actually happens and make your voice heard.

As addictive as tobacco and alcohol may be the government is more addicted to the tax revenue.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
I can't see it happening. It would take more time than he has left in office to pass that through and his cronie Jagmeet wouldn't support it either. The tax revenue loss would be too much to overcome. If by some form of witchcraft this criminal is reelected, then we should be afraid. Regardless, the time to cellar up has never been more obvious

btp79

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2018
Sugar Land, TX
Well, your friends and neighbors, those who vote, have spoken. Suck it up! Life is a bitch and ... then you die. And all the other obvious platitudes. We smokers are simply on the wrong side of the issue and the science. Try not to take it personally. There are only two, I can see, responses available. One, you listed, hoarding. The other? Quit smoking and enjoy the increase in disposable income. Both have their attractions.
That sucks but is also 100% accurate.

JSPiper71

Jan 3, 2022
Toronto Canada
When the disparity of the tobacco laws between Canada and the US start evening out (and believe me they will) and you have to pay $80 for a tin of 2023 Christmas Cringle, I'll then happily listen to your admonishments. Until then, at least allow me to bitch and complain a bit.....

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
When the disparity of the tobacco laws between Canada and the US start evening out (and believe me they will) and you have to pay $80 for a tin of 2023 Christmas Cringle, I'll then happily listen to your admonishments. Until then, at least allow me to bitch and complain a bit.....

I fully expected and have planned for that eventuality. I started planning when I first became employed. I found a job so I could buy a bicycle I desired and opened a savings account. If one wants something available for a price, one pays it. One either has a plan or they are at the mercies of rising costs, usually behind a curve. Either make more moneys or forego the pleasure of the pipe. It really is that simple. Opting for a less expensive diversion is also an option you might consider if tobacco becomes too expensive for your economic situation. Prices/costs rarely recede, they nearly always go up. One needs to plan for such. And taxes? Hell, they always go up!

I realize moaning and groaning about reality is commonplace, misery loves company and all that. All complaining does is rile the insides. Well, you may feel a bit better after an emotional release/rant but, that's it. Nothing has changed. Nor will it. Life will go on and you will, most likely, feel more put upon and aggrieved as you fall further and further behind economically unless you have a plan to meet the rise in costs. Perhaps you might even regret selecting smoking as your wee vice. Time will tell.

At some point, each of us realizes that life isn't fair, wasn't meant to be fair and never will totally suit our desires.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Meh. It's just talk. These regs will probably never see the light of day, and wouldn't effect me anyway; and I sure as hell don't want to see my daughter pick up a filthy habit like cigarettes when she gets older, so I'm ambivalent at best. I started smoking cigarettes when I was 11 years old, which was surely not good for my developing cardiovascular system. On the other hand, it was illegal then for me to be buying cigarettes, but that never stopped me from getting my hands on them. Same was true for marijuana. So what good is trying to control harmful substances anyway? Most Canadians are too reasonable to support any kind of unenforceable prohibition. That's why we legalised marijuana anyway. I don't think the government is going to turn around and seriously attempt to prohibit tobacco. Good effing luck. If that day ever comes though, I'm well stocked tthanks to certain American online vendors. God bless 'em, one and all!

Last edited:

yohanan

Lifer
Oct 1, 2011
Old Belt/U.S.A.
The question is, What are you going to do about it? Please understand I'm not trying to be a dick about this, that being mentioned, if you get enough folks to back your concern, You may be able to achieve change, of course, YMMV. Just saying.

Auxsender

Jul 17, 2022
Nashville