PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I have returned! With 550 lbs of moose meat off a nice bull dropped by my hunting partner Nelson on day 1 (Pictured below). It's no trophy, but plenty of meat! Moved over to my father in laws camp (25 miles by air) after that and stayed out a little longer to help them get one as well. Highlights of the trip (other than the moose of course) included Xmas cheer 2014, C and D Briar Fox, Sutliff Burma Road, Sutliff Black Cordial, and Dunhill Navy Rolls. All were new to me, and were definitely the stars of the stash I took with me. Good to be back after a couple weeks in the bush. Now, time to get cooking....

Last edited:

burleyboy

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2019
Europe
Thanks for the report! Good to read, that you have been hunting successfully. This picture looks almost surreal - I mean that in a good way!

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
That is cool. The only moose I've ever eaten was Moose Tracks ice cream. Welcome back.

Reactions: rogers

elasmo

Can't Leave
Mar 23, 2019
very nice indeed! Now I gotta hankering to find out what moose tastes like
?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
How does Moose meat compare to deer? Specifically, WTD.
Can't answer that specifically, as I have never had White tail deer, all we have here is blacktail deer. I prefer moose to blacktail, it is a little more versatile, and somewhat less gamey, depending on what part of the animal you are eating and how it is cooked.

If I had to compare it to any other game meat though, venison would probably be closest. But the real answer is that moose tastes like......moose.

Reactions: python and aquadoc

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
I didn't care for moose until some natives told me how to cook it. I don't get it anymore, but the method for a roast I learned was:

Season however you like.

Slow cook until 3/4 done the day before eating. Put it in the fridge under foil or anything that can be sealed. Let it sit out until room temperature and then finish off the last 1/4 in the oven.

Takes some more preparation, but it changed everything for me and I'd never cook it any other way after that bit of advice.

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Well done. My stepdad is currently heading out for whitetail in the mountains of California. I went with him one year, but the old man is too hardcore for me. I wouldn't mind it if I could stay in a hotel with WiFi and room service and maybe some prostitutes or something :LOL:

Out of all the game meat I've had, I think my favorite is Antelope. My Stepdad has had good success with them in Wyoming the past few years. It's not gamey and is more tender than vension and elk in my experience. Never had moose before.

Status
Not open for further replies.