PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

unadoptedlamp

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 19, 2014
It's not really much trouble. You just have to remember to turn off the oven! I forgot once and the dog wouldn't even eat it.

Prep time is maybe 5-10 minutes and the rest is just moving it in and out of the oven. Makes me want to get my hands on some more moose meat. It's a damn shame that you can't buy it.

Reactions: danimalia

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
There are many great ways to cook moose. For starters, it makes great sausage, jalapeno cheese summer sausage (great in hash cubed), polish sausage (great in omelettes with cheese), cheese dogs, brats or garlic brats, italian, breakfast sausage (great for biscuits and gravy), hunter sticks, etc. Burgers are great. As for the straight meat cuts, some favorites of mine to make are Moose Bourguignon, Carne Asada (I use the leftovers from this in southwest egg rolls that are amazing), Meatloaf, tenderloin or sirloin steaks on the grill, shepherds pie, yooper pasties (with rutabaga of course), tacos/burritos, stuffed mushrooms, moose and bacon pie (A game of thrones recipe), swedish or bbq meatballs, bbq ribs (with homemade bourbon brown sugar bbq sauce, shallots are key), teriyaki steak bites, and a classic roast in the instant pot. It also makes great vindaloo or jamaican curry. Basically anything done low and slow will be quite good.

In my lifetime I have probably cooked and eaten close to 2 tons of moose meat and harvested well over 8 tons. I am still finding awesome new ways to do it. It is a very versatile game meat. Certainly much more forgiving than Caribou, hahaha.

Last edited:

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
Very nice! Looks like you had some remarkable late September weather.
Bon appétit! puf
?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Looks like you had some remarkable late September weather.
Haha, on that particular day, yes! In general, quite the opposite. Shitty and rainy, buts that's typical for that time of year. On the last day of the season it actually snowed for a while. Kind of cool, but also not great for the trails, haha.

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Out of all the game meat I've had, I think my favorite is Antelope.
Antelope is VERY good eating! Up here the delicacy is Dall Sheep. Incredibly good meat. If you like pronghorn antelope you oughta make it to South Africa someday. Sampling the various antelope species down there was one of the great culinary pleasures of my lifetime. My favorite was Kudu.

Reactions: danimalia

seldom

Lifer
Mar 11, 2018
On the last day of the season it actually snowed for a while. Kind of cool, but also not great for the trails, haha.
But that cool weather is good for the meat! Glad you met with success.

Oh, and when I lived in Alaska I ate some Dall Sheep gifted to me. I agree that it is particularly tasty. Much preferable to the seal oil given to me to try (I passed on the muktuk).

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
But that cool weather is good for the meat! Glad you met with success.

Oh, and when I lived in Alaska I ate some Dall Sheep gifted to me. I agree that it is particularly tasty. Much preferable to the seal oil given to me to try (I passed on the muktuk).
Yes, the cool weather is not only good for the meat, but also makes for much better hunting, as the moose begin to move around and get serious about rutting. The drop in temperature seems to remind them that the calves must be born in may, and the bulls are much more likely to be fooled by my poor imitation of a cows mating call ?

What sucks is the rain. Aside from the obvious soakin-ass wetness, it makes the moose find shelter, lay down, and not move, which means you basically have to bird dog one in the thick brush before you ever see them, which rarely results in them hanging around long enough to evaluate the antlers for legality, let alone get a shot.

Yeah seal oil is some pretty rough shit. Muktuk is certainly not my favorite either, but those that grew up eating them certainly enjoy them plenty, and they make great fuel for those hunter gatherer types. But yes, it is some of the nastiest stuff I have ever consumed, hahaha.

Reactions: seldom

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Antelope is VERY good eating! Up here the delicacy is Dall Sheep. Incredibly good meat. If you like pronghorn antelope you oughta make it to South Africa someday. Sampling the various antelope species down there was one of the great culinary pleasures of my lifetime. My favorite was Kudu.

I'll have to try the Dall Sheep if I get a chance. I expected the antelope to taste more like goat or lamb, both of which I really like, but it's milder than both of those. Definitely would love to go to Africa for many reasons. Will have to add trying the various antelopes and the like to my list

Status
Not open for further replies.