PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Losing Gerrit Cole didn't help. And now that the young guys are starting to get paid more in arbitration the Astros are going to have some tough decisions in the next couple years. The fact that they are already talking about trading Carlos Correa away is Exhibit A.
The window of winning is about two years away from closing in my opinion. Look at what they did with Morton and to a lesser extent Cole. They rejuvenated their careers. Morton was most affected by the increase to the spin rate on his pitches. Maybe Houston’s coaching staff will ease the transition

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Jays sign another free agent pitcher? I feel like I’m living in bizarro world. This never happens, and now twice in one offseason. Very excited to see Ryu pitch at the dome.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
Everyone getting good and excited for the season? Spring Training games start tomorrow! I'm looking forward to more baseball happening that do not involve the Houston Astros. Should be another lean year for my Giants, but they're getting closer. Another year of development for some of their prospects, some of the bad contracts come off the books, and they strike! I mean, not a labor strike, but a "go-for-it" strike,

Reactions: Bowie and litup

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
I'm excited for the season but I'm preparing to watch the Yankees win 110 games and steamroll the American League. I'm just thankful that I'm not an Astros fan right now. But, who knows? Maybe the Red Sox were cheating just as bad and I just don't know it yet.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
I'm excited for the season but I'm preparing to watch the Yankees win 110 games and steamroll the American League. I'm just thankful that I'm not an Astros fan right now. But, who knows? Maybe the Red Sox were cheating just as bad and I just don't know it yet.
Well, they're currently being investigated, right? Really, I don't think any team should be all swollen up with self-righteousness right about now. The Astros got popped, but I suspect a number of teams were doing similar things, and the bell could toll for any of them if someone speaks up.

Reactions: Bowie and JimInks

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
They are. My gut tells me that whatever they were doing didn't rise to the level of what the Astros were doing but it's possible I'm just being naive. If they were cheating, all I can do is hope that they handle it better than the Astros have so far.

It's a shame though. This scandal is going to hang over the entire baseball season. Every time the Astros go to a new city, they are going to be asked about it. And whenever a pitcher hits one of their hitters, there's going to be a question about whether it was intentional.

Reactions: Bowie and JimInks

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012

We'll find out next week and the Red Sox, according to what I heard.

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I’m hoping my Blue Jays are going to be a dark horse this season. Things are finally starting to look like they’re turning around. Yankees are looking scary this year though.

Reactions: litup

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
A lot of cancelled games today, but the ones I care about have been or will still be played tonight. I would love to see the Yankees continue their rough start but predictions have them winning the most games at 101. Still focused on the Cubs while the Red Sox are killing my heart thanks to the scandal. Will this be a year of beanballs against the Cheatin’ Bastards of Baseball (read Astros) despite Manfred’s dire warning?

Spinkle

Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Just thought I’d mention that I’ve been watching a ton of baseball on YouTube the last few days. If you search for MLB the official account should come up. they’ve been releasing all-time games a day at a time. Not as good as the season but fills some of the void.

Reactions: seanv and JMcQ

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
There still isn't any timeline for a start date. People have to get back to work before the next depression so I'd guess some time in June.

The Astros could have avoided some of the condemnation that has rained down on them if the President and GM had shown any class about this at all. And angering the press by banning a woman from the dressing room for a period of time was truly a dumb move. One thing you have to say is that they did a great job in building the ball club.

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
I have a team with both leagues to root for; Boston Red Sox and the Chicago Cubs, with a soft spot for the Nats (I jumped in big time when they came to Washington) and Cleveland. Before the Cubs I grew up with the Braves and fondly remover the Glavine-Maddox-Smoltz era. John Smoltz will ALWAYS be my favorite pitcher and had the immense privilege of meeting him in person. My favorite slugger? Easy, Big Papi David Ortiz. But I’m more of a fan of pitching.

Off season insights? I just mainly bitch and rant through the off season. Clubs doing their reorganization just makes my head hurt. I’m still fuming over Manny Machado ruining Dustin Pedroia’s career. Aarrrgh!
I have a team with both leagues to root for; Boston Red Sox and the Chicago Cubs, with a soft spot for the Nats (I jumped in big time when they came to Washington) and Cleveland. Before the Cubs I grew up with the Braves and fondly remover the Glavine-Maddox-Smoltz era. John Smoltz will ALWAYS be my favorite pitcher and had the immense privilege of meeting him in person. My favorite slugger? Easy, Big Papi David Ortiz. But I’m more of a fan of pitching.

Off season insights? I just mainly bitch and rant through the off season. Clubs doing their reorganization just makes my head hurt. I’m still fuming over Manny Machado ruining Dustin Pedroia’s career. Aarrrgh!

I loved the 90’s Braves. That pitching trio was out of this world! I fondly refer to those years as the TBS years.

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Big time Braves fan here. Growing up in the 90s, I was raised in the Chipper Jones era. I've been fortunate enough to go to a couple games in their new ballpark, too. Great park, and a great crop of young talents who should be pillars of the franchise for quite some time.

Just don't ask me about that horrifying NLDS game 7... I'm still healing.

Big time Braves fan here too. Cut my teeth in the late 80’s and 90’s watching them on TBS. That pitching staff was incredible. Was glad to see all three and Chipper go to the HOF.
Haven’t been to the new ballpark yet. Kinda hard to justify a road trip up from Orlando like I used to be able to. Funny how age can do that to you. Me and baseball buddy used to leave early in the AM and drive ORLANDO to Atlanta., get hotdogs at the varsity, go to Turner Field to see the Braves, and then drive Atlanta to Orlando after the game. Now that I’m older and wiser, I just pay to watch them on TV. It’s cheaper.

magicpiper

Jul 9, 2018
MCO
Well, they're currently being investigated, right? Really, I don't think any team should be all swollen up with self-righteousness right about now. The Astros got popped, but I suspect a number of teams were doing similar things, and the bell could toll for any of them if someone speaks up.

Yup...I’m quite sure the Astros weren’t the only team to ever think of that. They were just stupid enough to get caught. Oh well. That World Series trophy needs an asterisks on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.