PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinkle

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 16, 2019
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Blue Jays resigned Phillippe Aumont to a minor league contract today so they're clearly working on the pitching trying to cobble together some sort of rotation. Being the lone Canadian team really makes it difficult to sign the big name free agents unfortunately.

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
We didn't have WGN here in the Bay Area, but I'd go and visit relatives and always enjoy watching the Cubs games with Harry Carey broadcasting. We did have TBS, though, which meant a lot of Braves games during that dominant period when they had 3 HOFers in their pitching rotation (and usually an All Star or two to round it out). God, I hated that team. Maddux in the mid-90s and Pedro Martinez in the late 90s/early oughts were the most dominant pitchers I've ever seen.

I actually think there's a chance Bumgarner comes back if the market for him is cool due to the draft pick compensation rules (which need to go away). After spending most of his prime pitching on a very team-friendly deal, he is likely looking for big money, and I certainly don't blame him. But as we saw last winter, it's not always there for those good, but not elite pitchers with draft picks attached.

haparnold

Lifer
Aug 9, 2018
Colorado Springs, CO
Big time Braves fan here. Growing up in the 90s, I was raised in the Chipper Jones era. I've been fortunate enough to go to a couple games in their new ballpark, too. Great park, and a great crop of young talents who should be pillars of the franchise for quite some time.

Just don't ask me about that horrifying NLDS game 7... I'm still healing.

Reactions: Jwebb90

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I have a great passion for baseball. I am long time Royals fan and Brooklyn Dodger fan. I use to catch 10-15 games live but as I have gotten older I have retired to the recliner and the TV.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
My dad took me to a White Sox game at the old Comesky Park on the South Side when I was about ten. We had great seats near ground level at third base, from a business associate of my dad's. That settled my loyalties, though most of the family followed the Cubs at Wrigley Field in later years. I was elated when the odd-lot Sox won the World Series, and enjoyed it again (though not quite as much) when the Cubs finally won. Both had been generations since their last World Series games. Now it feels like it will never happen again, but what a kick when it did. My wife grew up a Cardinals fan, but now splits her loyalties between them and the Yankees, from her decades in NY.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Shortstop? i.e., what position(s) did you play?
BA?

I was mainly an outfielder, but I did play a little first base. A few times, when needed, I caught, played second and third. Only played shortstop once. We had a durn good one who hardly ever missed a game.

I was not a power hitter, although I did hit for the cycle once at age 37 (the homer was an inside the parker). I was more of a Pete Rose type, so I generally batted lead off or second. I usually stole 30- 40 bases a year, and didn't strike out much because I was a contact hitter. Walked a lot. I had quick wrists and a good batting eye. Never hit below .300 in my life.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
You know a sport is great to play when even the practices and workouts are fun. That was certainly the case for me with baseball.

I only played football one season because for every game, you had 5 miserable practices full of running and bear-crawls and old men screaming at you and calling you ladies. It sucked.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Thank heavens for Lacrosse. No waiting around to make up for a missed play as in BB, and generally good coaching, so few insults to the players as in FB. And everybody runs- except the goalie.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Big money being spent and some big names signing. It's been an exciting off season so far.
As an A's fan I am not happy seeing the Angels get better.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
The Jays are in conversation for a few big name players according to mlbtraderumors.com
Lots of big names off the board already. I'm surprised to see Bumgarner go to the Dbacks and very surprised to see Kluber traded to Texas. Doesn't seem likeTexas had to give much up to get him.

fightnhampster

Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
Uh oh. I see some a's and angels fans on here...

I'm a rangers fan. Followed them a little in the 80's as a kid then jumped back in with both feet in about 2005.

Reactions: seanv

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
If Kluber comes back and is healthy enough to pitch more than 35 innings, the Rangers got a great deal. But at soon-to-be 34 years of age, I don't think you can count on him returning to his Cy Young form.

rdoss16

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2019
Nationals fan here. DC/VA born and raised. still riding the high of our WS win, but tough to lose Rendon to the Angels. Hoping we can keep and build our bullpen

Reactions: seanv and Bowie

Bowie

Oct 24, 2019
Minnesota
Lifelong Astros fan here. Is 2017 repeatable? Well, I've never been accused of being an optimist, so I'll just hold on to 2017.

litup

Oct 16, 2015
Sacramento, CA
Losing Gerrit Cole didn't help. And now that the young guys are starting to get paid more in arbitration the Astros are going to have some tough decisions in the next couple years. The fact that they are already talking about trading Carlos Correa away is Exhibit A.

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Lifelong Astros fan here. Is 2017 repeatable? Well, I've never been accused of being an optimist, so I'll just hold on to 2017.
I think Houston has a great core. They are a threat to go deep in the playoffs each year. Look at how they did this year with some of their stars missing significant time. The only certainty here is that the AL West just got a lot tougher

Status
Not open for further replies.